adding honey to secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquid134

Reaction score
i brewed the Midwest Supplies White House Honey ale, a little over 2 weeks ago. today i transferred it to secondary (first time doing secondary, 3rd batch ever) not only because they suggested it, but from some reading, it sounded like it wouldn't be a bad idea, and i figured, id try to test my patience! lol

anyway, i tasted the sample i pulled for my gravity reading. and just as i had read online, the honey taste isn't really there. now im debating on whether to just leave it as the kit, and see how it turns out. or see if its possible to add honey now, and if it will do anything.

good idea? bad idea?

While I haven't done it myself, I am planning on adding 1/2lb of honey when I move my american honey pale ale to secondary this weekend. I'm going to dissolve it in a little bit of boiled water first just to make it easier to pour and to kill any possible microbes.

Honey is almost 100% fermentable. All it will do is dry out your beer and up the ABV without adding much flavor. For honey flavor , you want to use honey malt.

If you add more honey, the yeast will eat it and make more alcohol. You will not get honey flavor.

I did the White House Honey Ale and added 2lbs of store bought clover honey to the secondary. I ran the secondary for an additional 2 weeks and then cold crashed it for 3 days or something like that. I then kegged it. For me, it tasted good. Some days I swear I could taste the honey while other days I'm not too sure. It was a big hit with people drinking it, so I will probably make it again, the exact same way. I have a few pics and will attach later.

I added 1/2 lb of honey to my secondary yesterday. Should this be enough to cause some krausen? It's a little early but I don't see any yet.

Back