So I am using my Shirron for the first time Friday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
2 questions:

I live in Florida, and our hose water usually isnt very cold. Can I submerge the plate chiller in a cooler full of ice water instead of running the garden hose through it?

And I use a SS mesh tea ball for my hops to keep the particulate out. Should I strain anymore before running it through the chiller?

TY and I am sure this has been asked before, so I apologize for redundancy

We don't answer Shirron questions til' Saturday. :D

Try it and see what you get, then go from there. Lots have asked about ice vcooling their PC's but I don't think anyone actuall has.

As to the particulate, if the PC plugs, try something else.

If when done brewing. You find while cleaning you get a lot of trash out of the PC. Try something different next time.

There are lots of solution to dealing with PC issues. Some work great for others. Some not.

Unless you have some way of moving the cold water through the channels I doubt it will work. Go to Harbor Freight if you have one nearby and get a pond pump and push the ice water through after you have brought the temps down first pass with ground water.

Unless you have some way of moving the cold water through the channels I doubt it will work. Go to Harbor Freight if you have one nearby and get a pond pump and push the ice water through after you have brought the temps down first pass with ground water.

i figured if it is submerged in the ice water, the water will move through the channels on its on. Laws of physics say hot moves toward cold

I actually have no idea

i figured if it is submerged in the ice water, the water will move through the channels on its on. Laws of physics say hot moves toward cold

I actually have no idea

Huh?

So, you don't plan to run cold water through the chiller by pressure at all?

Huh?

So, you don't plan to run cold water through the chiller by pressure at all?

no, see thats what I was initially asking.

Hoping it would work by just submerging it in 10g of ice water instead of pumping the water. Cold water will go into the holes via gravity, and hopefully thermodynamics takes over from there

no, see thats what I was initially asking.

Hoping it would work by just submerging it in 10g of ice water instead of pumping the water. Cold water will go into the holes via gravity, and hopefully thermodynamics takes over from there

Nope. Need more flow than that brother. All that would do is heat the water inside the chiller to match the wort.

Sure, there would be some thermodynamic flow but not as profound as you are thinking.

Nope. Need more flow than that brother. All that would do is heat the water inside the chiller to match the wort.

Sure, there would be some thermodynamic flow but not as profound as you are thinking.

awsome sir, thats what I needed to know

Latest posts

Back