No Chill Case Study

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal2814

Reaction score
The No Chill threads have been interesting to me. It's the way I have brewed for years now. I never knew it to be controversial until reading the forums here. There are many questions about the process and its effects on the finished product.

While cleaning out my basement this weekend, I ran across an unopened bottle from an no chill IPA batch I bottled over a year and a half ago. It's been sitting in a cardboard box at room temperature in my basement since a Christmas party I went to back in 2007. I thought the entire box was empties but apparently there was the one bottle left. That's a lot older than any beer I've ever tried to drink but it has an Oxycap on it so I'm hoping I can at least get a flavor profile. I know some of the no chill questions specifically concerned bottled beer vs. kegged and the effects of no chill on long term storage so I thought this a good opportunity to explore those questions.

The plan is to gather a photo diary of the characteristics of the no chill beer. I want to get suggestions of what to look for since I'll only have one shot at this. Here is my proposed report layout (condensation will be wiped before each shot):

1. Basics of the batch from my notebook. This would include everything from recipe to bottling.
2. Photo of the bottle as it was found (at room temperature).
3. Photo of the unopened bottle at ~= 38F (my beer fridge temperature).
4. Photo of the initial pour.
5. Photo of the settled pour.
6. A brief description of the flavor profile. (If I should be looking for specific off flavors, this would be the place to point out what I'm looking for.)

It's important to note that I don't have a dog in this fight. My method of brewing is a no chill method and it works for me. I don't really care if the beer develops a chill haze and I don't really care if the beer has some off-flavor that developed between the time the beer was drinkable and a year-and-a-half later. I've never really paid attention to that sort of thing and have no plans to start doing so now. It also doesn't particularly bother me that my brew method isn't THE WAY.

I'll mention it in the official findings but it's also important to note that one study does constitute conclusive evidence, especially when there is no control group to compare to. I'm hoping the thread doesn't devolve to discussions on how the results are inconclusive. We already know that. I just don't want to miss out on a chance to study an aspect of the no chill method that is pretty hard (for me at least) to come by. I am typically a kegger and I sure don't typically have beer lying around too long after it is drinkable. And since there is a debate, I thought it a good idea to share my findings.

This evening I have a few obligations to attend to so Tuesday will be the earliest I can collect the results. Suggestions on what and how to report my findings to make them as useful as possible are welcome.

EDIT: Results are in!

1. Here's the recipe entry for the IPA in this study. I halved the Northern Brewer to 1oz and did the 1/2oz Cascade that is 1 minute in the recipe as a dry hop in primary on day 6 when I noticed the krausen fall. I put it on BeerTools back in 2003 and have brewed it 3 or 4 times. I rarely take an OG on a beer I've done before but the FG was 1.02. It was in primary for 10 days, cold crashed for 2 days at about 38F (my usual beer fridge temp), and then bottled. It hit FG at day 6 and stayed there until the cold crash.

As for the no chill-specific info, it was brewed October 13, 2007. I didn't note the outside temperature at the time, but according to the NWS archives, the high and low were 76 and 45, respectively, in my area. Brewing wrapped up some time after 9PM that night and the yeast was pitched from a 1.5 qt starter the next day some time in the afternoon.

2. 7/13/2009 12PM EST room temperature:
1.jpg

3. 7/14/2009 12PM EST 37F (according to meat thermometer in fridge):
2.jpg

4. 7/14/2009 9:30PM 38F (same thermometer):
3.jpg

5. There was nothing to settle. The beer was flatter than flat. Since I didn't experience flatness anywhere else in the batch, I assume I just didn't get a good enough seal. Or maybe the oxycap didn't do its job? But to fill out the profile, here's another pic after it "settled":
4.jpg

6. I took a swig of flat year-and-a-half old beer for the team. To paraphrase Clubber Lang, what did i expect from this beer? PAIN! It was all cardboard. I never really understood what was meant by "cardboard" until tonight. The hops were gone. The malt was gone. No creamed corn. Just cardboard.

So there you have it. My beer is old and has gone bad long ago. But there's no chill haze. The appearance-is-important crowd should be proud.

Hal,

I look forward to your report! The question of stability is what I have been most interested in (not to change my process, but to more fully understand the mechanisms at work).

It's clear that no-chill works for many, but it just flies against so much brewing science knowledge that it has me thoroughly flummoxed.

Jason

I don't doubt that it can work, but I have been reading through the threads and can't figure out what the advantages are. Is it just so you don't have to buy a chiller?

I have a wort chiller. I made one of those copper tube and garden hose ones. One winter I figured leaving the wort sealed outside on a below-freezing night would be good enough. I had an older smack pack that didn't yield a good starter yet so I wasn't in a hurry. When spring rolled around, I decided to let the same process ride until it ruined a batch since it saved time and it let me get a starter going on brew day using the actual wort form my brew instead of days before using a separate starter wort. I'm still waiting for that ruined batch at least 5 years later. (The only reason I even know it's been at least 5 years is that I didn't have kids that first batch.)

