Who here is a sloppy home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
I mean, who here just really tosses the ingredients together, always adding a little more malt or not percisely measuring the qtys of the extract.

Adds a tad extra hop.

Boils and steeps longer or shorter than the recipe.

Does it really matter?

If I'm trying for something specific I pretty much stay the course, BUT every March I throw together the Mother Hubbord's Cupboard. It's a brew with any and all leftover grains and malt extracts and hops and other misc that I have from the previous year. Usually it's not bad. A nice spring offering to the replenishment gods... I'm not picky about mash/steep times and the boil is random and no notes are taken. So YES sometimes I'm sloppy. Also, I've been known to miss taking Hydrometer readings or taking them and not writing them down...

I'm really careful with things that can add a lot of flavor (high AA hops, Special B and other dark crystal malts, black patent, buckwheat honey, etc.) but if I get a little extra base malt to get a full pound, meh, it's okay with me.

I'm sort of like GoodRatsBrew.
I follow a recipe to the T when I think it matters.
I also stray from the recipe after it's been made one or two times if I think I can improve it.
I also make brews of what's at the house. I don't wait till March, but I make bastard brews with whatever is on hand from time to time. I'm a long way from my "local" brew store so rather than a 3 1/2 or 4 hour round trip ( and all that gas ) I'll make beer from my extra supplies sometimes.
I will say that I think about how to use what I've got and keep track of what I do so that if it comes out good I can do it again.
I've gotten fantastic results before by using what's on hand.

To me the word sloppy has connotations of cutting important corners, such as yeast health or sanitation. I'm not sloppy in that sense, but I do wing it a lot. I have a few basic backbone recipes I use for a lot of my beers, but I'm often on the computer in the last 10 minutes of the mash, tapping different hop combos into the IBU calculators.

To me the word sloppy has connotations of cutting important corners, such as yeast health or sanitation

The first thing that came to mind for me with the title was the mess I have to clean up when I'm done.
In fact, I get done most the time at midnight or later so it's got to sit at least till my daughter goes to bed the next night to clean up the pot and what not.
( I do try and fill the pot and dump some oxyclean in it when I'm done though)

I eyeball the grist, yeast, and water, only because they are the same amounts from brew to brew.

I don't know if I would call it sloppy. Making beer is more cooking than baking. With cooking you can vary the items a bit and actually improve a receipe. With baking, you have to be more percise. I am an excellent cook and a so so baker.

Sloppy (to me) doesn't mean cutting corners, it means messy and lazy. So, by those criteria, I definitely qualify! My homebrews always (!) come out according to plan and I tend to be on the lazy side of the sanitation spectrum- I have worked in molecular biology labs since I graduated High School- I know what's important to sanitation and what's not.

As a professional brewer, though, I am immaculate and no brewer rivals my attention to detail and dedication to process. Ask anyone who's ever worked with me. Actually, don't. That's just SWMBO at this juncture.

lgilmore said:
I don't know if I would call it sloppy. Making beer is more cooking than baking. With cooking you can vary the items a bit and actually improve a receipe. With baking, you have to be more percise. I am an excellent cook and a so so baker.

I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made.

I have been before. I try and do things the right way. I used to be more "sloppy" due to brewing without being totally prepared. i made more less than great batches that way, so I spend more time making sure everything is in place and I have a list to check off now.

Though to be honest, I have made some decent beers by winging it. It's just not as much fun as having everything prepared and thought out. Actual brewing time is cut down drastically when you are prepared too.

I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made.

I'll 50% disagree with that concept.

Brewing can be seen as almost a middle ground between cooking and baking. You don't need to be 100% accurate to have an award winning beer. Consistency is great for commercial breweries. But we are homebrewers and we're not brewing the same beer hundreds of times for the public to judge and pay for our product.

To answer the OP's original question. If you're a good brewer, you can wing it and get away with some great beers. But I would not recommend winging it if you're a noob. Learn how recipes/processes work first.

I'm too new to brewing to be this way yet, but it's how I cook and its how I knit, so I don't doubt it will be how I brew when I get some experience. My husband is the exact opposite, though. He's very meticulous with recipes and instructions. Since we brew together, I might wind up constrained by him. He doesn't realize that my signature lasagna that he loves so much would never have happened if I let myself be bound by recipes.

I go changing boil length and additions depending on how the thing tastes. Definitively reminds me of cooking (adding herbs to a casserole).

Agree sloppy has a bad connotation - I'm not OC about some things when I brew though. I do measure most ingredients but am not above eyeballing water levels. I also usually leave gravity measurements to the end (if at all) and may or may not bother adjusting with some water if needed. Now, like others if I am trying to replicate something I will get anal about all of it but usually I am happy with getting beer at the end... My day job requires some meticulous granularity of process and I usually prefer to be relaxed about brewing.

"I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made."

So you haven't tried different hops or different hops addition times than scheduled? I think you missed my point a bit. You can make slight changes in your brewing and get different results. You can bump up your Ibu's without adding more hops, but adding them at different times in the boil.

Brewing beer is an ongoing process that allows you to make changes to the batch much like cooking. Baking? Once it's in the oven, it's in the oven. Very hard to correct baking after the dough ball is formed and raised. Beer? Flexibility in changing the flavor profile even weeks after the boil.

Hope that clears my comments up for you.

I do BIAB so I always just toss extra base malt in at will to help with efficiency. I don't have a scale and try to use the left hand dumbell right hand grain bag measurement system. It's terribly inaccurate. One day I'll invest in a good scale

Agree sloppy has a bad connotation - I'm not OC about some things when I brew though. I do measure most ingredients but am not above eyeballing water levels. I also usually leave gravity measurements to the end (if at all) and may or may not bother adjusting with some water if needed. Now, like others if I am trying to replicate something I will get anal about all of it but usually I am happy with getting beer at the end... My day job requires some meticulous granularity of process and I usually prefer to be relaxed about brewing.

