Grandma's liquid apple pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a batch of this on 8/14/13. Og was 1.092, fg is .995 and I used 10 grams of D47 for yeast. I racked from the primary on 10/2/13.

I have seen anywhere from 6 weeks of aging to 7 months mentioned in the thread. Right now mine is not drinkable. Hot alcohol flavor as well as the spice from the cinnamon and nutmeg. Not saying I think it is a bad recipe, I just think it is going to need a lot longer than I thought it would. At 12.73 %abv, I think this is going to be another mead I have to forget about for the next 8 months.

Are a lot of you guys really bottling and drinking this after 8 weeks?

My batch was the same way I thought it was to spicy. 5 months later it is delicious.

Made a batch of this back on 6-28-13. I finally bottled it over the weekend. It is still really "hot" but I plan to let is sit for a while in the storage closet. The flavor and aroma were very nice on the sample I tasted though.

Put together a batch yesterday...looks more like beer than mead.

ApplePieMead_zpsf4cb9510.jpg

Mine has been fermenting for two weeks now. My goal is to have it ready by the dreaded snowfall in February. My OG was 1.086, but I only used 2kg of honey.

I'm not saying these beverages aren't delicious but where I come from this is only remotely a liquid apple pie. In fact you don't ferment it at all. The recipe I've been told about basically is a gallon of apple juice a gallon of apple cider and cinnamon sticks to taste. Boil together till the cinnamon sticks just begin to unroll then cool. Add in GOOD moonshine to taste and bottle(mason jars). a similar more legal recipe I found online subbed everclear for the moonshine but when I tried it it had a hint of rubbing alcohol taste and smell.

I made a gallon batch of this that I bottled about 3 months ago. I opened a bottle on thanksgiving to see how it was developing and it was fantastic! A little sweet, but that is because I used Safale S-04 and it quit on me with a final gravity of 1.030. So like I said it is sweet, but a dash of cool water brings it right down to where it needs to be. The remaining bottles are being mailed out as Christmas gifts. I just started a five gallon batch this weekend with the recommended champaign yeast and I hope to finish it up medium-dry. This is one of my favorite recipes.

Have a 5gal batch of this going now. 2weeks in, just transferred to secondary. Thinking about the finish. Did anyone try this carbonated. And did anyone freeze concentrate this to make a spiced apple jack?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just did something like this but used the Wallmart spiced apple cider. Came out amazing, I was expecting over powering spice flavors but nope. I did add 4/20 litters normal apple juice tho. Here is a pic of the stuff i used...

Large_.jpeg

Just mixed this up first go at a mead since closet stuff in high school a buddy made that tasted like crap so anything will be better but this smells amazing already. I think I'm going to let this ferment out then bottle and have for next fall. I had an og of 1.074 but I'm thinking probably a bit higher since I couldn't get all the honey mixed in is that a reasonable assumption or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just followed the recipe from the original poster, except a little less honey. My OG came out to be 1.072. I used a Yeast Nutrient. I was impressed that I had bubbles in my air lock within 2 hours! This is my first Mead. I'm planning on it being ready by Christmas this year.

Just to clarify, when a mead recipe calls for 1oz of Nutmeg (or any other spice) is it assumed that this is a whole or ground spice? Does it make a huge difference?

Also, being new to this forum, I can't find information on nutrient additions during the fermentation. I'd like to know if/when I should be doing this with this recipe and others.

Thanks

I prefer to use whole spices, the powdered/ground kind sometimes don't clear, even with finings. You can find more info on staggered nutrient additions(SNA) in the Mead Forum, this is the recipe forum; loads more info in the stickies over there :)

I just transferred this to my secondary where it will keep till about December. The taste is not that great right now. No apple of cinnamon flavors at all. Almost a hot, floral taste. My SG right now after 25days is .996.
Hopefully those flavors will come out after another 8 months bulk aging.

I cannot completely remember the exact recipe but if anyones interested i can get it from my buddy. i made a 5 gallon batch of hot apple pie that my friend had found on the internet he made his 5 gallons to the exact recipe i made mine by fermenting all the juice and ciders ahead of time then added the everclear and bottled. mine was very hot his was very sweet. i let mine sit and tried it from time to time about 6 months apart and could see a drastic change every time. its about 3 years now and this stuff is nice and mellow no heat or trace of everclear at all but wow does it ever pack a punch.if you hide a 5 gallon batch away from your self in the celler you'll not regret it.

Well this is my first post and my first start at homebrewing all in one :tank:
Started with
5 gallons of organic apple juice
5# of clover honey
1# light brown sugar (stupid store didn't have dark)
1# priming sugar
1oz ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks
1 pack of lalvin 1118

Used StarSan to sanitize everything. Added 2 gallons of the apple juice to the carboy. Heated the sugar and nutmeg (fresh ground, my hand still hurts lol) with about a half gallon of juice till the sugar was dissolved. Added the honey to the carboy and shook it to mix with the juice. I did rehydrate the yeast per instructions on the packet. Added the sugar/juice from the stove and the last 2 1/2 gallons of juice and then the yeast.
Took a SG reading and got 1.160. That seams really high (again, first time brewing anything) compared to what others have posted on this thread. Do you think my reading was wrong? I took it before adding the yeast.
As a side note my son liked drinking the juice/honey mix that I used to take the reading lol. It's sitting in my basement now w/ the air lock on and an ambient temp of 73*F.

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1032.jpg

Going to a local apple event today to get some apples and fresh pressed cider! How did all these come out?

