BJCP Brew-All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my friend and I were talking last night at the Rogue ale house and agreed we should start a new project. We're going to brew every beer in the BJCP guidelines, enter them in competitions whenever possible, document everything, get pictures, and keep everything completely to style...including recipe formulation, yeast selection and fermentation conditions.

He currently has lagering conditions, so we'll start with this first batch of lagers:

1A. Lite American Lager
1B. Standard American Lager
1C. Premium American Lager
1D. Munich Helles
1E. Dortmunder Export

i already know he can make an amazing lite american lager!

I ferment around 55°F+ in my fermentation cabinet, so i'm going to start with the hybrid beers:

6A. Cream Ale
6B. Blonde Ale
6C. Kölsch
6D. American Wheat or Rye Beer

I already have a fine cream ale recipe. it's not perfectly to style, however (a little too malty) so i'll need to modify a bit.

i'm going to try to make a lot of these bottle conditioned, so hopefully i'll have some great beers for future swaps and other nonsense.

I need to finish clearing up and consolidating all the brewing crap at my friends house and then i can start brewing in a fresh new workspace. i think i'll wrap that all up tonight.

it's on this weekend. seeing as i brew a few times a week, and most of them will be dedicated to this project, it shouldn't take me too long. there are about 80 beers in the bjcp guidelines...let's average 2 per week, it's going to take about 40 weeks or about 10 months.
:mug:

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

WHOA :eek:

Good on ya, man! I look forward to seeing the fruits of this project! It is definitely a LARGE aspiration, but as you calculated, it seems perfectly reasonable!!!

Plus, it gives you an excuse to do some wacky brews... A Rauch, Other Smoked, and a Wood Aged.... and then there's the Belg/French category.... Mmmmmmmm.

A year from now, I'll wish I had your cellar.

cellar...yeah, i think i need another cabinet just to store the BEER! we'll figure something out...i'm sure i'll bury some of it. certain beer that doesnt age well can just go in the fridge for competition storage (only 3-6 bottles, anyway)

my friends grandfather might have some cool storage space, too. plans, plans, plans :)

any "screwed up" batches will be attempted over...we're attempting to make a good beer for EVERY style (even the styles i don't like ;))

i'll definitely keep this thread posted with any and all related material to the brew-all.

This sounds like a plan that was hatched after a few pints. Props to you for sticking with the idea the next day.

This is something that I have had a desire to do as well. But, I am not going in any order. I guess I am about 1/3 of the way there. I am going to tackle the American lagers this winter/early spring.

Jamil Jr., everyone. ;)

Sounds like a great idea to me. You'll really get a grasp on what each style brings to the table and by entering comps, you'll get good, honest feedback.

I am also going through the guidlines and brewing every style. I am currently 25% of the way through the styles and I am picking up my fermentation freezer tonight and if I get a temp controller for christmas I will be knocking out lagers next month.

ooh, dingleberry. my new least-favorite nickname :D i didn't see that thread...but i shall now vote in it.

but this is much more elaborate than simply brewing every style. we are also fervently documenting everything and we are going to enter everything in competition. we're just trying to be the biggest badasses on the planet while perfecting our methods, exploring the styles and building up our beer stock

:rockin: :rockin:

Back