15 Gallon Fermenter Table Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotteddog do you have the dimensions on the 15g tanks? Diameter by height? And also how about Height including the fittings to the bottom of the ball valve. And overall height with all fittings and your yeast catcher?

I am modeling my ferm chamber and these numbers would help me out since mine are still in route.

EDIT: Also, how wide is the neck opening? Considering going glycol control vs ferm chamber too.

:mug:

Spotteddog do you have the dimensions on the 15g tanks? Diameter by height? And also how about Height including the fittings to the bottom of the ball valve. And overall height with all fittings and your yeast catcher?

I am modeling my ferm chamber and these numbers would help me out since mine are still in route.

EDIT: Also, how wide is the neck opening? Considering going glycol control vs ferm chamber too.

:mug:

The height of fermenter is 27.25"
The height of the nipple, ball valve and yeast catcher is 16.5".
If you go to
http://www.tank-depot.com/Drawings/ace/inductor/A-INFD15-19.pdf
it will show you all the dims of the conical fermenter.
Neck opening on top is 10.25" and the opening on bottom is 1.5".
Let me know if this info helps.
:rockin:
Total height of vessel plus valves and catcher = 43.75"
Diameter of fermenter = 19" diameter

vfinch said:
Wow I missed this thread until now... nice setup! Weird thing is that I'm also a twin, with Dalmatians and I brew beer. The brewing world is a strange one... ;)

Very Nice! Don't tell me your brothers name is Eric and yours is Erin. That would be too weird:)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

so can someone (op or otherwise) explain how the collector thing works? i'm kind of confused as to its purpose/function.

Collects all the junk you dont want in your beer!

sorry to beat this dead horse, but i'm very interested in this and want to understand completely so i can implement on my own conical.

so you screw the collection device onto the bottom of the conical to collect all the trub and such so that you're left with only clean yeast in the bottom of the cone.

is that correct?

what is the advantage of doing it this way vs. just running the trub off through the bottom until you hit clean yeast and then collecting in a bucket at that point?

thanks for the info!!

Very Nice! Don't tell me your brothers name is Eric and yours is Erin.

No, thankfully my parents gave us dissimilar names. It looks like he might be buying my old all grain setup once I've made my new one, so he may sign up here sooner or later.
Your conical is damn sweet, I've found a distributor here in Canada for the same brand.

vfinch said:
No, thankfully my parents gave us dissimilar names. It looks like he might be buying my old all grain setup once I've made my new one, so he may sign up here sooner or later.
Your conical is damn sweet, I've found a distributor here in Canada for the same brand.

Enjoy The Conical Build'n. I wish my twin would brew, the only contribution is drink'n the brew:)

vfinch said:

Who is this candian distributers? I wanted to order a 15 gallon but was almost resorting to a V Vessel because of shipping for the tanks

Working on getting my first 15 gallon plastic connical into action and just got my Stockham 1-1/2" 3 piece ball vavles just like the one Spotted Dog Brewing is using. The problem I'm having is the valves are incredibly tought to open and close, any suggestions?

sgoncalves said:
Working on getting my first 15 gallon plastic connical into action and just got my Stockham 1-1/2" 3 piece ball vavles just like the one Spotted Dog Brewing is using. The problem I'm having is the valves are incredibly tought to open and close, any suggestions?

Once it's all connected to fermenter it gets easier to open/close, a little more leverage! Try adding some keg lube:)

Yeast catcher in action on last brew.....wasn't really expecting it to be full but hey next time I'll be ready to harvest

Up next 10 gallon (first) AG fat tire clone

image-948760726.jpg

image-1388398724.jpg

Just as a follow-up on the copper coil glycol chiller idea-- you would need to use a SS coil actually, as the literature states that copper being utilized post boil should not be done.

Great project! What kind of sealant did you use to assemble your yeast catcher?

You can get a SS coil chiller from NY Brew Supply for essentially the same price as a copper coil

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-stainless-steel-immersion.php

These are what I use in the plastic conicals shown here. (as well as some 110 gallon conicals at the brewery) they work great!

lonepalm said:
Quick question

When your 'dumping' do you usually have a set schedule when your trying to clear?

Usually I let the beer ferment for 5-7 days, DUMP and let it sit for another 5-7 days, then keg! If it still looks dirty I'll dump after the second 5-7 days and let sit for a couple days or when I get time to keg!!
Really No set schedule:-/ I've had beer sit in fermenter after the first dump for 2-3 weeks after!!

FireBrew63 said:
Looking good! Do you do back to back brews to fill it up?

I wish I could keep up:) but I do try to go back to back. I have the 15 gallon fermenter for smaller batch's that sits right next to the 30 gallon, and it's empty right now:-/

30 gallon fermenter w/ 2qt catcher in action:)
The lid had a hole already in it so I stuffed an airlock into it:)

Any reason why you do not make the hole wider and use the built in mounting recess in the conical? Would the stand have to be too high with the fittings that are attached?

noremorse1 said:
Any reason why you do not make the hole wider and use the built in mounting recess in the conical? Would the stand have to be too high with the fittings that are attached?

I'm lazy:) use to be a 15 gallon in its place. Upgraded one of the 15 gallons to a 30 gallon! Plus gives me an option to put 15 gallon in either hole, I store fermenting table under the basement steps:).

lonepalm-

how did you attach the the racking valve? Is that a weldless fitting for a kettle?

Dtrain

I'll take a pic of it tonight. But what i did was used a CPVC Elbow and used that with a nipple and attached the valve. Pointed the elbow down.

All parts sourced from The Home Depot using brass fittings. I will convert over to SS once the AG equipment is all built.

i still don't get the yeast catcher... sorry, i'm slow.

wouldn't the trub settle in the catcher first and then the yeast on top of that? or is that the point? i.e. the catcher separates the trub first and then you just free-dump the yeast into a bucket or something?

Apoxbrew said:
i still don't get the yeast catcher... sorry, i'm slow.

wouldn't the trub settle in the catcher first and then the yeast on top of that? or is that the point? i.e. the catcher separates the trub first and then you just free-dump the yeast into a bucket or something?

My main objective is to have the junk settle in the catcher and not at the bottom of my conical. Makes it cleaner for keg day!

I've converted to plastic valves:) no problems!

Where did you find the proper PVC parts? I have a 15 gallon full drain tank coming, and I'd like to know whether I'm going to be able to collect the right stuff at HD / Lowes / Ace or if I need to start looking online.

Is it a 1 1/2" threaded to 2" PVC coupling, a 2" ball valve and then whatever I want to put on the downstream side of that? Or is it 1 1/2" thread to 1 1/2" PVC?

Oh, and what made you decide to make the change from SS to PVC?

bblack7489 said:
Where did you find the proper PVC parts? I have a 15 gallon full drain tank coming, and I'd like to know whether I'm going to be able to collect the right stuff at HD / Lowes / Ace or if I need to start looking online.

Is it a 1 1/2" threaded to 2" PVC coupling, a 2" ball valve and then whatever I want to put on the downstream side of that? Or is it 1 1/2" thread to 1 1/2" PVC?

Oh, and what made you decide to make the change from SS to PVC?

U should be able to get all the stuff from any of those three place's.
My 15 gallon conical has a 1-1/2" outlet. So I use a 1-1/2" nipple to a 1-1/2" ball valve.

So the websites I'm looking at show the lid as a solid lid...dont we need the airlock? Am i missing something in the 16 pages of this thread about adding one?

Back