Force Carbonating without CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insaneferret

Reaction score
okay, i have a 5lb CO2 tank, cornies, the whole nine yards, i generally prefer force carbonating my brews

i had this somewhat insane idea of filling one of my empty cornies 1/3 full with cheap **** sugar water, some yeast nutrient and a pack of crap bakers yeast and connecting it to a keg of fresh brew with the idea that the keg of horrible prison hooch will give off enough CO2 to carbonate the keg of good brew

Am i completely bat**** insane and trying to blow my fridge up?

First, I doubt it would work, not enough pressure will be given off. Second, you'd spend more on the crap yeast and sugar water than you would on the amount of CO2 required to force carb a keg. Waste of time and money if you ask me

And I don't wanna know what the output of the hoochtank would smell like, but I wouldn't want to carb my beer with it.

Sugar water tends to ferment fast and hot. You'd probably get enough pressure, or even too much, but without using an activated charcoal filter you'd get some nasty esters and fusel alcohols. Plus, add in the costs of connectors, hose and a gauge.

And by starting with air in the source keg, you'd oxidize your beer.

There was a thread where a guy trapped co2 from active fermention in bladders of some sort and used that co2 to car with i know of at least one brewery that does this red oak in whitsett north carolina traps co2 for carbing later on.

I"m sure that brewery is pressurizing the collected CO2 though.

neat idea, but sooooo not worth it for practical use.

Back