Brewers yeast in luggage causes bomb squad alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know what is funny, I just flew the other day (no my arms aren't tired) and they didn't ask me that standard line "To the best of your ability can you say that nobody else has had access to your luggage?"... so I just figured they didn't care what I said they were going to examine it carefully. I came back from the beer expo in Chicago and had all kinds of yeast, hops, etc... I had 3 bails of hops that I mailed home because I didn't want them confiscated... the rest of the stuff I didn't really care that much about.

The real problem is, there is a fellow homebrewer out there somewhere who got home from a trip only to open his bag and find his yeast missing.;)

Ya know what is funny, I just flew the other day (no my arms aren't tired) and they didn't ask me that standard line "To the best of your ability can you say that nobody else has had access to your luggage?"... so I just figured they didn't care what I said they were going to examine it carefully. I came back from the beer expo in Chicago and had all kinds of yeast, hops, etc... I had 3 bails of hops that I mailed home because I didn't want them confiscated... the rest of the stuff I didn't really care that much about.

That's funny... Most airlines stopped asking those useless, pointless questions a couple years ago.

Awesome story find. If it were my bag I'd start believing in Santa Claus. What's funny is yesterday I was imagining what TSA officials would say if they saw a White Labs vial wrapped in a cold pack in my luggage. At least now I know...they'll take it out and put it in somebody else's bag... :mad:

"...an 8x10" package wrapped in mylar..." That sounds like the work of a prankster to me! Also I have to wonder what 'brewers yeast' is exactly? I suspect it was the work of someone hoping to get mom busted at the airport or such. :confused:

Prankster says to self, "hmmm, what can I find in the cupboard that would like the most like anthrax???" Aha: 'weight gain 4000'!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:South_park_weight_gain_4000.jpg

- M

Back