Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on trying a Partial Mash version of Wayne's recipe soon. Special thanks to jwalker1140 for helping me out on the ratios.

Is the general consensus on the Oats to boil them for 15 minutes as opposed adding them to the initial mash for better results?

Is the general consensus on the Oats to boil them for 15 minutes as opposed adding them to the initial mash for better results?
Not by me.

I suggest you brew two batches. One where you boil the oats and one where you mash them. Then tell us what YOU prefer.

Nilo's suggestion are for his system and his tastes. Mine are for mine. You won't know what your's will be until you try them both.

Not by me.

I suggest you brew two batches. One where you boil the oats and one where you mash them. Then tell us what YOU prefer.

Nilo's suggestion are for his system and his tastes. Mine are for mine. You won't know what your's will be until you try them both.

I agree. There is no "general consensus" about the oats. The thickness and taste of the final beer will vary depending on how you use it in the process.
I personally preferred the boil option ( I did both ways) because it produced a thicker beer that had a mouth feel closer to the commercial BM (to my taste).

I brewed Nilos #4 almost 2 months ago. Here is what I am noticing on my system:

1) Awesome head retention and lacing of the glass. By far the best of any of my 20+ batches

2) It is darker than blue moon with more overall flavor.

3) Body is right on

4) Mine has more orange flavor up front. Coriander is about the same from what I can tell.

5) Very easy to drink. It is going to be great during the Hot Phoenix summer.... if it lasts that long.

6) Overall I have to say that I prefer mine to the original. I like the extra orange flavor. I have seen a few people say this one is darker so if you really want to hit the color maybe back off the caramel malt a bit and if you want the orange flavor to be closer back off orange peel. Like I said though, I prefer this one to the original. I will try Wayne1's next time but I can promise that one of these will be my first beer ever to get a second and third batches!

I brewed #4 and also really enjoyed the flavor over the original but would like to get closer in color. It may be burried in the pages and pages but Wayne1 what SRM should I shoot for to get closer in color? 4 or so?

I'm trying to figure out a Blue Moon Clone recipe.

Things I know about Blue Moon:
  • Uses 2 Row Malt
  • Uses White Wheat
  • Uses Oats
  • Doesn't use a Belgian yeast, uses a "standard ale yeast"
  • Orange zest and coriander go in the last 3-5 minutes

Things I assume to be true about Blue Moon:
  • Ale Yeast is Cal Ale (Chico) strain
  • More orange than coriander

Things I'm trying to figure out:
  • Ratio of grains
  • Hop type and schedule
  • Yeast strain
  • Amounts of Coriander and Orange

Anyone have any nfo or ideas about this?

im currenty in the process of making a Blue Moon Clone and its day 5 of fermentation ive tasted the beer and so far it tastes like BLUE MOON!

only things i tweaked were i used citra as finishing hops and used fresh orange peel and added some honey just to make it my own twist

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=11028

theres the recipe i hope it helps u with ur guide line

I brewed #4 and also really enjoyed the flavor over the original but would like to get closer in color. It may be burried in the pages and pages but Wayne1 what SRM should I shoot for to get closer in color? 4 or so?

The last two batches I made calculated at 3.4 and 3.6L A lot will depend on what type of 2- row malt and who malts it.

zerotwofour,

If you continued reading the thread you would see that I give the exact recipe that was used to brew the original batch of Blue Moon. There are many variations through this thread as people try to adapt it to their equipment and tastes. One thing that is very certain is there should be NO finishing hops. Blue Moon is brewed with only one hop addition.

Now if you like the flavor that finishing hops give, that is great but it is NOT Blue Moon and should not be referred to as a clone. It can be a tribute or based on, but a clone is as close as possible to the original. This thread is mainly about how to get as close as possible to Blue Moon.

I couldn't find a photo of #4 side by side with the real BM, but below is #3 side by side, which should be actually a little darker than #4. Clone in on the right.
So yes, I also believe you need to fine tune the grain bill , specially the crystal amount, to account for the variations of SRM.

BL_59_right3.jpg

I couldn't find a photo of #4 side by side with the real BM, but below is #3 side by side, which should be actually a little darker than #4. Clone in on the right.
So yes, I also believe you need to fine tune the grain bill , specially the crystal amount, to account for the variations of SRM.

So my local brew shop only had bitter orange peel. Any thoughts on what to do for the sweet? He suggested fresh orange but didn't know what type or how much to use anybody have thoughts?

I know to use the zest only and not the pith. Using fresh, should I use more than two oz's, less, or equal amouts?