I have one bottle left from when I made this a year ago. It's good chilled when uncarbed, but when I make this again I will definitely try to bottle condition it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just tasted mine today.
Meh. Not so great. I'm at about 6 months right now. Very cloudy still and have tried isinglass and gelatin to clear it out a bit. They both did very little but it did help. I'm putting 3 gallons in a Better Bottle for long term aging. I hope that time will bring out the apple/cinnamon/nutmeg flavors because there really isn't any right now. It's hard to tell but the flavor may actually be getting a little better than my last sample a few months ago. That was almost un drinkable.

Anyways, I mixed a sample with some apple cider and it tastes ok...:rolleyes:

Pontiac_guy...........
When did yours start to taste good? Is there a strong apple flavor? And how clear did you get the mead? Just asking because I'm starting to wonder what I did wrong. Either way I will let it age until it's right
I also used ground nutmeg so that might be why mine wont clear. Not sure.

thanks

Mine came out a little hazy, but I didn't use fining agents like others are talking about doing. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure I used approx two kilos of honey and I think the recipe calls for five pounds, so maybe that's why mine was more quaffable sooner. I can honestly say this stuff was awful for the first six months. Then it began to smooth out when chilled. I just put my last bottle in the fridge so I'll let you know if there was a huge change to the taste in the year I've had it.

I followed Recipe on here except I used I think its super clear I forgot the name but you put packet 1 then hour later the other pack about 2 years and this stuff is great. And crystal clear

Drinking the last bottle now. It's smooth, but not spectacular in anyway. Again, I think it needs carb'ed, but maybe that's just me. If I make this again I'll dial down the booze and play from there.

So, at about 7 months I still have a haze in it. This is after isinglass AND gelatin for fining. I recently filled a 20oz soda bottle with it and added table sugar for some carbonation. After 2 weeks, it has some nice fizz and it did seem a lot better to drink. It was manageable. The rest will be long term aged for a minimum of 6 more months until I try it out again.

So I had to try this! Looks wonderful. I'm a little nervous that I may not gave stirred the honey enough.

Right now the bottom of the carboy has quite a layer of honey coating it.

It that ok? Should I try to shake/stir this more? Ive already pitched the yeast and was under the impression I shouldn't aggravate the process.

Thanks for the input.

So I had to try this! Looks wonderful. I'm a little nervous that I may not gave stirred the honey enough.

Right now the bottom of the carboy has quite a layer of honey coating it.

It that ok? Should I try to shake/stir this more? Ive already pitched the yeast and was under the impression I shouldn't aggravate the process.

Thanks for the input.

On my first attempt, last March, I dumped all 5# of honey in. It just settled to the bottom, then I pitched the yeast last. You could see the yeast resting on top of the honey for a while before it sprang to life. The yeast consumed everything, and fairly quickly.

Last Sunday, for my second batch I decided to add all the ingredients together and bring all of it to a boil, instead of just enough for dissolve sugars and stuff.

Pics and some notes on both are on my FB page for Counter Insurgency Brewing.

I have a mead going that is similar to this but instead of juice/cider, I used a Apple Pie juice that had all of the spices in it. The juice by it's self is delicious and I figured it would make a great mead. Thinking about letting it sit and age until next year.

So this requires no boiling of water? Kind of nice, as this will be my first time brewing. Bought everything I need but I'm short 2 gallons of cider, should I substitute dextrose and water? Any idea how much?

but I'm short 2 gallons of cider, should I substitute dextrose and water? Any idea how much?

No! Do not substitute water and sugar for missing cider. You'll be very disappointed in the final product. As I see it, you have two options. First, just make as much add you have cider for. Two, get more cider our even apple juice.

No! Do not substitute water and sugar for missing cider. You'll be very disappointed in the final product. As I see it, you have two options. First, just make as much add you have cider for. Two, get more cider our even apple juice.

Thanks friend. I picked up 3 gallons of motts apple juice and I have 2 gallons of cider, although it does have potassium sorbate already in it. I think I'll be ok though right? I also ordered some yeast nutrient, some pectic enzyme, priming sugar, and potassium sorbate in case I need it.

Everything comes in this week so I'll be posting pictures as soon as Friday! Pretty excited! :ban:

I used 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp yeast nutrient

I see you made a gallon? If I make 5 gallons of this would these values scale or stay the same? Any help greatly appreciated. Should be making 5.5g of this, this week, and then 2 seperate 1g meads, one pineapple and honey, one mixed berries and honey!

wellp just made 5.5g of this

5# orange blossom honey
5 gallons indian summer apple cider
1# corn sugar
1# brown sugar
ec-1118 yeast
2.5tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp pectin enzyme
3 cinnamon sticks

Just got the EC-1118 to mix this up over the weekend. Is there any need to add DAP or is nutrient enough (I have both)? Is stepped feeding the nutrient worth the extra time?

Just racked into secondary carboy

Is it normal to lose maybe 0.5g out of 5.5g in a 6g carboy during racking. The last 3" I could get to if I tilted the carboy a bit but I noticed the yeast being a little disturbed so I stopped.

Going to wait a couple days for it to settle and siphon more out. Worth putting into secondary or should I use for cooking or something else?

Got it put together over the weekend. Did 4 gallons so I can secondary in a 3gal better bottle and had to substitute in some dark brown sugar last minute when I ran short of the light brown.
Looking back I probably should have used all 8oz of light brown sugar I had and added more corn sugar.

4 Gallons Apple Juice
4 Pounds Honey
12oz Corn Sugar
6oz Light Brown Sugar
6oz Dark Brown Sugar
0.55oz Ground Nutmeg
3 Cinnamon Sticks
1.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 pack EC-1118 (really needed 2)

Came up to about 4.75 gallons and OG 1.092
Finally started actively fermenting yesterday around 5pm (pst)

Back