Brewers Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
Brewers Log date 999.5533453

Brew day today was sucessfull. The porter cooked up nicely with the exception of a boil over when the flavoring hop pellets were added. The color is much darker than I thought, very similar to a stout. The new wort chiller worked like a charm. Cooled the wort within 10 minutes. According to the online recipe calculator, my OG was to come in around 1.045 to 1.050. Hydrometer reading was 1.042 at 80F. Calculated OG is 1.045. Not to shabby. The first yeast starter looked good with a half in or so of yeast at the bottom of the growler. So now I am proud to say yes, the porter is in the primary :D . The dog is currently standing guard for the first signs of activity. Next on deck, a fruit heffy.

WOW, less than 1 hour and there is already 5 bubbles/min from the airlock. Starters are sweet!!

So I go to bed last night feeling all good about my new porter just bubbling away. I get woke up at 4am with a big BOOM!! I thought someone was breaking in the house. There I am looking around the house with a golf club and it was all clear. I opened up the bathroom door and wow, the lid blew off my bucket. I scambled and sanitized everything again and installed a blow off tube. I go back to sleep thinking everything will be alright. Sure enough 6 am rolls by and again I am awoken by a big BOOM!! Damn, it blew the lid off again. So there I am again in my skivies trying to clean up this mess. I got everything cleaned up again and installed a bigger diameter tube. So far it looks to be holding. I have had some aggressive primaries before, but this one takes the cake. :D I am now going to have to upgrade my equipment to handle more aggressive fermentation if I am going to continue to use yeast starters :cool:

anthrobe said:
So I go to bed last night feeling all good about my new porter just bubbling away. I get woke up at 4am with a big BOOM!! I thought someone was breaking in the house. There I am looking around the house with a golf club and it was all clear. I opened up the bathroom door and wow, the lid blew off my bucket. I scambled and sanitized everything again and installed a blow off tube. I go back to sleep thinking everything will be alright. Sure enough 6 am rolls by and again I am awoken by a big BOOM!! Damn, it blew the lid off again. So there I am again in my skivies trying to clean up this mess. I got everything cleaned up again and installed a bigger diameter tube. So far it looks to be holding. I have had some aggressive primaries before, but this one takes the cake. :D I am now going to have to upgrade my equipment to handle more aggressive fermentation if I am going to continue to use yeast starters :cool:

LOL...that's hilarious!
I've yet to have one blow up on me!!! *crosses fingers*

i've been hearing about all of these blow ups and i'm afraid!!!!! haha especially once i start my barley wines. so i've been looking into it and i think to avoid a blow up i'm going to buy a few 7.5 gallon plastic primarys and use those. i do not relish the thought of mopping the ceiling at all and SWMBP would be very, VERY unhappy. i'm also looking at getting a 15 gallon plastic conical once i go all grain. i'm thinking once i do this, i'll either find the biggest cooler i can find and use that or i'll get 2 coolers and run them both at the same time for 10 gallon batches. with the keg fridge i have planned, i'm thinking that 10 gallon batches will be the right way to go if i want 14 beers on tap.

I have learned since my first major blowup from a few years back. Now, I ferment in my spare bath tub with the curtain drawn. That way if it does go it will be somewhat contained. I had also put an old T-shirt around my bucket this time. That pretty much contained everything. I think that there was only one spot on the ceiling. :p

Back