Just Starting, Please Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I GOT MY MR BEER KIT THE OTHER DAY, SANITIZED THE WHOLE KITCHEN (not really) MIXED THE SOUP/BEER , FOLLOWED DIRECTIONS AND JUST BOTTLED W/PRIMING SUGAR, AND HAVE ALOT TO LEARN, I LOVE TO READ , AND I LOVE BEER. MY NEXT STEP IS TO GET SOME CARBOYS AND SOME REAL BREWING EQUIPMENT.

IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME OUT WITH SOME GOOD ADVICE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. WHAT DO I REALLY NEED???

THANKS

Look up a local homebrew store. If you've got one near you, go there. The starter kit at my local costs a hundred, and includes everything you need to start, including "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd Edition" by Charlie Papazian. You'll find it a great read.

Your local homebrew store can totally hook you up with everything you need. The kits are the best way to go - buy the most expensive kit you can afford at the time, because it will save you the cost of equipment later on. Scott's link showcases all the goodies.

More mundane stuff you may need:

A 3' length of garden hose. Seriously. And an adaptor to screw it onto your kitchen faucet (mounts bottle washer as well). It makes cleaning large items or filling big tubs a snap, and you can use it as a siphon as well to empty the same tubs.

Multiple tubs, large enough to clean and sanitize equipment, as well as an extra tub for a "clean surface" to put stuff on - strainers, spoons, thermometers, funnels.

Strainers. One large enough to span your brewpot (You'll need to put a grain bag in it for sparging, or put empty malt containers on to clean the rest of the malt out, or sparge your hop bag). Another smaller, something you can swirl around in the wort to clean out grain particles and hops.

A thermometer. Something that registers accurately between 60 degrees and 200 degrees.

A timer. A digital timer makes timing hop additions easy, and they cost little.

There's more, but I will cut it short.

Thanks Guys, I Just Ordered The All Glass Beginners Kit From The Link And A Few Other Items. I Will Have To Use The Mr Beer Kits For Half Batches I Guess Or Maybe Try Them For Different Secondary Ferments. So, Again Thanks. I Would Love Any Other Suggestions.

I don't know if you have U-brews in Florida but if you do they will usually sell you unhopped LME in bulk and Hops/Yeast as well. I find them cheaper over all for malt.

I pay less than half as much buying by the litre than buying kits. (1 litre = Approx 3 lbs). Prices vary though, so phone around.

If you want to eventually try All Grain and can't find a reasonable HBS in your area, find a brew-pub, chat with the brewmaster and they'll quite often sell you grain/hops/yeast if they are the friendly type.

Here's what concerns me... and correct me if I'm wrong. You said you got your kit "the other day" and it's already bottled? Did you skip the fermentation stage?

Kephren said:
Here's what concerns me... and correct me if I'm wrong. You said you got your kit "the other day" and it's already bottled? Did you skip the fermentation stage?

I didn't see any mention of a boil either...

Anyhow, you need to read Palmer's "How to Brew".. it's FREE on the internet and it is a very good read for beginner and expert alike.

Walker said:
I think a lot of the Mr. Beer kits are pre-hopped 'no-boil' kits.

-walker
I assume that's the case as well. Then again John might be dropping details in his excitement :drunk:

Well I finally tried it after a few weeks in bottles (4-5 weeks), and its pretty damned good. My wife even likes it and she doesnt like beer. I made the american light and added about 2 extra cups of honey.

Slow Down!!!!!
First get the Book..The Complete Joy of HmeBrewing
Second go the NorthernBrewer.com, I love their kits, all extract, extract with grains....all grains..., The kits give you step by step start with extract kits then go the extract with grains, one could stay at this level for many, many many batches by that time you will know what you like.
Good Luck

Back