Thermocouple Install

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
OK...I got a K style thermocouple. It is a short threaded end. How do I hook it up or design a thermowell for it? Any ideas?

Thermowell wont really work for it, since they need something inserted in and your probe is short...best way is probably to find out what the thread size/pitch is (likely 1/4-20 or a close metric equivelent from what I've seen on the ebay thermocouples). Then you either use it weldless style with an o-ring or seal on the outside and a nut on the inside, or drill and tap where you want it to go and use an o-ring or sealant to prevent leaks when threaded in. Keep in mind that the short length will limit where you can put it and get a useful reading...a boil kettle or circulated HLT will be fine since things are moving readily, but a mash tun isnt a good candidate.

I may give it a try. It is for a boil kettle. I may look for a longer style too. Thanks!

Depends on what type of PID/Temp Controller you have...some only use the Type 'x', some use RTD sensors. But either are available in multiple configurations. The 'best' is arguable, and depends on your system. Ideally a tri-clamp thermocouple/thermowell would be the easiest to remove and clean, but if you are using any type of recirculating an NPT type fitting might be easiest as you can use a T type fitting to include it in an existing bulkhead or make it weldless yourself.

Read about a PT100 style. Does this require a thermowell or just place thru bulkhead weldless? I am using a Rex-C100.

Back