What happened???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry apple cider nearly 3 weeks ago.sadly I don't yet have a hydrometer. Essentially the recipe was 4 cups strawberry juice/purée, 1.5 cups brown sugar, pectin enzyme, fresh pressed cider to make a gallon and a packet ec1118.
It fermented completely dry in less than a week, left it for two days with no airlock activity. I intended to carbonate, so I sweetened to taste, bottled and waited. It's now been 10 days and I still don't have a significant amount of pressure in my coke bottle.
No preservatives.
I don't think it could have reached its max alcohol tolerance in such a short time?

Why is it not carbing up?

I guess it's possible, but I triple checked the seal before I used it? I don't see any signs of carbonation even, no little bubbles, nothing?

Without hydrometer readings its hard to tell but the one fizzy drink I've made took a good 3weeks to carb up

Gave up on carbonating and put it back in the carboy. Hydrometer reading 1.030can't possibly be done.

I added some energizer and nutrient, we'll see how it goes.

For those interested, it was definitely a stalled fermentation. No idea why. Added some energizer and nutrient, repitched a bit of ec1118 and its all good now, bubble in the airlock every 3-5 seconds.

Latest posts

Back