Muscelmen's Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheaperPlease

Reaction score
I intend to use Muscelmen's Cider this weekend to do my first cider and was wondering if this is right for this... the only thing other than cider is Vitamin C and citric acid would not be a problem. I also lucked into some white labs Sweet Mead yeast for cheap and I dont see people using this, is it commen?

The juice sounds fine. Mead yeast has been selected for high ABV tolerence, but my experience has been that the yeast doesn't make much dfference in ciders. Granted, I have not used a Kolsh or Belgian yeast for cider. Either of those would probably make a strange cider.

Went through with it, been in the primary for 7 days now and is still going mad. The airlock has been going an average of 60 bpi a minute the entire time and dosnt show any sign of stopping soon. Is this normal or a promise of an extremely alcoholic cider? Still smells like apples so I wouldnt say its going to bite to hard.

Also if anybody has spiced their cider id love to get some segestions, I want this to be a winter warmer.

i've been dealing with fourms for years and this has to be the slowest I have ever delt with. Their is a lack of help in alot of sections. I know people have made spiced cider, come out the woodwork and help somebody once in a while, who would support a helpless forum?

unfortunately there aren't as many cider brewers out there are as there are beer brewers, so the reply's will be fewer and slower.
i'm currently making a gallon of cider for the first time, and i'm not using spices, but from what i understand you can add spices in the secondary fermenter in a grain steeping bag and leave them in there until you get the desired flavor. But again, i've never done this and i'm no expert, just repeating what i've read

CheaperPlease said:
Also if anybody has spiced their cider id love to get some segestions, I want this to be a winter warmer.
You know the spices you like and quantities you prefer to taste.
Try Spyk'd suggestion of the search function to see what's been posted before.
Cider doesn't need spices IMHO, just brew a 'plain' version, age it well and then think about doing a cider version of 'mulled wine' on the cold nights. It's easier to add spices you like once in a while to a couple of glasses than try and mask the same flavours in 5 Gallons...... :D

Thank god, I was going to file missing persons reports in a few days. Thanks for the help, Sounds like ill be adding spice to the glass, maybe spice a gallon or 2 when bottling and see how it works out. Thats the way I heard Sam from Dogfish head say, making a potent spice tea at bottling instead of trying to add it to secondary, gives a fresher spice flavor.

Back