Can you drink beer thats 5-6 years old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
If you want to answer the question in the title, please skip to the bottom. If you want to read a beer story, then simply proceed.

Ever since I was 19 (legal age here in Ontario), and possibly even earlier :D, my favorite beer has been Carlsberg. It was the first twofour I bought, it was the beer I drank in college, and it has been my go-to beverage ever since. Even though my tastes have matured some-what (but not too much. I'm only 25.), and I have been on a personal journey for quite some time to explore the many different beers the world has to offer, I still find myself reaching for a Carlsberg more often than any other brand.

About 5 years ago in December, whilst I was perusing through my LCBO, I came across a Christmas gift package made by Carlsberg complete with 2 new beers and a Glass. The beers were the Dark Lager and Saaz Blonde brewed under their Jacobson line.

It felt like I hit a jackpot. I read on the package that the beers had been brewed with water that had been altered to match the mineral profile of what 'experts' thought was similar to the water that the first brewers of Carlsberg used in the mid to late 19th century. Kinda gimmicky I know, but back then I thought this these beers were truly something special.

So I bought the beers, and brought them with me to Christmas at my folks place. I wanted to taste them but, something held me back; these were, after all, 'special beers,' I thought. So I decided to save them, and kept them on the bar in the basement at my folk's place. I figured if I wanted to drink them so badly, I could always go to the LCBO and pick some more up.

Wouldn't you know it that when I returned to the LCBO, they were all sold out, and they haven't come back in stock since. Every year around Christmas, like the kid searching around the Christmas tree for that lost present, I search the LCBO for Jacobson beer gift pack. It has never been brought back and needless to say I've given up hope.

Being back at my folks house, I was checking out the beers lately and found the Jacobsons that I had bought 5 years ago. Since I doubt they'd ever be sold in the LCBO again, I wonder, can I still drink them now? They've been in the basement, no exposure to sunlight, only 5 years of infrequent light bulb light. Or, have I missed my opportunity?

Can I drink beer that's 5-6 years old? Or, would I end up pouring it out from skunky flavor, or worse?

I got a six pack of Billy Beer I bought back in 1977, it's been in my mom's attic ever since. Think it's gotten better with age?

Stone is doing a full vertical tasting of their Vertical Epic series next month, the first of which is from 2002. If I had the money I would buy tickets to it. Obviously certain beers will age better than others, but nothing ventured nothing gained. All you can do is try it and see.. and report back here how they were.

I would try them,if they aren't any good it was money you spent 5 years ago so it won't seem like you are out anything and you still get to keep the glass.

gestyr said:
Could it possibly get worse than it originally was? :cross:

What I was thinking. As bad as Billy Beer was, I don't think it could have gotten worse.

I posted this photo in another thread, but I added 2 arrows to show where the beer has been for the past 5 years.

Yep. I found an Octoberfest that I brewed in 96 in my parents' basement. It got put there with the rest of my belongings when I went off to the Navy. Like Revy's post, it was stored pretty much at optimal temps (quite by accident since i didn't even realize it was put there). We drank the 12 pack at a family get together in 04. The consensus was that it was very, very good, and it got me back into the hobby.

Back