American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I ended up getting 86% efficiency and only got about 5.2 gallons after I racked to my bucket. OG was 1.060 FG was 1.011. Came out at 6.4%. Wonder how much different this will be from the original. Next time I'll have to make sure to take into account my efficiency in the recipe, lol.

Just gave this a try for my first AG recipe. Things went great and I hit the OG right on, 1.052.

Realized after I got home that the Cascade hops I bought were not as potent as those used in the original recipe (5.4% AA vs 6.6% AA quoted in the recipe), so I added ~1/4oz of magnum hops that I had laying around to the bittering add in order to get back up to the estimated 39 IBU.

Pitched a packet of notty about 10 minutes ago, here's hoping for the best!

Picked up my first shipment of bulk grains and hops...just finished crushing the ingredients for what will be another excelent Haus Pale Ale.

Used Schmidling Malt mill for first time - what a breeze.

One mistake - did 2 lbs of crystal 40 and not crystal 10. Will be a bit darker, but hope the taste doesn't stray.

I have enough ingredients for plenty more !

Hey ED i have everything to brew this except 2 oz cascades i only have 1 oz cascade plug.How do u think it would be if i bittered with 1 oz of cluster and finished with the cascade plug???Also i was thinking of utilizing a notty yeast cake i have a blonde ale finishing up on in my primary,could i just rack ur haus ale onto it ?? Whatda ya think , any help would be great thanks.:)

I brewed up a stove-top partial mash version of this recipe exactly as Edwort described and it turned out great. It's only been in the bottles 9 days but I couldn't help it and had to have a bottle last night. To my delight it was fully carbed and tasted delicious. I missed the gravities by just a bit:

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012

I just got all of my AG equipment and plan on brewing an AG version soon. Cheers!

Hey ED i have everything to brew this except 2 oz cascades i only have 1 oz cascade plug.How do u think it would be if i bittered with 1 oz of cluster and finished with the cascade plug???Also i was thinking of utilizing a notty yeast cake i have a blonde ale finishing up on in my primary,could i just rack ur haus ale onto it ?? Whatda ya think , any help would be great thanks.:)
I'm not ED, but,
You should be fine using cluster for bittering, just compare the AA content and adjust the amount you use. Racking onto an existing yeast cake is great, you will have rapid fermentation, the blonde ale cake should not contribute anything to the beer.

thats what i was thinking ,like .75 cluster@60 .50@cas 30 .25@cas15 .25cas@5. I've never pitched on a cake and i've heard good and bad things but its always nice to be reassured before u try somthing new thanks Bendavanza!!:)

racked into a keg tonight... drank the whole sample!

this is going to be a hit at my birthday party in 2 and a half weeks.

Thanks, I will be doing this again, the old lady loved it as well.

the downside to pitching on the cake is that the cake keeps getting bigger, but you can do yeast washing (search the forums there are some great tutorials) but there is a limit to the number of batches you should do with the home harvested yeast.

Bendavanaza i always wash yeast it saves a ton of money!!!!!However i've never repitched on a cake after transfering my finished beer.I never had a brew day line up with a finished batch and i've heard people say after they transfer out of primary they just transfer the new wort right onto cake in primary,no cleaning no washing yeast no muss no fuss!! Since this is the first time the planets have aligned for me i wanted to give it a shot with edworts HAUS PALE, hopefully im not overpitching but i guess thats what its all about experementing?????? Thanks for the advice:)

As you can see in my sig my first AG attempt this upcoming weekend was going to be a Dogfish Head or Blue Moon clone but I have decided to go with this Pale Ale instead!

Without going through all 142 pages I was just curious if after the 9 days of primary, I can then place this beer into bottles. If so does the primary or the bottles require any kind of crash cooling?

Thanks - I am pumped to do my first all grain!

OK, I also have a question. I imagine it has been asked somewhere in the zillions of pages here, but ...

The instructions specifically say, add the yeast dry do not rehydrate. Why is this? Do you mean, "rehydration is not necessary", or do you mean, "For God's sake man, whatever you do, don't rehydrate that yeast!!"

