Gravity Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I'm third time brewer unfortunately I've just bought a hydrometer.

I could only measured my beer just before bottling (after priming sugar), (I got hydrometer last night)

Have 5 gallon batch and used 7 oz priming sugar (It was HF corn syrup what contents 24% water)

The hydrometer showed 1042 and it seems to me quite high. Is there anything wrong?

First make sure it is accurate by placing it in some distilled water where it should read 000. Also how long has it been fermenting?

If you took a hydrometer reading AFTER adding the priming sugar you will not get the actual FG of your beer since you added 7oz of a non-fermented sugar. The reading SHOULD have been taken BEFORE adding the priming sugar. As a result your reading will be higher than it should be.

That being said, if my information is correct and I'm calculating the correct syrup, corn syrup's gravity is 1.036 in a 5G batch so deducting that from your reading or 1.042 you would get a FG of 1.006 approximately.

I am not 100% sure, assuming this was an extract recipe, your recipe sheet should give you what the anticipated FG should be and most extract kits finish where they are supposed to be.

I don't wish to learn my final gravity just want to know there is any problem about the hydrometer shows 1.042 gravity after adding prime sugar. (that's my longest sentence and I'm sure it's incorrect :))

I don't wish to learn my final gravity just want to know there is any problem about the hydrometer shows 1.042 gravity after adding prime sugar. (that's my longest sentence and I'm sure it's incorrect :))

I believe the post was stating that you did not get an accurate reading. If it was really 1.042 your beer is not done.

I don't wish to learn my final gravity just want to know there is any problem about the hydrometer shows 1.042 gravity after adding prime sugar. (that's my longest sentence and I'm sure it's incorrect )

I believe the post was stating that you did not get an accurate reading. If it was really 1.042 your beer is not done.

The OP stated that the reading was taken AFTER the priming sugar was added so it is not possible to know if the beer was done and yes, 1.042 is an incorrect reading as a result of not reading the FG PRIOR to adding the sugar. It is quite possible 1.042 was the correct reading due to the addition of un-fermented sugar prior to reading.

Interesting. I had not thought about the priming sugar. I have always had good fermentations and have checked for FG on some but not all. I have then taken samples AFTER adding the sugar. It has always been only a few points off predicted? Maybe 1.014 instead of 1.012?

I guess my ABV and efficiency calculations have been off. Not that I really care too much.

Back