Cheers,
Ben

Use fresh navel zest, even the dried "sweet" you get from lhbs often are whole peel so can be quite bitter.
Maybe the zest from 3-4 oranges depending on size.

I tried both 2 and 3 fresh orange peels in my first two recipes and found that 3 oranges was better, for my taste. I added the peels to the primary, not the boil, as I didn't want to evaporate all the aromas. I later started using just dried peels from my LHBS (to the last 10min of boil) and figured it was easier and still provides good flavor, not same aroma as the fresh though.
Try both and see what you like best.

I brewed a version today similar to some of the recipes posted in this thread.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.5 %
4 lbs Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 2 36.4 %
4 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 36.4 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.1 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 5 9.1 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6 4.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 15.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 9 -
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 11 -

I also added a .5oz of a freshly zested orange at flameout.

The LHBS didn't have any crystal 10 so I used a pound of crystal 15 not sure who malted it. I believe it was crisp 15.

I mashed the oats instead of boiling.

The o.g. came to 1.053

I did Nilo #4 2 weeks ago. Followed recipe exact except for the oats; I mashed them.
Does mashing the oats contribute to a higher gravity beer (unfermentables)?
My OG was 1.06 and FG was 1.02. I am just trying to figure out why mine is a bit different.
The hydrometer sample is very tasty by the way.
My first time using 04; it fermented quickly (about 4 days) but won't budge any more. I am at 2 weeks now and ready to transfer. I just expected it to dry out a bit more.

I brewed the original version, mashed the oats, and my final gravity came out at 1.011. So the oats shouldn't have caused the high FG.

By the way, mine is really good. I don't know if i'd change anything in the original recipe other than playing with the spices to find something that works for your system and gives you the flavors you want.

I really am a fan of the original proportions. I think i'm going to use it to try a strawberry wheat that a couple friends have been asking for.

I did another batch today; original recipe.
The last one is not fully carbed yet but is very tasty (Nilo 4).
I just put the new one on top the yeast cake from the last batch.
I tried a few new techniques this time; in doing so I overshot my water by about a gallon.
So my OG will be 1.04. I boiled the oats as well just to see if it will make a difference.
The original calls for much less spices. Should still be tasty, I will report back in a few weeks.

Sizz said:
Blue moon is pretty good. I've done about 8 batches so far, slowing trying to adapt the recipe into more of a hoegaarden. If anyone figures out hoegaarden, you can have my first born.

There is a hoegaarden recipe in a book called Home brewers gold written by charlie papazian that I brewed and it turned out pretty darn close. I had to go buy some hoegaarden seeing as I had never tried it to compare . I originally brewed it cuz the wife wanted blue moon man was I way off. I would think that maybe if I used the same recipe and used an ale yeast instead it might get it closer. I can dig the book out and post the recipe if someone is interested.

If this is already in this thread I am sorry for asking again but I am new to brewing and I am only doing extract and my wife is begging for blue moon. Is there a method for changing these recipes into extract. I'm not looking for a miracle or something that is spot on just a tasty close clone to blue moon in an extract recipe thanks.

Millard, yes this recipe is converted to extract in this thread. Check the first few pages.

Nilo converted one of his versions to extract here

Spices are not listed. Check the later threads for suggestions on what and how much spice to use.

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to Wayne for a this! I brewed this for the second time today. Only difference is I used fresh orange zest instead of dried sweet peels- zested two oranges for the boil (las 5mins) and a third in the primary. Smells great, but I suspect the orange-ness will fade over time.

Wayne1 said:
Blue Moon Belgian White was first sold commercially as Belly Slide Belgian White at the SandLot Brewery at Coors Field during the 1995 opening season.

We did do a little fine tuning of the recipe, which was developed by Dr. Keith Villa of Coors R&D. Mostly to do with the ratio of Orange Peel to Corriander.

The amounts of grains we used are roughly:
50% 2 row pale malt. (The first couple of batches were made with Great Western)
40% white wheat malt
10% flaked oats.

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops were added for a 90 minute boil. Bittering should be around 17.5 IBU. Only one addition.

Blue Moon has always used pre-ground corriander and Valencia orange peel. Keith did not want the bitterness of Curacao oranges. He preferred the sweetness of the ground Valencia.

Try 1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.

Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil.

The Chico strain would work well in this recipe. You want a neutral taste from the yeast. Keith has said that the flavors that should come through are the orange peel and corriander, not the yeast.

Be careful when lautering. I have made this recipe and some variations of it in three different pubs, with three different systems. I usually have trouble and end up sticking the mash. Run off very slowly.

