Refrigerator fermentation chamber users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My next project is going to be a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Those of you that use upright refrigerators for this may be able to answer my question.
What do you do with the freezer space? Can it be used for anything? I'm guessing there is probably alot of moisture build up?? Can you cut a hole in the section that seperates the fridge & freezer? Or cut the whole thing out and make it one big chamber?
Maybe its better to go with a chest freezer for this purpose?
I plan on having heat (via small lamp maybe?) as well as cool. Haven't bought anything yet but have been keeping an eye on c-list for a deal. Just wanted to get some thoughts before I pull the trigger on a unit.
Thanks!!

I was wondering the same thing. I recently scored a standup refrigerator with freezer on top. My understanding of these types of systems is that te freezer thermostat drives the compressor while the refrigerator thermostat controls a damper to allow air from the freezer to fall into the refrigerator compartment. If this is true, I think I should be able to bypass the refrigerator thermostat inside and not really effect the compressor operation. Can anyone else confirm if this will work? I have easy access to the thermostat inside the refrigerator compartment.

I use an upright as a kegerator. Mine is an older model and only had one thermostat for the freezer and a manual damper to control the fridge temperature. I removed the thermostat and wired my STC-1000 in place of the factory thermostat. Keeping the damper closed allows the freezer to stay quite cold while maintaining the fridge temp. I keep hops, dry yeast, ice packs, and some bottles in the freezer.

Look at the bottom and back of your fridge for a packet that has the wiring schematic. That will help you decide the path to take.

Back