Got a "nice" little surprise yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Okay so if anyone remembers me asking about my possible gas/beer in/out post on my keg problem, I just got around to fixing it yesterday. Basically what happened was, I had a gas post on the beer out (obviously the beer disconnect didn't like the connection).

So yesterday I got back from two computer jobs I went to right after work. I hadn't been home all day and it was about 8:00PM. I said to myself "I think I'll try and switch those posts tonight." So I get all excited and fill a bowl with some PBW and hot water to clean the new post. It was suggested that I clear the CO2 in the head space, and quickly swap the posts, then replace the head space. Simple! I should also note that my beer was already carbed and pulled out of my keezer (i.e. room temperature).

So after a couple minutes of my new post sitting, I rinse it well with some water and head to the garage. This was good, I was having some friends over and in about an hour, my beer would be at a drinkable temperature. I bent down to relieve the CO2 and......... NOTHING! When I originally removed the keg from the keezer, I had such a hard time getting the disconnect off that I must have loosened the post, allowing all my CO2 to leave the keg! Not only that, sitting in my spare room at room temperature probably didn't have retain any CO2. I'm an obvious genius who takes note of meticulous details.

I tasted the warm, flat beer anyway. It didn't taste bad, maybe a little watery in flavor. I am wondering if my beer had oxygen exposure, and what affect this would have on my beer. Was I just gifted with 5 gallons of meat marinade?

EDIT: I instantly set this to recarb.

Reseal and carbonate is my advice.

There is a strong posiblity that the CO2 blanketed the beer and it'll be fine (because it wasn't moving or in a draft or something)...

At least if this is not the case you are only out some CO2 and still in with the marinade...

Finally if it tastes ok now, but you're worried about the lifespan from this "exposure" it sounds like the best excuse for a party... :mug:

Yeah, but I wonder what the watery taste was... Maybe it's just because it was flat and I had already been drinking... Haha.

Stale oxygenated beer is often described as cardboardy (i think) not watery...

Sounds like a party... What's the address? ;)

You may have relieved the pressure, but you didn't create any type of vacuum that would have removed enough CO2 to have been replaced with O2. I can't imagine your beer suffered in any way except not being carbonated.

Stale oxygenated beer is often described as cardboardy (i think) not watery...

Sounds like a party... What's the address? ;)

I probably wouldn't travel out of the country for 5 gallons of beer, haha.

You may have relieved the pressure, but you didn't create any type of vacuum that would have removed enough CO2 to have been replaced with O2. I can't imagine your beer suffered in any way except not being carbonated.

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted some reassurance. Thanks!

Back