Diffusion Stone Sanitation/Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egaberik

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out if I am storing my diffusion stone and even sanitizing it correctly for a while now and didn't find any threads that helped me so I figured I would ask here. How does everyone do it?

I store mine in a plastic bag and boil it to sanitize.

I have heard that you shouldnt touch it with bare hands because the oils on your hands can clog it. I'm really not sure if this is true just what I have heard.

Would a dip in starsan not be sufficient? I do not have one but it is on my short list of things to buy.

Mine is attached to a stainless wand. I made a PVC tube with a permanent cap on one end and a removable cap on the other for storage. I boil the stone/wand after use, store in the tube, then fill the tube with starsan for a soak prior to use.

Cheers,
Glenn

I clean it off good then just cover the stone in tin foil to stop the oils and such from getting on it. Clean and starsan when I'm ready to use. A side note I have the one from Williams brewing with the SS wand so I think its easier to keep clean than plastic tubing.

I soak mine in star san for about 10 minutes before I use it. When I'm done I rinse it off with water and just let it air dry. It's about 2 years old now and I have never boiled it. I use it 2-3 times per month.

The key to keeping it clean is to pressurize it before putting it in the wort and then rinsing it off while there's still pressure in it so wort can't be absorbed into it.

Back