Blichmann Hop Rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this yet? I didn't see anything in a search.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthernBrewerTV#p/search/0/FEO75CszMcI[/ame]

It is a Blichmann hopback/filter/randal. I haven't had much luck building my own hopback, too many leaks and clogging, but this looks awesome. Guess I know what to ask Santa for this Christmas.

I actually watched the video of this last night and was wondering when somebody would post about it.

There are a lot of parts to it and it seems a little tedious to put together. In fact John Blichmann seemed to be struggling with the clamp at a couple of times in the video. The idea of running it from your keg to tap handle is interesting though. I wonder if it makes much difference to the taste?

I bet the price will be about $100.

The idea of running it from your keg to tap handle is interesting though. I wonder if it makes much difference to the taste?

I bet the price will be about $100.

I have had IPA's that were fed through Randal's. I think the flavor is different and interesting when served this way, but not at all preferable. I like hops as much as the next guy, but I prefer my IPA's to have more than one note. IPA's served through a randal taste like you're chewing on a hop. Interesting, but not preferable (for me).

Now, using this device to add a late hop infusion before the wort hits the fermenter sounds really cool.

Yeah. I'll be getting one for primary use as a hopback between the boil kettle and the chiller. I love the idea of locking in those hop aromas after the boil. I'm guessing it will be used as a randal once or twice just so I can say I did it.

$100 or so is what I was guessing too. I hate to drop that much for a hopback, but my own attempts have been pretty bad so far.

I didn't think it looked that complicated to assemble/disassemble.

Not sure why he used a T-bolt, when an adjustable lever style would make it much easier to assemble, and less bulky.

clamp1.jpg

Looks like a bear to assemble and deal with. They needed a better base or at least a stand.

I thought it looked pretty straight forward. The top piece with the finer mesh was floating around in the beginning part of the video because he hadn't put any hops in. It looks to me like it would go together pretty smoothly. Also, it comes apart well enough to get a good wash.

More like difficult to fill, I mean. The tapered top means you can't set it down to fill it. You (or someone else) has to hold it. Putting it together (I guess that's 'assembly') looks easy.

If there were a stand or mout that could hold it upside-down and in operation, that would be good.

Seems someone could open a third-party Blingmann accessory/fixer business. ;)

Pretty slick and looks well-made, though.

Yeah I saw that video and was very interested as well... I pump everything so that idea that this is completely sealed intrigues me quite a bit. I'm thinking the $100 is about right... B3 has a hopback thats about $80-90 so for one that seals and can be used for multiple purposes a c note isn't bad... now if its much more than that I think I'll pass.

I would buy one right now if it was available... seems like a nice way to insert more hop aroma and filter the whirlpool.

I considered the b3 one a few times, but I think it will have the same problems my home-made one has. Particularly in that it probably won't hold much pressure. They recommend the pump after the hopback which strikes me as a way to burn out your pump. Blichmann rightly recommends the pump in front of the hopback.

Jester, I use an IC in the kettle and I was thinking about recirculating through the hopback back into the kettle the whole time I am chilling... have you done anything like that with your homemade one?

This looks great, I think it might have just shot to #1 on my christmas wishlist.

I'm curious how well it would filter with some simple filter floss thrown in when you don't need the hop kick?

Using as a hop back, wouldn't this thing cause lots of dead space loss, since the output is on the top? I guess you could flip it upside down to drain after your done.

Jester, I use an IC in the kettle and I was thinking about recirculating through the hopback back into the kettle the whole time I am chilling... have you done anything like that with your homemade one?

I haven't, I use a plate chiller. I'm not sure a hopback would get you much over late addition hops in this case.

The way I understand it, the hopback lets you get the hop aroma and flavor into the hot wort just prior to chilling it. Since both systems have controlled inputs and outputs, you won't be able to lose the aroma to outgassing as you would in a normal boil kettle/late addition setup.

I haven't, I use a plate chiller. I'm not sure a hopback would get you much over late addition hops in this case.

The way I understand it, the hopback lets you get the hop aroma and flavor into the hot wort just prior to chilling it. Since both systems have controlled inputs and outputs, you won't be able to lose the aroma to outgassing as you would in a normal boil kettle/late addition setup.

I'm with you... thats exactly the reason why I was looking to this... simply adding late additions isn't getting me the hop aroma and flavor I am looking for. I've been interested and looking into these plate chillers and maybe that is the way I'll go if I decide to make use of this Hop Rocket. Thanks for the insight.

Joe

I've gotten filter housings like this off ebay for ~$35....you can probably make one of these.

It's too big IMHO, too much beer left in the system, and you don't need that many hops to get the Randall Effect! As a hopback, it's probably fine...definitely more industrial looking than B3's hopback (which is rarely in stock).

