No-build fermentation chambers (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone been able to put together a fermentation chamber with no (or minimal) drilling/building/wiring etc.?

For example, I'm thinking something along the lines of a chest freezer with a pre-wired Ranco two-stage controller and a heating pad, with all the cords just running out under the lid.

I'm really impressed by the builds I've seen on here; however, many of them are beyond my current level of skill/patience.

Thanks,
R

That is exactly what I use. I purchased the Ranco unwired but any HBS online will have one pre wired so all you have to do is plug it in.
Only issue I have is some condensation building up on the walls which is easily wiped off. If you want to you can program the Ranco to control to heat and just plug a hair drier into it and hang it in the freezer ( unplugged freezer) if you are looking to get warmer than ambient (I'm thinking of the people in MN fermenting Saisons in there garage freezer in january)

I also did the same thing with my now keezer but i used a dual stage with the freezer controlled by one side and a 100W light bulb on the other outlet. worked just fine as stated by Brewskii. Go for it.

Yes, I only use my for cooling so I have only The RTD inside and I put it in the back side between the hinges of my chest freezer between the lid and chest. Some people run them through the drain plug but I would think you would need to uncouple the RTD to do that and run it through, wires first from the inside and it sounds like you don't want to deal with that. I have had no problems as the wire on the sensor is less than 1/4"
Just remember to give some lead room in there so you can get the RTD against your ferm or you'll be controlling the air temp and not the beer temp

A little Building, but all very simple and very very cheap:

Ultra bastard son of fermentation: buy the largest rubbermade container you can find at walmart. buy a sheet of 1/2" insulation board (4x8 ft. @ lowes like $8). Buy one roll of insulation "bubble wrap" ($12 @ lowes.)

line the bottom and inside of the container with the insulation board, then cover the board with the bubble wrap for extra protection.

next, wrap the outside and lid with bubble wrap. then boom! your done. from here you can use a temperature controller and whatever heat source you desire.

Note:if you are fermenting with carboys you may have to build a collar with the insulation board to raise the lid a few inches.

UBSoF.jpg

I took a stand up frost free freezer, took out all the shelves but the top one, and drilled 1 hole for my temperature probe.

Lots of wasted space but it was a free freezer so who cares.

I used a danby small mini fridge and hooked up temperature controller. It fits either a wide 6.5 carboy or 5 gal carboy. Unfortunately with the 6.5 gal you need to use a blowoff tube instead of a airlock(which doesnt make any difference to me).

I own two carboys, both are different shapes. One is taller, green with ribs, the other is clear slightly shorter, wider without ribs. The wider one fits while the taller one doesnt.
I heard somewhere that the wider one may be older from Italy, while the green one is newer from Mexico. But I could be wrong.

If your interested in my setup, let me know. Ill post some pics on how things fit.

get a free, old fridge from craigslist. empty out the shelves, plug it into a temp controller and, voila! fermentation chamber.

Nice of you all to chime in. Glad to see people are having success with some low-tech builds.

I want to be able to do two buckets at a time, and I'm tired of carting ice around...I'll probably end up going with a chest freezer/Ranco controller.

I was just on the Polarware site as I'm considering a new brew kettle. Low and behold I just saw this "party barrel". At 31", I think it'd fit a 6.5 carboy with airlock would totally fit. You could probably drop a couple bottles of frozen water in there for a nice chamber. I wish I hadn't just bought an Igloo cube cooler to modify.

http://www.polarware.com/home-brewing/party-barrel.php

Back