All Grain from Amazon.com... seems really nice... oddly CHEAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
I dont know about this but i am thinking of ordering... Amazon.com has an entire section completely devoted to home brewing... Things like 10 pound bags of grain for less then 20$, a variety pack of 6-8oz bags of 6 types of premium orgainc hops, Hops seeds, Hydroponic hops setups... Over 50 extract brew kits in well known names such as muttons, great american, Coleridge, etc... I am impressed... I will give the link and have you guys look around and give advice if this looks to good to be true... some products i found perticluarly interesting... are below as well as the direct link

Amazon.com: home brewing: Grocery

And i heres the ones i liked the look of...

Coleridge Russian Imperial Stout, 12-Pound Boxes: Amazon.com: Grocery

Coleridge Brewing Honey, Raspberry, Raw, Unpasturized, 3-Pound Tub: Amazon.com: Grocery

as well as sevral more, an asutralian red ale kit, And so much more which i like the look of so much that i am considering blowing an offal lot of money... let me know what you guys think

Cheers

Edit: most is elegiable for free fast shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you get an official "good eye!" for spotting this one.

I don't know "Coleridge" by name, but the suppliers are all mentioned (Breiss, Gambrinus, etc.). And those prices are good, especially if you get the free shipping. A standard 10-pound bag can be a bit much for some specialty grains, too. I'll try to keep supporting my LHBS, but since my wife is an Amazon nut, this might be worth looking into!

Greg

Doesn't look too bad, but I am fairly underwhelmed by it. Most of the grain I looked at is more expensive than AHS and who knows how it is being stored in Amazon's warehouse. Overall, I think your better off if you stick with the top homebrew mail order places if you want to order over the web. The prices will be as good or better and you can be sure the ingredients are fresh...plus, if you don't have a mill you can have them mill your grain for you.

Those are pretty good online prices... and they are eligible for FREE shipping... worth looking into

I'm probably going to place an order tommorrow, just to give it a shot.
I'll report back once it arrives.

How fresh do you think everything is? It is pretty good prices tho:p

I might just have to place an order myself tomorrow too...probably get some hops cause they actually are cheaper then my LHBS and they have most of the hops I use on a regular basis...Good lookin out!!!

Yeah im thinking of placeing an order soon enough but im not sure what i want yet.

Cheers

im kinda lost by this Coleridge Russian Imperial Stout, 12-Pound Boxes
then... Product Dimensions: 6 x 5 x 4 inches ; 1 pounds

huh?
12 pound boxes.... one pound shipping weight.
are they just empty boxes ;)

I thought it looked good at first but then I realized that when I took an ingredient by ingredient look I still do much better with Morebeer. You really can't beat Morebeer's prices though. ( But you REALLY can beat their availability.)

You inspired me to search for beer stuff Jack. I was as surprised as you that Amazon had all that stuff. Only one hit for a base malt. :( $7.95! / 10 lb bag!!! :) $11.99 for shipping!?! WTFFFFF!!! And I am an Amazon Prime member .

I think it's an awesome find! I just ordered 10# golden promise, 10# munich, and 10# wheat malt...I figure it's worth a shot.

I ordered the Russian Imperial Stout kit and it arrived today. Looks to be okay. Has two very large (haven't weighed them) bags of DME, fair amount (likely 2-3 lbs) of already crushed steeping grains, three hop additions (probably a total of 4 oz.) and Safale -04 dry yeast. It said it shipped from Reno but I can't find out who really put together the kit - box says Coleridge brand. OG is 1.086 with Anticipated FG of 1.022. SRM: 38, IBU: 83.

Pluses: Good price and super fast free shipping (arrived in 2 days), appears to have quality ingredients.
Minuses: Hops are labeled as bittering, flavor, and aroma - they don't tell you the specific hop. Steeping grains are unlabeled. Unknown type of DME. Grains are already crushed - I plan to brew this wknd, but I don't know if they were crushed recently or long ago. Instructions are okay. I do full boils so I will modify accordingly. If you've been brewing a while, you will be fine, but if this is your first brew, I don't know if the instructions are adequate. Doesn't come with a grain steeping bag or sugar for bottling. Neither matter to me as I have my own bag and keg but it may matter to some.