Okay so making a starter out of the same wort is the advantage? I suppose that is good if you aren't decanting your starters.

I think more than using the same wort, I just really like that getting the yeast ready to pitch happens at the same time I get the wort ready to ferment but I don't think there's a single "the advantage." It's a process issue. I like letting the wort chill by itself given the rest of my brew schedule. Folks like The Pol in some of the other no chill threads may be better suited to discussing specific pros. I never really thought about it until I joined homebrewtalk. It made since in my process and still makes sense in my process so that's what I do.

Yeah, fits some peoples systems and others not so much. Are you guys just putting these in better bottles and covering them with foil or what?

I put the wort in an ale pail and hook up a blow-off tube into a sanitized water solution. You'll get contraction when it cools but not enough to suck water from a blow-off tube into the bucket. This method destroyed my stick-on thermometer after two or three batches (still there but doesn't work) but the pail itself has held up since my very first batch of beer. I think most of the other guys are using those sealed UN water jugs for cooling.

No-chill has its proponents here on HBT - and they're a vociferous lot. ;)

In terms of my own process and system, no-chill doesn't offer any advantages compelling enough to justify experimenting with a new procedure.

In terms of my own process and system, no-chill doesn't offer any advantages compelling enough to justify experimenting with a new procedure.

I thought the same until my plate chiller clogged for the 50th time (yes, I used hop-bags, etc.) and wanted to chunk it through the window. Like you said, this was my system, and no-chill took allot of the frustration and complexity out of my brew day. I no longer have to screw around with hoses for the chiller, etc. Worked for me, maybe not for others. The RWS was just a nice side effect.

Of course, Pol is a no-chill, fly-sparging, all electric brewer. It doesn't get any more cultish than that! ;) Everyone knows no-chill, brew-in-a-bag, all electric is the only tru way to brew... (I'm kidding Pol...)

I'm curious about this, although TBH, I really like my CFC. I've been able to keep it form plugging up even on IPAs, by whirlpooling and being careful. I'm more curious about No Chill from an academic standpoint.

My question would be, what about DMS? Obviously people wouldn't do it if there was a concern about DMS. However, science, and previous experience, tells us that cooling the wort slowly will allow DMS precursors to form, which can create the signature flavor later in the beer.

Just came across this thread.

Well, here is why I chose no chill as an option. Keep in mind, this aflls under the same sort of thing as, why do you choose HERMS? Why do you choose electric? Why do you prefer IPAs to malty beers? Brewing methods are as individual as the styles we brew, so my pro's, may be your cons...

I came across the No Chill thing in BYO, the ONLY time I have ever read BYO since my rig was in that issue. It was the middle of winter, when it was 10F at the spigot and my hoses were frozen. Not to mention a good portion of my IC exhaust water was going to run out onto my driveway and make a nice ice skating rink. SO, it was an opportune time to try this out.

I mean, I have less equipment.
I dont use chilling water
I dont have to clean that stupid coil
It created a scenario where I can make a starter with my wort (no more DME)
It leaves one less step on brew day

Are there HUGE advantages? No. Are there HUGE advantages to using a HERMS? No. Are there HUGE advantages to going all electric? No. There are some small, as I percieve it, advantages to all of these. Yes. Do I enjoy the experimentation? Yes.

I get bored easily, that is why I do most of what I do. If it makes my brew day MORE difficult, I wont try it. If it improves it, even slightly, I will give it a whirl. I am just really never satisfied with "well, this is how everyone does it... so, it must be the only way".

I'm curious about this, although TBH, I really like my CFC. I've been able to keep it form plugging up even on IPAs, by whirlpooling and being careful. I'm more curious about No Chill from an academic standpoint.

My question would be, what about DMS? Obviously people wouldn't do it if there was a concern about DMS. However, science, and previous experience, tells us that cooling the wort slowly will allow DMS precursors to form, which can create the signature flavor later in the beer.

Yah, the DMS horse has been beat... it is dead. It doesnt exist in my No Chill beers. Nor does botulism.

I for one, have been interested in learning more about how to taste beer, and have gone so far as to download study guides and whatnot, and considering taking a BJCP exam in the future. My concern is that I may not be able to taste certain flaws in my own beer.

I've read that as many as 1 in 5 people may not be able to taste DMS in modest amounts.

Wow, if I cant taste it... does it even matter if it is there?

I've read that as many as 1 in 5 people may not be able to taste DMS in modest amounts.

DMS is really only a concern in pale lagers, because there simply isn't anything to mask those offensive flavors. No yeast character, big hop character, specialty grain character, etc.