Ok first off I'm pretty new to brewing. My first batch of beer I made had a kit with instructions, so I followed them, and boom! I made beer! Now I get on here and see these grain ratios and times so I start reading articles and researching. I want to make this recipe next, but my question is: Do I need to build a mash ton and get a grain grinder thing or is it the same thing to put those grains in a steeping bag and do it that way? Is it a preference or I will need those other things to make recipes like this?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

BearStein said:
Ok first off I'm pretty new to brewing. My first batch of beer I made had a kit with instructions, so I followed them, and boom! I made beer! Now I get on here and see these grain ratios and times so I start reading articles and researching. I want to make this recipe next, but my question is: Do I need to build a mash ton and get a grain grinder thing or is it the same thing to put those grains in a steeping bag and do it that way? Is it a preference or I will need those other things to make recipes like this?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Do the extract version of this brew, will save you the headache of taking on all grain right away. By all means though, keep at it and eventually go all grain when you get some more money for equipment and know you got the permanent homebrew bug!

sivdrinks said:
Do the extract version of this brew, will save you the headache of taking on all grain right away. By all means though, keep at it and eventually go all grain when you get some more money for equipment and know you got the permanent homebrew bug!

Has someone posted that already? Sorry I havnt read through all of them yet. Thanks for the help! I'm sure I'll get to the point of being all grain, but extracts will do for now.

Wayne1 said:
You are welcome. Thanks for giving the recipe a couple of tries.

BearStein:

Nilo did convert one of his recipes to extract:

Nilo's extract version

There are no spices listed. Read the entire thread for some variations on what spices to use and when.

Ok cool so just add in the coriander and orange zest like in some recipes?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to brew this!

When u use zest, can you throw it right into the fermentor? Do you worry about infection at all??

Wild Duk said:
When u use zest, can you throw it right into the fermentor? Do you worry about infection at all??

He probably means throwing it in the last 5 mins of the boil, or at flameout.

TimTrone said:
He probably means throwing it in the last 5 mins of the boil, or at flameout.

Yeah I'm planning on throwing in the coriander at 10 min left and the zest at 5. Sound good?

when using fresh peels, I add it to the primary to avoid evaporating the aromas. I give the orange a good wash in soap, skin and add the peels in a bath of vodka before throwing in the fermenter.

I just Peel. make sure you avoid the white layer under. it is known to give a bitter taste.

Hmmm. I thought that that the white stuff always came off with the peel. And therefore zest. But I could have been wrong.

How many oranges have you added.

I'm brewing in the morn...

Hmmm. I thought that that the white stuff always came off with the peel. And therefore zest. But I could have been wrong.

How many oranges have you added.

I'm brewing in the morn...

The white part is called the pith (like the helmet). It's incredibly bitter. You only want the thin orange layer layer. Trust me... :drunk:

So what has become the general consensus on the coriander and orange peel? I brewed nilo's #4, but the orange flavor seems way to strong.

Boiled at 10 min:
0.375oz - Coriander
2.0oz - Sweet orange peel
1.0oz - Bitter orange peel

I'm thinking about taking it down a bit, possibly eliminating the bitter orange peel all together. This also seems to be against the original 3:1 coriander to orange peel suggestion in the beginning of the thread. Any suggestions?

I used as close to Wayne's recipe as possible, making exceptions for water chemistry and spicing. Also, I BIAB and No-Chill, so some adjustments for that. Still turned out almost spot-on. Here's what I did for 6 gallons.
Code:
5.25 lb US 2-row
4.5 lb malted White Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 oz Acid Malt
2 tsp Calcium Choloride

1.325 oz Hallertau (3.9% AA) 70 min (same as a 90 minute addition in a traditionally chilled beer)
1 oz McCormick's Valencia Orange Peel, added to no-chill cube
.325 oz fresh ground Coriander, also added to no-chill cube

US-05 yeast
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 16.4
SRM: 5.8

The original recipe is (3)coriander : (1)orange
Nilo4 is (1)coriander : (6)orange

I have them both on tap right now; waiting for the original to carb up before passing judgement. I expect them to be very different beers.

The original recipe is (3)coriander : (1)orange
Nilo4 is (1)coriander : (6)orange

I have them both on tap right now; waiting for the original to carb up before passing judgement. I expect them to be very different beers.

I'm sure it will be different beers. Make sure you have a commercial BM to compare these to.

The original spice ratio was based on weight of ground, dry spices in a 465 gallon batch. Using fresh zested peel and fresh ground coriander seeds in 5 gallons will yield different results.

Use the ratio as a guideline to find out what works best for the spices you use in your system. Expect it to be different for everyone.

Back