Ranco Temp Control...what does output 0-10V mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
So pretend i know nothing about electronics (because I don't). I want to get a 2-stage Ranco, but should it be the 211100 or the 211000. The only difference is the 211100 says: output 0-10V and output impedence 1K ohms. I'm pretty sure I need the 211000, not the fancy one that puts out. What does this mean and why does it cost more? Thanks.

You do not want the 0-10V item. I believe your furnace controls operate under 0-10volts. You don't want that.

You want the Ranco output to be 0-120V, which the 211000 does. (terrible model numbering, isn't it.)

However, both of these are for two-stage heating... both a heat output and a cool output.

If you are using this to just operate a keezer, or kegerator, you can get the cheaper ranco : ranco-etc111000000

or better yet, get the 11111000001110000.11 model. You won't regret it!

Seriously. I'm not even as dumb as most ppl and I find it confusing. Thanks for the input, its kinda what I thought. I do need the 2-stage, though, cuz I have to keep my chest freezer in the outkitchen of my 300+ yr old house where temps go from 20F-95F (the heaters don't always work).

Makes me wonder if the Ranco engineers baked in some sort of binary joke...

Heat and cold huh?

What do you plan on hooking the heat output up to? I think it only comes with one temperature sensor. Will you have a heater in your freezer?
If the inside of your freezer is down to 30, b/c it's 20F outside, you going to heat the whole room then? Put heat straps on the fermentors?
(not trying to sound flipant here, trying to envision your setup, in case I ever have the need.)

Makes me wonder if the Ranco engineers baked in some sort of binary joke...

Heat and cold huh?

What do you plan on hooking the heat output up to? I think it only comes with one temperature sensor. Will you have a heater in your freezer?
If the inside of your freezer is down to 30, b/c it's 20F outside, you going to heat the whole room then? Put heat straps on the fermentors?
(not trying to sound flipant here, trying to envision your setup, in case I ever have the need.)

FWIW, I've been using an analog Johnson on a fridge in my garage where the temps range from 30+ in winter to 95+ in the summer. IMO, in most cases you won't need both heating and cooling ability at the same time. It's either heat or cool with some weeks of in between where neither is required as the seasons change. The Johnson can be rewired for either heating or cooling.

FWIW, I've been using an analog Johnson on a fridge in my garage where the temps range from 30+ in winter to 95+ in the summer. IMO, in most cases you won't need both heating and cooling ability at the same time. It's either heat or cool with some weeks of in between where neither is required as the seasons change. The Johnson can be rewired for either heating or cooling.

Yeah I agree, but I don't want to have to think any more than i already have to, plus sometimes the heaters decide to come on out there and sometimes they just don't. In the Spring here we've been having 65+ degree days and then it'll go down to 30 at night. For the extra money and the cost of a crappy little space heater that I can chuck in there its worth it for me. and who knows, if I ever stop brewing (not likely) I can turn the chest freezer into a grow-cabinet!

So pretend i know nothing about electronics (because I don't). I want to get a 2-stage Ranco, but should it be the 211100 or the 211000. The only difference is the 211100 says: output 0-10V and output impedence 1K ohms. I'm pretty sure I need the 211000, not the fancy one that puts out. What does this mean and why does it cost more? Thanks.
You can use both controllers for your application.
The more expensive one has a 0-10 V analog output you can use for remote temperature indication (chart recorder, remote display, etc.)

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back