LP burners for keggles - which do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
has anyone used more than one type on keggles? Get any feel for the efficiency of different types, or their speed?

I've got the basic turkey-fryer burners and they take a looooong time to boil, and I think I'm pissing through propane at a ridiculous rate. I'm working to electrify, so the burners will be more or less just a way to assist with speed of temp raises as necessary, or getting to the boil faster, but burners are so cheap, I might switch to a more efficient type of someone has reason to think that one or the other is better.

not a great picture, but you can see the type of burner here:
1211081900b.jpg

What is your propane usage like? I have the same burners and I too agree that they take a long time to boil. I know alot of people praise the Banjo burners from Bayou. What PSI is your regulator going into the burners? I use a 20 PSI and have thought that a 30 PSI might work a little bit better.

I have a burner that looks like that, I use it on my HLT. I can get 10 gallons of 50 degree water up to 170 in about an hour with the burner going nearly full blast.

I also have a Bayou Classic SQ14 burner that I use on my boil kettle.

When I was doing research on these, I found that the burner you have, has a higher BTU rating and it uses a higher pressure regulator than the SQ14. If you want something larger than you have, you probably want to look at the KAB4 'banjo' burner style.

Brent

I have a high pressure regulator. I think I'm getting maybe just over two batches worth out of a tank of propane. That includes warming up HLT, warming strike-water directly, keeping hlt at temp appropriate for herms, then sparging from it, then boiling in BK. Sometimes I heat up left over HLT water, dump in PBW and use pumps and brushes to clean everything one vessel at a time. Usually I just have a pot of hot water on the stovetop I have in the garage for that, though.

ANyone got links or pictures so I can get straight in my head which of these is which?

Back