I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey it reached 1000 and the world didn't explode. Oh wait, is that not what the thousand posts meant? Maybe that's 1500.

Is my beer ruined?!?!?!?
So Sunday I brewed a batch of beer. After it cooled, I threw some yeast in it and the next day there was all this bubbly foam on top and bubbles coming from the blow off tube. I don't know what happened but I'm not sure it's normal. Has anyone ever seen a thick layer of foam on top of their fermenting beer? By the way, I never read anything about brewing and am relying just on other people to tell me what to do as I lack the initiative to actually read about a hobby I'm looking to get into. Any help? Here's a picture of what my beer looks like.

View attachment 79044

What is that stuff?!?!? Is it ruined? It looks ruined! I hope it's not ruined!! But it looks ruined!!!!!

Here's a link that will answer all your questions : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/i-am-idiot-353511/index100.html

static said:
I'm sorry. It just slipped out. I'll do better next time. I gotta lay off the grog after the witching hour.

:mug:

more than 1 reason for that! the witches tend to cast that spell that makes them look like Nicole Kidman after the witching hour and if you're not sharp on your toes and pretty free of grog, your liable to wake up with your junk in an ugly old witch.

Whattawort said:
I have a law degree from FuqU Online School of Litigation. I'll be happy to represent you for a nominal fee. I'll only take 33% should you win the case. I can print out my credentials on this napkin if you want to see them.

No need. seeing his breach of faith, I went ahead and used my second sight to look inside your brain. most impressive my friend, I'll be hiring you as my second in command when I'm ruling the world.

No need. seeing his breach of faith, I went ahead and used my second sight to look inside your brain. most impressive my friend, I'll be hiring you as my second in command when I'm ruling the world.

I knew someone would appreciate my brilliance one day. Next time just ask. I feel a little violated

static said:
How do you think i feel... you do get used to it after a while so there is that.

It was all for a good cause. Unlike your rather trivial look into the minds of my National geographic crew to see their spud intentions.....I was meticulously planning out ruling the whole post-apocalyptic thingy.

cheezydemon3 said:
It was all for a good cause. Unlike your rather trivial look into the minds of my National geographic crew to see their spud intentions.....I was meticulously planning out ruling the whole post-apocalyptic thingy.

You can have it. Too much responsibility for me. I'll just make the zombie limb beer.

You can have it. Too much responsibility for me. I'll just make the zombie limb beer.

does the alcohol kill off the T-virus?

May be coincidence, but people I have known who brew that alwayse seem to end up undead. Of course, harvesting the limbs can be precarious to say the least, and may explain away all of the infections, but I am wary still.

The occasional dead killer whale in my brews grosses me out. I can appreciate the funk, but how in the eff do you sanitize a rotting human arm?

does the alcohol kill off the T-virus?

May be coincidence, but people I have known who brew that alwayse seem to end up undead. Of course, harvesting the limbs can be precarious to say the least, and may explain away all of the infections, but I am wary still.

The occasional dead killer whale in my brews grosses me out. I can appreciate the funk, but how in the eff do you sanitize a rotting human arm?

Who said I was using the arms?? Toss the limb in the wort at 60min and baddabing! it's sanitized. Just strain it out when you transfer to the fermenter. They can only be used on the hot side. If you use them for dry limbing, the T virus will infect the beer. Imagine the odor of dead bears and whales with the appearance of a sour and the taste of hot arse and cabbage and you'll get an idea of what you're in for.

Who said I was using the arms?? Toss the limb in the wort at 60min and baddabing! it's sanitized. Just strain it out when you transfer to the fermenter. They can only be used on the hot side. If you use them for dry limbing, the T virus will infect the beer. Imagine the odor of dead bears and whales with the appearance of a sour and the taste of hot arse and cabbage and you'll get an idea of what you're in for.

Man I feel like a NOOB!!!lol.

Don't know why I just assumed that dry limbing was the only way!!

Ever mash the dead limbs? The boil would kill the virus obviously......

OK. There it is. How much flavor and aroma is left after 60 minutes in the boil?

That is why I assumed dry limbing.

cheezydemon3 said:

OK. There it is. How much flavor and aroma is left after 60 minutes in the boil?

I prefer FWL (first wort limbing)

cheezydemon3 said:

There's just a perfect amount of sourness and twang @ 60. I'm too chicken to do any limb additions after 60. I want that virus dead.

