Short Cycle Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I usually start my starter the morning of brew day. I used to start them 24-36 hours prior, but after reading and listening to the highly respected Jamil talk about yeast, its importance, and how he makes starters, I have just started making them the morning of of brew day.

It really has made a huge difference in fermentation. I have had some beers start fermenting in less than 2 hours with rigorous fermentation in less than 6.

I forgot to get DME or I ran out or whatever bone-head move i made left me with out DME for a starter. [That wont happen again]

So, I can of course just pitch the White Labs vial or I was thinking as I am lautering/sparging I can draw off 1000-1500mL of wort, cool it quick, pitch my yeast in there and give it 1-2 hours head start and then pitch that into my fermentor once the wort is cooled. That should give the yeast about 90 minutes or so to start?

What would you do?

You don't want to drain off some sparge runnings to make a starter- you have to boil the wort first. Remember that grain is contaminated with lactic acid bacteria, and you shouldn't even crush where you ferment. The runnings MUST be boiled before you can use it for a starter or anything else. Otherwise, you can plan on contamination.

Good Point...Thanks. Forgot about that.

By the time I did that, It wouldn't have much advantage if any. Guess I'll just pitch the vials.

Thanks, Yoop

Back