Would I buy again? I'll know depending on how this brew turns out. I got an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas and figured this would be much better than buying a book.

Would I buy again? I'll know depending on how this brew turns out. I got an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas and figured this would be much better than buying a book.

I would like to know how this turns out i am interested in the ordering. I am still thinking on weather or not i will buy from amazon. If that kit is anygood... damn... it sounds really good... I wouldnt order a book either

Cheers i hope it turns out

I ordered the Russian Imperial Stout kit and it arrived today. Looks to be okay. Has two very large (haven't weighed them) bags of DME, fair amount (likely 2-3 lbs) of already crushed steeping grains, three hop additions (probably a total of 4 oz.) and Safale -04 dry yeast. It said it shipped from Reno but I can't find out who really put together the kit - box says Coleridge brand. OG is 1.086 with Anticipated FG of 1.022. SRM: 38, IBU: 83.

Pluses: Good price and super fast free shipping (arrived in 2 days), appears to have quality ingredients.
Minuses: Hops are labeled as bittering, flavor, and aroma - they don't tell you the specific hop. Steeping grains are unlabeled. Unknown type of DME. Grains are already crushed - I plan to brew this wknd, but I don't know if they were crushed recently or long ago. Instructions are okay. I do full boils so I will modify accordingly. If you've been brewing a while, you will be fine, but if this is your first brew, I don't know if the instructions are adequate. Doesn't come with a grain steeping bag or sugar for bottling. Neither matter to me as I have my own bag and keg but it may matter to some.

Does anything have packing or use by dates on them?

I received the Munich and Wheat I ordered in today. Both smell and taste great! Plus, they're significantly cheaper (shipped) than buying from AHS or my local homebrew shop.

I have no worries about warehouse storage because Amazon is one of the best supply chain management companies out there. They don't keep products on the shelf for long, unlike most homebrew stores.

One note - their wheat is actually red wheat, not white. They just list it as "malted wheat". I've never tasted red wheat before but it definitely has a nutty/biscuit flavor to it. Yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yall better give us updates on the quality of these brews!

Also, when I viewd thier site, it said it was part of thier free shipping program???

Also, when I viewd thier site, it said it was part of thier free shipping program???

Yup, free shipping on orders $25 and up. I looked at my invoice; the shipping would have been about 1/2 the price of the grain. So, the savings is significant.

I just placed a large order with Morebeer. Would have gone to BrewermastersWarehouse but I didnt see coriander, sweet orange peel or PBW there... all of which I needed. It sucks.

I am going to go play with an Amazon...

I just placed a large order with Morebeer. Would have gone to BrewermastersWarehouse but I didnt see coriander, sweet orange peel or PBW there... all of which I needed. It sucks.

I am going to go play with an Amazon...

I also placed a large order with morebeer this week. BrewmastersWarehouse just looked to high for bulk base grain when buying by the pound.

If you email him over at Brewmasters Warehouse... I think he has special bulk pricing. It is not on the site though.

well i decided to go with midwest because of a gift card, and amazon did not have the base grain or hops i required for my next brew... still looks good though... but will likely try Amazon.com in the future...

Cheers

I also placed a large order with morebeer this week. BrewmastersWarehouse just looked to high for bulk base grain when buying by the pound.

yeah, he doesn't have his bulk discount prices up yet, you have to call about buying by the sack (so I am told, I have never done it)

I just played with Amazon... but here is the problem I have with many brewing stores. I cannot one stop shop. Amazon is no different. They dont have 2-row? Lack many types of hops and yeast as well. Morebeer and Midwest are still the best for my location for price and inventory.

Definitely a drop ship partner. The specialty grain prices are low. I wonder if they're really old or something.

The Pol said:
but here is the problem I have with many brewing stores. I cannot one stop shop.

Ya, the only deal is the specialty grains. The hops are limited and I didn't look for yeast...

I mainly browsed the 28 Briess products. Looks many of them are out of stock now.. :eek:

Definitely a drop ship partner. The specialty grain prices are low. I wonder if they're really old or something.