You explained my thoughts quite well.

"I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made."

So you haven't tried different hops or different hops addition times than scheduled? I think you missed my point a bit. You can make slight changes in your brewing and get different results. You can bump up your Ibu's without adding more hops, but adding them at different times in the boil.

Brewing beer is an ongoing process that allows you to make changes to the batch much like cooking. Baking? Once it's in the oven, it's in the oven. Very hard to correct baking after the dough ball is formed and raised. Beer? Flexibility in changing the flavor profile even weeks after the boil.

How are some way you change flavor during/after fermentation?

On very few occasions do I stay true to a recipe. I have yet to produce a bad beverage on anything I've tried except once (so far). I really didn't pay attention and screwed up a ginger ale for my grandkids. We couldn't drink it and I still don't know what I did wrong.
So following recipes, I guess I am sloppy and just look at them as guidlines.

Well shoot, I was going to make this real smart sounding post about how I get my beers all figured out when I'm recipeing, but now I'm running on 20 minutes sleep and 4 beers in and I don't even have the hop schedule figured out for my 'French Farmhouse Toasted Oat Table Biere', so yeah I guess I'm pretty sloppy afterall. Not to mention trying to squeeze the extra few ounces of beer in when I was dry hopping, is it sanitary to suck beer through a straw til the hops stop trying to escape?:drunk:

I probably put far more effort into sanitation than I need to but other than that I'm about as sloppy as it gets.

Recipes? Sure I follow them, for the most part, but as Alton Brown once said: "Anyone can follow a recipe into oblivion."

At this stage in my enjoyment of this hobby I know and admit I don't get what I should out of mash/steep process. I'm not above adding a half pound of light DME to the recipe during the boil. Heck, I brewed a few batches before I even knew what the term "sparge" meant. Of course that might explain why those batches were weak and thin in flavor and body. Meh, you live, you learn.

To me, a little sloppiness isn't the end of the world. You can learn from your mistakes and adjust yourself and your process. I like to think of it as practice and eventually everything will come around and be like second nature during brewing. My "sloppiness" has allowed me to learn a lot about brewing that I wouldn't have by simply reading a book about brewing and meticulously following a recipe.

Maybe someday I'll change but for now I'm having a lot of fun and enjoying myself.

The most important thing I've learned so far? Even what some here would consider a "bad" home brew is usually better than a lot of the stuff you can buy in a store.

Im really strict on sanitation, but like some say, just depends, thats why I like writing my own recipes....I gotta think thats a big part of why we all are passionate about homebrewing

The most important thing I've learned so far? Even what some here would consider a "bad" home brew is usually better than a lot of the stuff you can buy in a store.
....And thats why we do it

I spend far too much time figuring out the chemistry of brew - and food - calculating what can happen, what works, what does not. I generate stupidly complex recipes with long lists of notes. And then I get to brew day. I look at the recipe once. And start throwing stuff in without measuring or paying attention to timing. I take a dip from the pot every 5 minutes or so and take a taste. When I ferment it, I keep on tasting every couple days, all the way until it is bottled. Sometimes I keep notes all the way through, but most of the time I do not. As a result, I have a decent palate for what a beer tastes like at the beginning and what it ends up tasting like months later. I often can save an ale going bad by adjusting midway as a result.

When I get a recipe that turns out amazing, I dash down notes, and spend two or three brews recreating it and measuring out exactly what was in it. I taste as I go, compare, contrast, try to improve it, until I get a recipe I love. Then, when I brew it next time, I stick close to the central recipe, but tend to fudge one or two things just to see what it does.

I have a bad time sticking to a recipe.

Oh, and I am retentive about sanitation. I do not have enough money to waste on a brew gone bad because of bad sanitation. Whereas, a brew gone bad because of a bad recipe that I can handle. I just bottle it or barrel it, then mix it in with another brew that went bad, until they taste good together. Cannot do that with a badly sanitized brew, unless you get just the right bacteria messing it all up. Have made a couple great sours as a result of bad sanitation, but most of the time it is simply unrecoverable. Have also managed to find some adjuncts that do a good job covering off flavors. Or cover up when I overhop. Unripe mangos are awesome at pulling out excess alpha acids to reduce bitterness in a brew.

we dont have temperature control in our brewing setup, or even any proper brewing equipment save two old tea boilers and some fermentation vessels.
So when we brew its pretty much on the fly. i usually stick to some sort of style guideline, and then just don't stray too far during the brew. i do keep a record of recipes, ferm temps ect so the odd beer that is outstanding can be brewed again, when the season for that ferm temp comes round again.
my beer is good, comparable to real ale.

I'm sloppy after brewing. My storage room isn't great (plenty of spoilage organisms I'm sure - tin foil and airlocks stop them very well)... but I always try to do what I set out to do and I'm fairly good with cleaning and sanitation of equipment. Everyone can improve their process . . . I just need more improvement than many.

I am also a lazy / sloppy brewer. I am very good about sanitation because I would hate to see one of my creations go bad. I will sometimes on a whim by a different specialty malt at the homebrew shop I will add hops especially towards the end of the boil I almost never take notes and forget to take o.g. readings. Most recipes I pick out of thin air. I aspire to do all the thing great brewers do but at this point I am having to much fun coming up with original recipes. So far I have been lucky. There are just to many hop and malt varieties and I am having too much fun exlporing them.

Back