Also, even Pale malt is kilned to such a degree that DMS precursors are destroyed to a large degree. Do a 90-100 minute boil and you are reducing the quantity even further. I dont know much about masking flavors, but I do know that pale malt (not pilsner) contains a lot less DMS precursor to begin with.

Pilsner malt is the only malt that contains a large amount of these precursors... using a 2-3SRM pale ale malt will provide much much less of this precursor.

Also, even Pale malt is kilned to such a degree that DMS precursors are destroyed to a large degree. Do a 90-100 minute boil and you are reducing the quantity even further. I dont know much about masking flavors, but I do know that pale malt (not pilsner) contains a lot less DMS precursor to begin with.

Pilsner malt is the only malt that contains a large amount of these precursors... using a 2-3SRM pale ale malt will provide much much less of this precursor.

I'd take it a step further - and say that even a grain bill with 80% Pilsner (like a Belgian Golden Strong) doesn't need a 90 minute boil. A strong boil and strong hot break are really the prime factors, not necessarily the length of the boil. I've made some very Pils-heavy ales using both a 60 minute and a 90 minute boil with no perceivable differences between the two boil times in the final product.

I have some pictures of the bottle unchilled. The bottle is now chilling in the beer fridge. I will post the pics with the rest later. Here's the recipe entry for the IPA in this study. I halved the Northern Brewer to 1oz and did the 1/2oz Cascade that is 1 minute in the recipe as a dry hop in primary on day 6 when I noticed the krausen fall. I put it on BeerTools back in 2003 and have brewed it 3 or 4 times. I rarely take an OG on a beer I've done before but the FG was 1.02. It was in primary for 10 days, cold crashed for 2 days at about 38F (my usual beer fridge temp), and then bottled. It hit FG at day 6 and stayed there until the cold crash.

As for the no chill-specific info, it was brewed October 13, 2007. I didn't note the outside temperature at the time, but according to the NWS archives, the high and low were 76 and 45, respectively, in my area. Brewing wrapped up some time after 9PM that night and the yeast was pitched from a 1.5 qt starter the next day some time in the afternoon.

Wow, if I cant taste it... does it even matter if it is there?

Maybe not to you, but my concern is that I may be making beers that aren't delicious to others. Just because I might not be able to taste it, doesn't mean that others can't too.

So it seems that chill haze, DMS, and HSA are bogymen to most brewers?

Maybe not to you, but my concern is that I may be making beers that aren't delicious to others. Just because I might not be able to taste it, doesn't mean that others can't too.

Seems that way...

But it sells books.

This is important to me, because I know people who would like to brew, and being able to simplify the process and cut corners could be very helpful in getting their interest in brewing.

There have been Sooo many posts over the years that claim that a wort chiller made a huge difference in their beers' flavor. Could they have been wrong all this time? Or has their brewing experience just made it seem as though that addition to their process is the big factor?

I know that my process has changed much from batch to batch as I learned the ropes, so it would be hard for me to say that any one thing has improved my brewing dramatically.

Chill haze - not a boogeyman at all, and too many write it off as just an aesthetic issue.

DMS - while it is pretty damn difficult to have severe DMS issues in most ales, it is important to still be concerned about when developing technique. A strong uncovered boil, strong hot break and quick cooling (though anecdotally, the quick cooling is subject to debate) are all contributing factors (listed in order of importance, IMO).

HSA - that horse is dead.

IMG_7782.JPG

I agree.

Of course, Pol is a no-chill, fly-sparging, all electric brewer. It doesn't get any more cultish than that! ;) Everyone knows no-chill, brew-in-a-bag, all electric is the only tru way to brew... (I'm kidding Pol...)

No you're not. :D

Interestingly, I did not find any information about this on The Brewing Network. Seeing as they are on the cutting edge of homebrewing technology, I posted a query regarding anyone's experience with this. So far, not one post has come up. I seriously expected at least some comment, if not some flaming.

I mean, Jamil advocates a "whirlpool chiller" which is supposedly one of the best methods of chilling your whole wort as quickly as possible. I'm guessing that at least HE thinks chilling is important.

Interestingly, I did not find any information about this on The Brewing Network. Seeing as they are on the cutting edge of homebrewing technology, I posted a query regarding anyone's experience with this. So far, not one post has come up. I seriously expected at least some comment, if not some flaming.

I mean, Jamil advocates a "whirlpool chiller" which is supposedly one of the best methods of chilling your whole wort as quickly as possible. I'm guessing that at least HE thinks chilling is important.

There was a show on the Brewing Network a while back about DMS issues. In this episode they spoke VERY briefly about no chill, and wrote it off completely. Because, of course... you NEED to BUY the whirlpool chiller. I mean, in that episode alone they plugged his whirlpool chiller about 30 times. It was... pretty obvious.

