Beef in Bourbon Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwirevo

Reaction score
After looking at a couple of recipes for cock beer, I don't think it works well with todays chickens, they don't have the flavour you would have got with the old cocks that would live longer, eat more variety and be darker meat, and I think that's why most people find it only OK to terrible. (I think I read one person who really liked it but he said it only had a slight roast chicken flavour in the background) So I thought what other options might work.

Beef in Bourbon Beer!
cook up some well done (as I can't imagine you want any blood in there) beef either steaks or a roast, then soak it in bourbon for a week then chuck it into an amber ale after the first 2 days of fermentation???
could be awesome. Just need to make sure the bourbon doesn't push the abv too high that the beer can't finish fermenting
low hopping, only for bitterness.

What do you think?

If ur gonna do welldone don't use steak or roast. You shouldn't abuse steak like that. Use brisket or clod.

But if chicken doesn't work as well for a cock ale why not use a pheasant or a duck or another species of foul? Squirrel might work as well.

PapsD said:
If ur gonna do welldone don't use steak or roast. You shouldn't abuse steak like that. Use brisket or clod.

But if chicken doesn't work as well for a cock ale why not use a pheasant or a duck or another species of foul? Squirrel might work as well.

That will be cool a squirrel and you can call your beer Road Kill Ale

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

One of my friends would say exactly the same thing :D

I'm not sure what cut I'd use yet, but you're probably right, I'll see what the butcher has, something low fat would probably be best.

I live in New Zealand and the cost of doing duck or pheasant would be prohibitive.

One of my friends would say exactly the same thing :D

I'm not sure what cut I'd use yet, but you're probably right, I'll see what the butcher has, something low fat would probably be best.

I live in New Zealand and the cost of doing duck or pheasant would be prohibitive.

You could try hunting down a hobbit and cutting it up in to little bits. I hear they're all over the place down there.

:ban:

I've never heard of such a thing, and it sounds pretty horrifying; but hey, I'm all about experimenting. Just remember...this is the internets. Pics or it didn't happen!

I've never heard of such a thing, and it sounds pretty horrifying; but hey, I'm all about experimenting. Just remember...this is the internets. Pics or it didn't happen!

Geez, this new generation of brewers these days, don't know from our history. :rolleyes: ;)

To Make Cock Ale....

Learn something noob. :p

I think he means he's never heard on Beef in Bourbon beer. (cos I just made it up in the mystery that is my head)

I apologize for te following:
If I ever make a cock ale I think I will call it Rocco Sifredi Ale or Ron Jeremy Ale...

cook up some well done (as I can't imagine you want any blood in there)

I don't have much to add about the beer (except to echo the sentiment not to use steak, both because it's a misuse of expensive meat and because you'll likely extract more beefiness from a cheaper cut), but I want to spread the word and dispel the myth of a "bloody" steak. While there is probably a very small amount of blood in meat, virtually all the red juice in raw meat is just water and myoglobin.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

Good luck with your project.

I tried bacon Rogue's maple bacon beer. It was well made, but I thought it was gross. There are a few commercial examples of Oyster Stout that get good reviews.

Beef is a lot more mild. It might taste ok. Why stop there? Make a whole pot roast with veggies and everything. Roast it until well done. Chop into cubes. Rack beer on chopped pot roast for 14 days and you get Pot Roast Porter.

I sampled a BBQ brisket beer by cib brewery out of Iowa at a beer festival a few months ago. We talked to them and they smoked brisket and took all the drippings and clarified it to remove the fat and solids then brewed it. It actually wasn't bad. The beef flavor was mild and came thru in the finish.

So I'm starting :)
800g Skirt Steak is in the oven, I've got a bottle of makers mark bourbon and in a week I'll start brewing a can of Coopers Real Ale with Coopers Brew Enhancer #2
I'll put the Beef in Bourbon into the fridge so any fat comes to the surface and can be scooped off. Then after a day or so of fermentation I'll add the beef and bourbon.

Beef in bourbon beer.jpg

After 2.75 hours the beef comes out and goes straight into 500mL of bourbon. lid on and I'll leave it for a week. not sure yet when I'll put it in the fridge.

Beef in bourbon.jpg

I have an excellent idea for steak, potatoes, asparagus, and nice roasty stout. Brew an obsidian stout clone. Cook the steak medium rare. Roast the potatoes with a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and rosemary. Roast the asparagus with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil. Sit down and eat and wash it down with the stout.

JDFlow said:
I have an excellent idea for steak, potatoes, asparagus, and nice roasty stout. Brew an obsidian stout clone. Cook the steak medium rare. Roast the potatoes with a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and rosemary. Roast the asparagus with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil. Sit down and eat and wash it down with the stout.

Try smoking it over coffee beans or fresh rosemary, dank.

Gonna have to read the heavy cream banana ale thread.

I put the beef in bourbon into the fridge, I didn't want to risk it sitting out. but I gotta say it smells good but looks disgusting. well the beef aint gonna be in the bottle so that's not a problem. I'm considering cooking up a stew when I pull the beef out of the beer then freezing the stew whilst the beer bottle ages then eating and drinking the two at the same time. How's that for consistency! :p

kiwirevo said:
Gonna have to read the heavy cream banana ale thread.

I put the beef in bourbon into the fridge, I didn't want to risk it sitting out. but I gotta say it smells good but looks disgusting. well the beef aint gonna be in the bottle so that's not a problem. I'm considering cooking up a stew when I pull the beef out of the beer then freezing the stew whilst the beer bottle ages then eating and drinking the two at the same time. How's that for consistency! :p
Well I don't know how your experiment its going to turn but what the OP did in that thread was a recipe for disaster and failure... it was fun.
Thats the difference: in that thread I dont think there was a chance for that beer to turn out well.... your case is different

I'm starting the beer off tonight, then I'll put the beef in after a couple of days. I just needed to bottle the been already in the fermenter which I did last night. will update tomorrow with pics but it's just going to be make the coopers kit as per instructions.

Back