Yeah, probably a stupid question. But rehydration seems like a good idea to me, so I'm curious.

frazier: Rehydrating the yeast is not necessary with some brands of dry yeast, but i see no downside to doing so.
StarCityBrewMaster: if you place the beer into bottles at 9 days fermentation may not be complete, and also the beer may not have cleared very much yet, 2 things to consider. Generally you want to leave as much trub etc behind in a secondary or just wait another week or two in the primary.

Thanks bendavanza, I saw on here where one of the poster left in primary for 9 days then transferred to keg and force carbed but the bottling procedure is the same.

I just kegged 10 gallons of this on the 10th day. FG was 1.008 from both carboys. IT was so good we were fighting over the test jar. I am thinking of dry hopping one of the kegs until I need it, which prolly wont be long. ;)

I realize I am not the first (or even the 1000th) to make this statement, but Thanks EdWort!!! your recipe is my second AG and I just hit the OG on the nuts!!! I almost have my boil going so I can add this cascade and stop salivating over the smell.

Thanks Again Ed for a Sweet recipe!!!

OK, I also have a question. I imagine it has been asked somewhere in the zillions of pages here, but ...

The instructions specifically say, add the yeast dry do not rehydrate. Why is this? Do you mean, "rehydration is not necessary", or do you mean, "For God's sake man, whatever you do, don't rehydrate that yeast!!"

Yeah, probably a stupid question. But rehydration seems like a good idea to me, so I'm curious.

According to the makers of Nottingham, you don't even need to aerate, believe it or not !

ST.PATTYSDAY BREW got out of work early SSWWEEEEEEEEEEETT!!! I home roasted the specialty grains and i cant wait till its done:ban: what better to do on an irish holiday but brew:tank: or drink;I did both ohhh yeah!!!!

what could I do to lower the IBUs on this one the other half dont like the hops as much thanks again

what could I do to lower the IBUs on this one the other half dont like the hops as much thanks again

lol just lower the hop additions.

If they don't like the bitterness, just cut down the 60 minute addition.

If they don't like the taste of hops (!!!!!!), then take out the 30, 15, and 5 minute additions and make add .5oz at 35-40 minutes.

If they don't like the aroma (and little taste), just take out the 15 and 5 minute additions and add .25oz to the 30 minute addition.

Something like that.

lol just lower the hop additions.

If they don't like the bitterness, just cut down the 60 minute addition.

If they don't like the taste of hops (!!!!!!), then take out the 30, 15, and 5 minute additions and make add .5oz at 35-40 minutes.

If they don't like the aroma (and little taste), just take out the 15 and 5 minute additions and add .25oz to the 30 minute addition.

Something like that.

This beer is so light on hops....

Try turning the carbonation down(lower PSI or less priming sugar). Sometimes with lightly hopped beer, if you carb like it's budweiser, sometimes it'll be sharp, rather than flavorful.

With hops, alot of people don't like the bitterness. If you load up on late additions and cut back the 60 minute additions, you get flavor instead of bitterness. I've seen people get turned on to heavily hopped IPAs this way.

This beer is so light on hops....

Try turning the carbonation down(lower PSI or less priming sugar). Sometimes with lightly hopped beer, if you carb like it's budweiser, sometimes it'll be sharp, rather than flavorful.

With hops, alot of people don't like the bitterness. If you load up on late additions and cut back the 60 minute additions, you get flavor instead of bitterness. I've seen people get turned on to heavily hopped IPAs this way.

Yeah.. seriously. I'm disappointed in myself for not adding more hops.

Yeah.. seriously. I'm disappointed in myself for not adding more hops.
I just brewed 2 batches this past weekend 1 uping the IBU to 50 or so and 1 as usual but piched a yeast starter from a Sierra Nevada bottle instead of Notty! 2 more experimental batches..

Just opened up the first bottle, this was my first all grain. Lightest color I have ever made, excellent flavor, great head, loved it! Couldn't be happier with my first try at AG. Just a great standard ale. Definitely see why this seems to be a popular staple.

Making this one this evening! Keep in mind it's my first AG.
Have a question about the Mash/Sparge process:

Alright - Mash at 152 for 60 mins - check
Here's where I want to make sure I have it right - after 60 mins it says to add 5qtz of 175 water and vorlauf. When adding this water do I add gently or just tip the kettle up and pour it in? Also do I stir the mash and let it sit for another 10 mins or so before I vorlauf?