Scroll up and read my earlier post. I just received 20# of grain and it has a fresh taste and smell. It's 100% Briess brand malt. :)

And no, it's not a drop ship partner. Did you even spend 5 minutes looking at the site? If it says "free super saver shipping", it's shipped by Amazon. ;)

I just played with Amazon... but here is the problem I have with many brewing stores. I cannot one stop shop. Amazon is no different. They dont have 2-row? Lack many types of hops and yeast as well. Morebeer and Midwest are still the best for my location for price and inventory.

I know i thought that was a shock, no 2-row. That is one of the most common base grains and there hops are not labled or eleborated on in any way, just country of origin and style... My recent brew is an australian lager, and i needed 8 pounds of 2-row and no luck... went to midwest brew and found decent prices on the grains, hops, yeast, and any acessories i needed... also midwest milled the grain for me for free, it saves me a half hour with a rolling pin. i also had a gift card for 15$ given by a friend for christmas, it helped take care of shipping atleast.

Cheers

And no, it's not a drop ship partner. Did you even spend 5 minutes looking at the site? If it says "free super saver shipping", it's shipped by Amazon. ;)

I think Amazon can ship "on behalf" of drop ship partner, but it does look like Amazon's item. I'm stumped.

That's what I commented on when I explored this. They actually do have a 2 row supplier. $7.95 / 10 lbs Slight problem is that it is not prime or super saver and it costs $11.99 to ship!!!!!!!! $2/lb for 2 row delivered. Done in a sleazy way too. I hate that.

I just bought their last Vienna, Dark Munich & Flaked Barley. I was going to buy 2 sacks of the flaked barley, the LHBS wants 2.39 a pound, so I've been brewing Oatmeal Stout instead of Irish. By the time I checked out they only had 1 left, I had to go back & add the Munich to get free shipping...

It wasn't free shipping for the 8 oz hop sampler. I put 2 of them in my shopping cart and shipping was $11+ on a $33.80 order.

It wasn't free shipping for the 8 oz hop sampler. I put 2 of them in my shopping cart and shipping was $11+ on a $33.80 order.

You're order has to be $25 or more to qualify for free shipping on Amazon. Your order was $22.XX. Next time add $3 more in some merchandise & you'll get free shipping.

I just bought a 55# sack of Belgian Pils and a pound of hops this afternoon. $76 delivered.

An update on my Amazon RIS kit. I was planning to transfer to secondary today but when I opened the bucket I noticed a strong apple/cidery smell, and sure enough it tasted that way as well. The SG was 1.024 with a target FG of 1.022. I did not notice any yeast on the surface but there was still some bubbles at the top. From what I've read this is likely acetaldehyde. Question at this point is whether to let it remain in primary on the yeast or transfer to secondary? Has anyone else had this taste 3 weeks into fermentation? I know it was a big beer with a OG of 1.086 so I expect it may take a long time for the yeast to complete their job. Any input would be appreciated and hoping this isn't my first case of bacterial infection.

I would probably leave it on the yeast for another week and the transfer to a conditioning vessel for at least 2-3 months. A beer that big is going to take time to mellow, especially if you let it get a little hot while fermenting.

Was just looking deeper into this and guess what - There's more - there is a Coupon Code for 25% off items in the homebrew catergory.

Not sure if a direct link will work with all the cookie stuff, but I will post it and how to get here.

Amazon Grocery Homebrew

Goto the Amazon Grocery Main Page and look in the header navigation for Sales and Special Offers towards the right hand side. Then scroll down to everything else and click home brewing, you can now page thru 12 pages of mostly out of stock products that they might have in the future but do not have yet, and you can get 25% off with the coupon code - BREWNG25

Looks like they will have autosiphons, better bottles, etc in the future!

I picked up a few bags of crystal as well as a tub of PBW got free shipping on everything, plus the 25% off at checkout. The prices displayed do not reflect the additional 25% off you will get!!

:rockin::ban::mug:

I would probably leave it on the yeast for another week and the transfer to a conditioning vessel for at least 2-3 months. A beer that big is going to take time to mellow, especially if you let it get a little hot while fermenting.
Thanks, I'll do that. I was planning to secondary for at least 3 months, so I'll just have to be patient. My beer has been getting warm during fermentation; part of the problem with living in Florida. I think my next project is to get a cheap fridge or chest freezer and convert it into a fermentation chamber.

Back