First wort hop screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
So I missread what the first wort hop procedure is. Instead of adding after first runnings, I added 2 oz. of whole hops at the start of the mash. So they sat for 60 min. with the grain and then I sparged as normal. What kind of off flavor can I excpect from this screw up? Thanks.

I'll send out the schedule later. It was pretty normal. I think it was-
1 oz. Chinook @ 60
1 oz. Chinook @ 20
1 oz. Amarillo @ 7
1 oz. Amarillo @ 0
1 oz. Citra @ 0

Dry hop w/
2 oz. Amarillo
2 oz. Citra

13 lbs. 2-Row
3 ponds other grains.

Expect the WORST off flavors.

Just kidding, it looks fine. Are you saying that you also added 1oz Chinook when it started boiling? If so, then it looks like a fine IPA to me. In fact, had the FWH been in there, you might be looking at an insane IIPA with possibly too much bittering and not enough late additions.

Beer Smith's default Mash-Hop calculation is -80% utilization. for instance, 2 oz of Cascade hops in a 60 minute mash yields 14.5 IBUs. that same amount of Cascade in a 60 minute boil yields 72 IBUs. in theory, that same 2 oz in FWH should yield about 44 IBUs.

Beer Smith's default Mash-Hop calculation is -80% utilization. for instance, 2 oz of Cascade hops in a 60 minute mash yields 14.5 IBUs. that same amount of Cascade in a 60 minute boil yields 72 IBUs. in theory, that same 2 oz in FWH should yield about 44 IBUs.

its impossible for FWH to be less than a 60min add since its boiled 60mins. its roughly 10% more IBUs than a 60min add, but its smoother so seems like a 20min add.

its impossible for FWH to be less than a 60min add since its boiled 60mins. its roughly 10% more IBUs than a 60min add, but its smoother so seems like a 20min add.

After researching the **** out of this in recent weeks, that IBU # is perceived bitterness. I should have mentioned that.

I'd say it's a smoother or more refined bitterness. Tastes like some of the harsher flavors get boiled out.

Back