Flat kegged homebrew Guinness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

searlas

Help before the Chicago St Patty's day parades this weekend! This is the 2nd year that I have brewed my own "Guinness". Last year's "Guinness" was great,,, except that my Guinness tap didn't have the 5 hole pressure disc. I quickly took care of that and had great "Guinness" & "Bass". I know,, bad Irish man for having Black & Tans for St Patty's day, but I didn't have a Harp recipe. This year I made "Harp" (turned out fairly well) along with the "Guinness". However, the "Guinness" comes out flat! I have N/CO2 gas, the disc in my Guinness tapper,,, but flat stout! I kegged conditioned both the "Harp" & "Guinness" for 3 weeks. When the "Guinness" wouldn't pour right, I force carbonated it, but still a flat pour.

Any ideas?

Slan,

Searlas

Not too familiar with beergas, but is it possible you have an empty bottle? Maybe nitrogen but no Co2?

That's about all I can offer.

By the way, welcome to the boards.:mug:

EDIT again: have you tried serving the Guiness through a regular faucet? Maybe the Guiness tapper is malfunctioning.

Did you force carbonate with pure CO2? You will have much better results if you carbonate the beer with straight CO2 first, then use beer gas to serve. Trying to carbonate with beer gas leaves almost pure nitrogen in the keg's head-space and minimal CO2. Release the pressure and put it on CO2. Vent the head space and let it sit.

Back