Kegging/oxydation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmou984

Reaction score
I am about to keg an altbeir for a party next weekend. If I keg it now do i have to force carbonate it now or can I let it be in the keg until a few days before the party. I've never kegged before so I'm concerned of oxidation in the beer from being in the sealed keg for too long before force carbonation.

Put the beer in the keg, pressurize it to about 30 PSI, purge, and re-pressurize a few more times to expel as much O2 as you can, and you should be good. As long as you get rid of the O2 in the headspace you shouldn't see any oxidation problems. The 30PSI blast will also seal the keg lid, which can leak if not sealed quickly.

I know what to do. I'm asking if it's necessary to force carb immediately or keg it and force carb it sometime next week.

def carb it now to give you enough time to make sure your carbonation level is right

once its carbonated it's just like a big bottle - as long as you were careful with your process and purge the o2 and have a good seal you won't get any oxidation, esp in less than 1 weeks time

I've never kegged before so I'm concerned of oxidation in the beer from being in the sealed keg for too long before force carbonation.

Purge the keg fully with CO2 before you rack and oxidation will never be a concern.

If you purge the keg, it doesn't matter how long it sits before you actually carbonate it. At that point there is no more oxygen, hence, no risk of oxidation. A more pressuing issue is how long you have before the party. Unless you are going to do the blast and shake method, you better get the gas on soon or you'll be serving flat beer this weekend.

BBL_Brewer said:
If you purge the keg, it doesn't matter how long it sits before you actually carbonate it. At that point there is no more oxygen, hence, no risk of oxidation. A more pressuing issue is how long you have before the party. Unless you are going to do the blast and shake method, you better get the gas on soon or you'll be serving flat beer this weekend.

+1.. I can get mine as close as a week with the burst method.. put in the fridge, set to 30psi for 48hrs and then at serving/volume pressure for 4-5 days and it is pretty good.. carb does get better though after another week...

The party is next sat. Oct. 13. I just discovered the idea of purging the beer and waiting to tap it later. Everything ive seen requires about 2 days of force carbonation. I'm just going to wait and transfer it this weekend. And carb it this weekend too.

Depending on your line length and how cold you have it I wouldn't push it with more than 5psi with blast carbing it 1-2 days before serving.. maybe even 3psi..

The party is next sat. Oct. 13. I just discovered the idea of purging the beer and waiting to tap it later. Everything ive seen requires about 2 days of force carbonation. I'm just going to wait and transfer it this weekend. And carb it this weekend too.

That's pretty optimistic. I'll echo what others have suggested and recommend that you start carbing now.

Back