Who got inspired to brew a triple from byo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
Got my copy of BYO and a wonderful looking triple is on the cover, got me inspired. Going to try one this weekend.

13 # superior pils
13 # Best Heidelburg
2 # vienna
2# wheat
4 # invert sugar(dumped into primary after high Krausen)

2 oz calypso 60 min
1 oz citra 15
1 oz citra 5

Going to try 5 with Antwerp wlp515 and 5 with abbey ale wlp530

I did! I think I'll brew the one that's in the magazine and see what happens. If it turns out well I may do another with 10% Munich.

Interesting hop choices.

Yea I know. I probably should not use the citra late additions, but heck, I like to experiment. The only noble hops I have on hand are Hallertau. I could use 4 ozs of them, but I figured if I am using citra, might as well try the calyspo. So I guess I am not really brewing a true triple, but I was inspired.

I had just bottled my triple before I got the magazine. It was damn tasty, too, from BCS

Not so much inspired as given an extra push. I've wanted to brew a tripel for a while. But, it may be beyond the skills of my limited all-grain experience.

Yep, that one's going into the "to be brewed" queue. I'll probably just go with the recipe in the magazine.

I've also wanted to brew a triple for awhile. Tripels are pretty much the only Belgians I really, really like. La Fin du Monde is one of my favorite beers. I'll probably do one after my brown ale that I have up next.

Yea I know. I probably should not use the citra late additions, but heck, I like to experiment. The only noble hops I have on hand are Hallertau. I could use 4 ozs of them, but I figured if I am using citra, might as well try the calyspo. So I guess I am not really brewing a true triple, but I was inspired.

Love it. Use the Citra! Check out some Tripel IPA recipes. May want to dry hop too.

While we're talking about BYO tripels...

Was it just me, or did the "Cooking with Tripels" article not actually discuss cooking with tripels? There was that lobster recipe, but the article itself was about brewing tripels, not cooking with them. That kind of stuff drives me nuts.

You read my mind. I'll probably brew the recipe from the magazine next month. I've got an English IPA and a Cream Ale to do first.

You can skip the inverted sugar. Most of the Trappist have stopped using Belgian candi and inverted sugar. Just stick to table sugar -- all you are looking for is gravity points without added flavor.

And yea, your hop choice is not traditional, but it'll be beer!

Back