Typical lag time on Wyeast 3711?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpaulbarrett

Reaction score
I pitched a 3711 activator pack about 13 hours ago and am not seeing any activity yet. I did NOT pre-activate the pack because I failed to read the directions beforehand and by the time I took the yeast out of the fridge it was already pitch time. Dumb first-time error, live and learn.

Anyway, I did pop the inner pack and handle the thing for a half hour or so to warm it up a bit, and I did sterilize it. I'm wondering when I can expect to see some action—my brewing closet is a little on the cold side, let's call it mid 60s.

Thanks!

Since you underpitched, I'd expect at least 36 hours til you see any signs, maybe even have to wait the full 72, depending how old the pack itself is.

Busting the inner packet doesn't have any effect on the lag time, it's an indicator of living cells in the pack, that's all.

I've only used 3711 once, but I didn't notice anything unusual on the lag time. Mine was chugging away within 12 hours. Where it definitely differs from my usual US05 is in the fermentation time and aggressiveness. The 3711 was a slow, steady fermentation that had activity for several weeks. Without the nutrient pack, maybe yours are just taking a little longer in that first phase also.

Oh wow, was not expecting 36hrs. Good to know I can wait that long before worrying. Pack was brand new (January '13) so we'll see.

So not pre-activating is akin to underpitching?

Oh wow, was not expecting 36hrs. Good to know I can wait that long before worrying. Pack was brand new (January '13) so we'll see.

So not pre-activating is akin to underpitching?

Smaking the pack does not replace making a starter. It just shows that the yeast is viable. You really need to make a starter for most brews except for low gravity beers. Just one pack for most beers is underpitching.

I did a saison with 3711 yesterday afternoon. Pitched at about 6 and was going crazy by the time I got up this morning. I did an appropriate size starter.

You should be ok unless it was a really big beer. The yeast is just reproducing now. 3711 is a beast and will chew through just about anything.

36 hours and we are up and running!

FYI, my recipe:

6lbs Light LME
1lbs Light DME
0.5lbs malted rye specialty
0.5lbs vienna malt specialty
1oz Northern Brewer (60min)
1oz Saaz (10min)
3711 French Saison

Figuring this will be a long ferment. Thanks for the helpful responses.

Back