Proper use of Candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfocus

Reaction score
So,

After Flannagan's thread on making candi sugar (which I will be making soon :rockin:) I started wondering what the proper use of it is.

What I'm wondering is, if I'm doing extract brewing with steeped grains, when would I add the Candi sugar? While it's boiling (at what time?)? when it's cooling? when I'm topping off to the final volume of water?

Thanks a bunch.

Candi sugar is primarily used in belgian style ales to keep the body of the beer thin and up the ABV. tripels, dubbels, trappist/abbey, belgian strong ales, belgian golden ales, belgian specialty ales, etc. Add it with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Candi sugar is primarily used in belgian style ales to keep the body of the beer thin and up the ABV. tripels, dubbels, trappist/abbey, belgian strong ales, belgian golden ales, belgian specialty ales, etc. Add it with 10 minutes left in the boil.

Great.

So I add it with 10 minutes on the boil even if it is the light kind? Would that not darken it up while it is in there boiling away?

I was wondering as I saw your contribution on the wiki and want to make a Belgian Dark Strong Ale for Christmas.

mrfocus said:
Great.

So I add it with 10 minutes on the boil even if it is the light kind? Would that not darken it up while it is in there boiling away?

I was wondering as I saw your contribution on the wiki and want to make a Belgian Dark Strong Ale for Christmas.

Nah, it won't darken it up when there's so much water in there. Wouldn't matter too much with a dark strong ale. When making the sugar, there is barely any water in the mix.

Latest posts

Back