Anyone have experience repitching yeast from over 6.5% ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I have seen on White Labs that they dont recommend resuing yeast from a 6.5% or higher ABV.

The cost or re-growing fresh batches each time gets pretty high.

According to my math to do a 2bbl batch I would need 9 smack packs and 5.4 gallons of starter.

I looked into buying pitchabe 2bbl but its $183.00!!! That would seriously cut into my profit.

But if repitching effects the quality of the final product then you have to do what you have to do and eat the cost.

So my question is there anyone out there brewing IPA's with a ABV at 7%reusing their yeast with no ill effects?

If so how many times do you reuse? I do not have a yeast lab YET .... so I have no means of staining/counting the cells to test vitality and viability for each batch prior to pitching.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

imperialipa said:
I have seen on White Labs that they dont recommend resuing yeast from a 6.5% or higher ABV.

The cost or re-growing fresh batches each time gets pretty high.

According to my math to do a 2bbl batch I would need 9 smack packs and 5.4 gallons of starter.

I looked into buying pitchabe 2bbl but its $183.00!!! That would seriously cut into my profit.

But if repitching effects the quality of the final product then you have to do what you have to do and eat the cost.

So my question is there anyone out there brewing IPA's with a ABV at 7%reusing their yeast with no ill effects?

If so how many times do you reuse? I do not have a yeast lab YET .... so I have no means of staining/counting the cells to test vitality and viability for each batch prior to pitching.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have gone up to four generations over 6.5% with Pacman and have been able to detect no off flavors or fermentation problems. I'll be pitching into batch 5 this afternoon or tomorrow morning and can post results if you like.

Back when I first started playing around with reusing yeasts, I used yeast from a 9.5% tripel to ferment an 8.5% beer and it came out great. I haven't done it since however since it's not considered to be good practice.

Sorry for the delay! I ended up getting delayed in my brew process and didn't pitch until yesterday morning. But this morning there's a nice, thick krausen on my 7% IPA. I'll post the FG when it gets there.

Back