There's just a perfect amount of sourness and twang @ 60. I'm too chicken to do any limb additions after 60. I want that virus dead.

I am with you.

.......oooohhh....most of me wants to stomp zeds out entirely, like small pox, but part of me wants to get addicted to this sour twang! Bet it's epic in a good stout.

I read somewhere that surgically removing the mandible (lower jaw) renders the zeds pretty harmless, but just having them around, you run the risk of somebody getting infected, or even just being a carrier, and then croaking from something unpredictable.......

Just hard to justify the risk.

It's really nice in a saison. Might try a charred one in a wee heavy. Haven't done a stout yet. Do you think it would need some lactose or will the natural twang be enough?

It's really nice in a saison. Might try a charred one in a wee heavy. Haven't done a stout yet. Do you think it would need some lactose or will the natural twang be enough?

Oh wow........wait a sec!! at what temp is the t-virus killed?

Charr a limb by baking it at 425 for an hour or so, and I bet you would kill the virus.....wait for it........AND BE ABLE TO DRY LIMB WITH IT!!!!!!

Genius!

Oh, what? Lactose? I wouldn't. Try it without first and see what you think.

too many variables and it is hard to pinpoint if something went wrong.

*EDIT a little research.......the T-virus can't live in anything over 8% abv, so a straight up uncharred dry-limb is possible in a bigger beer.*

Oh wow........wait a sec!! at what temp is the t-virus killed?

Charr a limb by baking it at 425 for an hour or so, and I bet you would kill the virus.....wait for it........AND BE ABLE TO DRY LIMB WITH IT!!!!!!

Genius!

Oh, what? Lactose? I wouldn't. Try it without first and see what you think.

too many variables and it is hard to pinpoint if something went wrong.

*EDIT a little research.......the T-virus can't live in anything over 8% abv, so a straight up uncharred dry-limb is possible in a bigger beer.*

I prefer to char by way of open wood fire. Gets a little of that smokey goodness in there and you don't stink up the kitchen. Wait a sec....who needs Rauchbier when you can have this going on?? Oh man, the possibilities are endless! Just hope the rats haven't pilfered all my Vienna and Munich. Don't think 2 row or MO will really showcase the smoked limb. I think I have a 1007 starter around here somewhere.

I prefer to char by way of open wood fire. Gets a little of that smokey goodness in there and you don't stink up the kitchen. Wait a sec....who needs Rauchbier when you can have this going on?? Oh man, the possibilities are endless! Just hope the rats haven't pilfered all my Vienna and Munich. Don't think 2 row or MO will really showcase the smoked limb. I think I have a 1007 starter around here somewhere.

OK MAN!!!! YOu and me in on this. Bigger than the were-pig deal.

We use our powers to EXTERMINATE zombies, perhaps staving off the apocalypse......EXCEPT.........for our stable of mandibleless zombies!!!!

We use these to brew the BEST beers in the world......and RULE!!!!!!!

No one else will have zed limb access.

No one else will have zed limb access.

I bought some zed limbs in bulk last year, still got some left... you guys are late to the party. Sorry to burst your BUBBLES.

I would be interested in a trade however. A zed limb for a laser toting shark? Zed limbs are WAAAYYYY harder to find IMO.

He's bluffing. Zed limbs weren't available last year due to Hollywood hoarding them for the slew if zombie movies and tv. Do you have any idea how hard it was to procure an entire infected African village? Besides, zed limbs don't freeze well unless they're vacuum sealed and flash frozen. Found this out the hard way. As soon as warm air hits it, it turns into a mushy ball of ooze and then you have run and find your hazmat suit and decontaminate your kitchen and pray to His Noodles that you got everything.

You know, you can avoid all this virus nonsense easily enough. Just use zombie parts that have been animated with necromancy. No T-virus, no contagion of the zombie state, no problem... Though they do still tend to spread plagues, they are corpses after all. Maybe stick one in a giant jar and pasteurize it.

Some lentil soup I ate last week.

ForumRunner_20121017_234553.jpg

Hmm.. lentil soup.

Have you never hearn
A turtles loving mearn
Or looked across the lew
For a few hamsters to stew?
There's plenty of brew suggestions within
Beers that have been brewed and make you grin.
Everybody is an idiot here
No matter what kind of beer you drink
You're an idiot quite clear and your questions makes me makes my foot cheer!

Any meal that contains no meat makes me sad. This cheered me up though. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back