A lot of you forget that those doing no chill... used to use IC's! To that effect... I see no difference in the beer I have created thus far.

How then would B3/NB/etc sell lots of shiny wort chillers if they said no-chill was good?

Yes, I'm that cynical...

Me too...

Listen to the DMS episode on the Brewing Network and listen to how many plugs they have for Jamils whirlpool chiller. In that same episode they write off no chill brewing as well. That was the first and last episode I listened to... because it is just like the HB books I have, exclaiming that all of the answers and techniques have already been discovered. Wow, egos.

I'm down. fully. If it doesn't work for me, I go back to my old IC.

For those that dump their hot wort into a Ale Pail, do you ferment in that same pail or do you dump/siphon into another container and pitch?

How do you airiate it before pitching?

Buckets aren't known for super tight fitting lids. Is there no worry that while the wort cools and the bucket contracts(or whatever it's doing) that bad things will slip in through the poor seal on the lid?

I'm down. fully. If it doesn't work for me, I go back to my old IC.

For those that dump their hot wort into a Ale Pail, do you ferment in that same pail or do you dump/siphon into another container and pitch?

How do you airiate it before pitching?

Buckets aren't known for super tight fitting lids. Is there no worry that while the wort cools and the bucket contracts(or whatever it's doing) that bad things will slip in through the poor seal on the lid?

I have heard some say that they have had thier pails buckle from the vaccuum... so?

The Winpaks are like $15... much cheaper than a BB or a GC.

come on Pol, there has to be at least ONE downside to no chill!

You've busted DMS, chill haze, cold break, cost, water use in chilling, etc, etc.

can you throw us a bone?

come on Pol, there has to be at least ONE downside to no chill! ...can you throw us a bone?

Keep the good fight going Brother Pol. :rockin:

Do you need the bloke to come out and ram the bloody thing down your throats ? The only downside is occasionally you get a dirty / wet floor as you overfill the cube !

The beer won't taste no different. All the crap you are worrying about just isn't there ! You blokes scared of the boogeyman too ?

No chill isn't revolutionary, ground breaking or the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's just a good step between hot wort and pitching yeast on a cool wort. Use it if you aint got a chiller, use it if you aint got enough water to chill with. Use it when the chiller clogs.

I no chill as I'm happy to segregate wort making from beer making. I no chill, wait till things cool down, then clean up the mess. My fermenting bench is the same as my brewing bench. The wort stays in the cube for between a day and a few months, waiting for when I'm ready to brew.

Other times we'll do a 200 litre batch with mates and everyone takes home a 20l cube of wort. Had fun making the wort, take home and ferment at home.

No chill. Use it if you want. Don't use it if you don't want. It is as simple as that. Just don't go looking for something that aint there. Grow up and stop looking for pots of gold at the end of the rainbow

Good brewing:mug:

Well said, Fatgodzilla. It was Thirsty Boy from your Aussie forum who convinced me to try slowchill a year ago and I've thanked him since. Hops additions take some adjustment, but the method works fine. Hal, though, who posted the original on this thread, has been pretty much ignored. I for one salute him for his record keeping and attention to detail, and look forward to his evaluation of an old bottle of no-chill.

There is a downside, you get to pitch the yeast whenever you want. It sucks.

I mean, I personally see a few benefits that some dont.

#1. You are not cooling an open kettle of wort to pitching temps, where there is a small chance of infection

#2. The hot wort will heat sanitize your container, and in my case, fermentor

#3. The wort then cools in a sealed and sanitary environment

FatGodzilla... we are a nation of consumption here in the US. How would they get us to consume all of these fancy gadgets if they werent great at marketing the need for them? Or, if we werent so gullible? :) You cant sell chillers if you start telling people how to brew without them... come on, there is no money in that. I dont have a horse in that race, I am selling nothing.

Unlike those trying to sell equipment, I dont make a claim about a process or method unless I have tried it. And then, I only speak to those points that I have personally tested and have data regarding. There are plenty of questions here that I cant answer about no chill, and I am unwilling to speculate. I am not selling anything, and I am not going to make claims that are untested in my brewery.

How then would B3/NB/etc sell lots of shiny wort chillers if they said no-chill was good?

Yes, I'm that cynical...

I see. Normally, I'm that cynical, but it must have passed over me at that point.

I am very excited to see some studies on this, and it might give me a reason to do some experimenting myself. I suddenly find myself going from standing by my old CFC, to seriously thinking about using No Chill as a regular option.

I think we need to see some of these beers going off to comps and see how they do. See how they fare against the accepted practices when judged by the experts. Having that kind of clout is sure to make it an accepted practice.

As I've admitted already, I'm no great taster, but if someone wants to send me a couple of no chill beers to try, I'd be happy to evaluate them. :mug:

Back