I don't want to knock it too much, because I think it's a pretty sweet frefab option....especially if you're already getting a kettle and know you'll use it regularly as a hopback.

That's the same price rebel has it for. I'm considering getting one but am not 100% sure how much I'd use it. I guess if I don't like it I could sell it on eBay. Either way a new toy is always fun

I am really interested in his hopback as well, but I would need to change my process and equipment a bit as I currently use an IC and I really don't see the benefit of sending chilled wort through the hopback to the fermenter. OTOH I am considering moving to a plate or counterflow chiller as my whirlpooled IC still takes about 20-40 minutes to get to pitching temps depending on how cool my groundwater is.

I ordered this today from rebelbrewer.com and it just shipped. Unfortunatly I don't have any hoppy beers planned but now have a reason to brew one
Up.

Just bought one from RebelBrewer. Not sure if I'll get to brew with it this season (I'm in Chicago), but I'm hoping we'll get a nice (warmish) day in the next few weeks. I got some vacation time, so I plan to take a day off to give it a try.

Got a load of Willamette hops in the freezer and am *really* excited about giving this a try.

Where does this hopback go in terms of the flow of the wort to the fermenter?

I'm assuming you're pumping hot wort into the side hopback-in, forcing it through the top hopback-out, and then sending it into your plate chiller -- and then into your fermenter?

Mine shipped! Looks like I'll be taking the day off Tuesday to brew.

Great video of the Hop Rocket here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthernBrewerTV#p/search/0/FEO75CszMcI[/ame]

Just got it in the mail today. Smaller than I thought -- but very well put together. Will be brewing on Saturday with it, and I'll post pictures.

Nice, solid. I'm looking forward to it.

Somewhat of a newb question. I noticed you can use this as an in-line filter. Does that mean you can toss pellet and whole hops into the bk, connect the hoprocket to bk outlet, and then connect the hoprocket directly into a therminator without worry of it clogging up? I only ask because I currently don't have a false bottom or hop screen on my kettle.

I was trying to decide if I should order a blichmann hop blocker but saw the new hop rocket which looks like it may achieve the same goal and double as a hop infuser.

Along those same lines, I'm wondering if it's possible to fill the HopRocket with a couple handfuls of rice hulls (to act as a filter) when I don't need it for the extra hops.

I've been using mesh bags in my boil kettle for my pellet hops -- I've got an electric kettle with an element that gets in the way of most BK screens -- and it dawned on me that rice hulls in the hopback might work fine to filter out the spent pellet hops. I'd much rather just toss the hops in the kettle and not worry about bags (or clogging my Therminator).

Anyone try using rice hulls as a way to filter out the crud before the plate chiller?

I'd be worried about bugs in the rice hulls but since you're using a plate chiller maybe the hot wort would kill the bugs. I have not opened mine yet but it has 2 mesh plates in the chamber that may work without any hulls?

I haven't looked too closely at the inside screens of the HopRocket yet -- I'm waiting on some stainless quick disconnects from McMaster-Carr so I can attach the tubing a bit more quickly than using the Blichmann quick connects -- but now that you mention it, I wonder if the screens inside the HopRocket are too course for rice hulls. I know Blichmann says pellet hops will not work.

So maybe I'll always use some leaf hops so I can ditch the mesh boil kettle bags.

Any idea on how to calculate the IBUs from the HopBack?

Any idea on how to calculate the IBUs from the HopBack? Is it essentially the same as flame-out hops -- but decreased slightly because I'm using leaf instead of pellet hops?

I think the calculation is essentially 0 IBUs from the hopback. You are not boiling the extracted oils from the hops, so you are not isomerizing the alpha acids the way you would in the kettle. You are definitely getting some hop aroma and flavor, but none of that counts towards IBUs.

I personally find this to be a confusing argument as hop flavor is bitter. I don't understand the difference between bitterness in an IBU and bitterness in the hop flavor. Nevertheless, the IBU equations generally work out that if boil time = 0, then IBU = 0. It generally isn't as clear cut as multiplying by the boil time, but the effect is the same.

Anybody have a recipe ready for their new toy yet? I'm thinking go big with the aroma hops for the first time using it.

Recipe: Hopback IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 74.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.42 %
5 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 26.32 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.76 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 74.6 IBU
3.53 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) (ArHops -
2 Pkgs SafAle California (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.56 gal of water at 156.4 F 150.0 F

I have been thinking of other things to add to it and recirculate the wort during the entire boil. Things like chipotle peppers, cinnamon, coconut, jaggery, candy and I don't know what else. In the end I'm sure I'll just put some cascades in and call it good :)

I really was suprised how heavy the box was. I can't wait to open it tonight.

In the video, I thought he said whole hops only. You might be able to cut some fine mesh and add it to the screen, but it may clog.

Back