Fridge Models for Simple Kegerator Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
So what are the refridgerator models that are available today for conversion to kegerators with the least effort possible?

-I do NOT want to have to cut things out of the door so that it will close.

I built a kegerator 3 1/2 years ago when I moved to Ireland and I was able to put the CO2 bottle on the back shelf and fit in 2 corney kegs and shut the door. -No cutting anything in the door was required at all. Removing plastic and exposing styrofoam in a kegerator is just inviting getting beer on the insulation and getting a nasty infection in your kegerator.

I just bought a scratch and dent Fridigidaire from Best Buy that LOOKED like it would work but the thermostat got in the way of the second keg and I'm almost certain that the evaperator coils were in the ceiling and if I would've drilled a hole to mount my tower I would've had a dead fridge so I returned it.

The Danby DAR440BK looks about right except again I don't want to cut out anything in the door. Is there a Sanyo or other model that works today without cutting up the door plastic?

Adam

For least amount of effort you're probably looking at something like the Edgestar BR2000.

It's just like the Edgestar KC2000 Kegerator, holes all pre-drilled with plugs if you want to use it as just a fridge. It comes with none of the hardware of the Kegerator so you pick your own taps and hoses etc. It's a little pricey though, $300+ new.

I've been looking into making my own kegerator and I haven't found anything else that doesn't require cutting.

I saw someone use a wine bottle chiller-style fridge and then just remove the shelves but I can't find that build now and have no idea what model fridge it was...

Adam

Danby DAR440BL will fit one corny and co2 without any door modifications. This is the model I'm using with one keg. Once I figure out how to easily modify the door I will use two kegs.

I went with the Edgestar KC2000 fridge; a fridge to support only a single corney keg seems kinda silly to me. (And I had already bought a double tap tower.)

We'll see how easy this is to get going but it looks to be pretty easy.

Adam

Back