Spoiled Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobyace

Reaction score
Does this beer look spoiled. I moved it from the primary to a secondary and when I opened the primary there was a thick skin what was rubbery or plastic on top of the wort. A day after sitting in the secondary, the same type of stuff was on top of the wort

Looks like foamy krauzen to me. Perfectly normal. And more than likely because you racked to secondary too soon, and it wasn't done fermenting yet, so the yeast is going back to work in secondary.

yes that is the pic. Had a hard time trying to get it posted. The foam itself was super rubbery.

Listen to Revvy...its krausen. Your beer is at peak fermentation...don't mess with it! Be patient.

It's a pretty little krausen, be aware that fermentation sometimes gets alot fuglier than that. Sometimes you will have fat chunky brown splotches on top of that, sometimes it will be green or even black. Sometimes it will fill up the fermentor so you won't be able to see anything at all, and spew out the airlock and/or blow off the lid and/or airlock. Sometimes it is alot less than that, as in lager beers, sometimes it looks like an oil slick, it all depends on the beer your making and it's all good:mug:

The original gravity was 1.064. When I transfered it to the secondary it was 1.021.

Latest posts

Back