Then on the sparge it says to pour another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water - same question here do I add gently and do I stir the mash and let it sit for 10 mins or so?

Thanks for your help I am pumped to finally use my MLT cooler!!!

I just brewed 2 batches this past weekend 1 uping the IBU to 50 or so and 1 as usual but piched a yeast starter from a Sierra Nevada bottle instead of Notty! 2 more experimental batches..

Its been 11 days now and the one piched with the Sierra yeast is still cranking away! Wonder if that is the the way this yeast is? I have read that it is 1056? The hopped up version with notty is ready to keg now.

That 175˚ addition is for mashout, which is to raise the temp of the mash before lautering. There are conflicting theories about mashout, esp. for batch sparging. You could have the extra 5 qts in the mash to have a thinner mash if you want or just add it like the recipe states. You would want to stir it in, let it settle so the wort is still, then vorlauf.
For your sparge, definitely stir it in well, and I'd give it a about 10 or 15 minutes for the temp to stabilize before vorlauf and lauter. Remember that the sparge process is to rinse all the remaining sugar you can get from the grain, of course you cannot get all of it as the grain retains moisture but you want that grain to mix well with the sparge water.
-Ben

Making this one this evening! Keep in mind it's my first AG.
Have a question about the Mash/Sparge process:

Alright - Mash at 152 for 60 mins - check
Here's where I want to make sure I have it right - after 60 mins it says to add 5qtz of 175 water and vorlauf. When adding this water do I add gently or just tip the kettle up and pour it in? Also do I stir the mash and let it sit for another 10 mins or so before I vorlauf?

Then on the sparge it says to pour another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water - same question here do I add gently and do I stir the mash and let it sit for 10 mins or so?

Thanks for your help I am pumped to finally use my MLT cooler!!!

Its been 11 days now and the one piched with the Sierra yeast is still cranking away! Wonder if that is the the way this yeast is?

I harvested from some SNPA and pitched it when I brewed this. It didn't go quite that long but it was a long fermentation with a lot of activity. I always install a blow tube when using this yeast.

I harvested from some SNPA and pitched it when I brewed this. It didn't go quite that long but it was a long fermentation with a lot of activity. I always install a blow tube when using this yeast.

Thanks I started at low temp, arount 62* the first week and moved it up to 68* the second to see if I was to cold for the yeast. I thiefed a bit out of the carboy yesterday to check the gravity and it was at 1.015 so it just about there and tried it. Man it was real clean tasting totally different than the on I was keging at the time piched with Nottingham. Guess as usual with this hobby TIME WILL TELL!

I am planning to try this one as an All-grain, Brew In A Bag, No Chill. I put it into Beer Smith, added the No Chill hop schedule adjustments in the notes, and here it is:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
Brewer: Big Slap Brewing Co
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.20 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.60 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.30 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.30 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
50 min Mash In Add 37.00 qt of water at 158.2 F 154.0 F
20 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F

Notes:
------
Hop Adjustment for No-Chill:
- 0.3 oz. Cascade First Wort Hop (Mash In + 50 minutes, outside of bag)
- 1.2 oz. Cascade at 40 min (Boil + 50 minutes)
- 0.6 oz. Cascade at 10 min (Boil + 80 minutes)
- 0.3 oz. Cascade Dry Hop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im three bottles deep trying this for the first time. Yum. This will be made often.. Really good. This batch wont be around for long - I am pounding these. I did a partial mash and will throw the recipe I did here in case it helps others. It's probably in this thread a few times but..
3lbs 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 Crystal 60
4lbs Alexanders Pale liquid
Mashed grains for 1 hour around 155.
Sparge dip for 10 min at 170.
Boiled etc. and followed hops from original
Added the extract at knockout.
I used Saf05.

Again, yummy.

Man, I wish I added another .5-1 gallon to my batch. I got 87% eff and ended up with 6.4%. I was trying to think on how I'd improve this beer and I've come to the conclusion that following the correct ratios would have done that. Great beer ed. I'll do it correctly next time and maybe I'll add some biscuit malt or use marris otter or something.

Back