Bars of Madison, WI (go badgers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm coming home in January and I was wondering if any new good bars have opened up. I don't mean like the KK/Wando's/Madhatter's types obviously; I'm talking about Brasserie V/Malt House/Brocach.

So, any new ones to check out?

:mug:

The old cloud nine grill turned into an ale house. But i don't know the new name. I think it is on 30 just outside of town. Sorry i don't know more details. Welcome back! EDIT: It is called Jovian and is off cottage grove road.

Yep, been to Ale Asylum a bunch of times, the place is great. Essen Haus always smells like urine and my wife refuses to go there after getting served a piece of plastic in her sour cream at the Come Back Inn ( same owners).

Essen Haus always smells like urine and my wife refuses to go there after getting served a piece of plastic in her sour cream at the Come Back Inn ( same owners).

I tried the food at the Essen Haus once and while it seemed true to the German style, I was unimpressed. I don't know anyone who goes there for the food, but the beers...now *that's* another story.

I'm particularly fond of the place given that's where I started drinking real beer once I moved back to Madison from the St. Louis area...Yes, I was a Bud Heavy drinker for about 6 months before I came to my senses.

I agree about the Essen Haus and come back. I will never eat there again. But when friends come back to town they always wanna go there to drink. Nothin says comaraderie like a 5 litre stein. The Old Fashion is a good place to try some good beer. They have a good rotating selection of wis made product. They are on the square so a bit pricey and still the place to be seen.

My favorite Madison place is the Weary Traveler on Willy Street. Awesome food, good tap list, good music, good prices. It has been there for a long time, but many people haven't been there. Best spot in town hands down IMO.

My favorite Madison place is the Weary Traveler on Willy Street. Awesome food, good tap list, good music, good prices. It has been there for a long time, but many people haven't been there. Best spot in town hands down IMO.

I remember you mentioning that place before and I think I've been there once in 2004 but I can't remember anything about the place aside from seeing a Roman pub crawl flier in there.

A friend of mine is heading to Madison tomorrow and is offering to pick me up some beers.
Other than New Glarus, what other possiblities are there they I can't get here in IL (for example, Stone), and where's a bottle shop with good selection, easy to find, etc?
thanks!

Riley's wines of the world on University is the best beer shop in town. The only thing I can think of that you likely can't get are central waters. Have your friend buy anything wood aged they have. In my opinion, central waters makes the best wood aged beers int he world.

Do you get Furthermore?

I go up there every year in February for a model train show and it is a tradition to stop at Great Dane for dinner and to grab growlers to take home.

Furthermore? Never seen it in the Chicago area. Maybe the OP has, but not me.

No Furthermore here.
How do Stone brew get sold there, mostly 22s or 6 packs?
I'm just trying to figure how to get my list all set.

edit: hoping to get some smoked porter, probably IPA, maybe ruination, still looking at others

Yes, Furthermore makes the Boomblaty as well as other good offerings.

Yes, you can get Stone. You should be able to get anything you want, but I haven't been there for a while so who knows what they are stocking these days.

I would also recommend stopping at Woodman's grocery store. There's one on the east side and one on the west side. I think the west side has a better selection. I can't go there very often. I get brain lock trying to decide what to buy. It's overwelming.

I would also recommend stopping at Woodman's grocery store. There's one on the east side and one on the west side. I think the west side has a better selection. I can't go there very often. I get brain lock trying to decide what to buy. It's overwelming.

This.

Woodman's by far has the best selection in town.

Thanks all!
My friend now has $50 of mine and a decent idea of what to look for.
Woodman's works out great, place she's going to is right by there.

When I make the trip to Madison, I hit Liquor Baron at 2929 E. Washington Ave. If you are on the east side of town it is pretty easy to find. They carry most of the beers from the larger Wisconsin breweries.

From my college days, I also remember that Steve's Liquor had a good selection as well (three locations; see stevesliquorstores.com). Their locations are on the western and southern parts of town.

And +1 on Woodman's. I don't know what the selection at the Madison locations is, but they have the best selection in Green Bay where I live. Don't plan on using a credit card, though--cash or debit.

The best beer bar is the Malt House on East Washington Avenue at North. Has 150 different beers with about 8 or 10 on tap. Great vintage back bar and bar too.:mug:

The best beer bar is the Malt House on East Washington Avenue at North. Has 150 different beers with about 8 or 10 on tap. Great vintage back bar and bar too.:mug:

The Malt House has 18 taps actually. Their tap list as of last Tuesday:

Lindeman's Framboise,
Noblesse,
Chimay Triple,
Blanche de Bruxelles,
Toria Blonde,
St. Bernardus Prior 8,
Sand Creek Oscars Chocolate Stout,
Potosi Snake Hollow IPA,
Red Eye "A Cart Ride To Mexico",
Ale Asylum Bedlam,
Tyranena Bitter Woman ,
Sand Creek Groovy Brew,
Unibroue Maudite,
August Schell Hopfenmalz,
Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel - Route Des Epices,
Jolly Pumpkin E.S. Bam,
Stone Old Guardian Barleywine,
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA

Agreed. Great beer, chilled atmosphere, and the best burger I've ever had, "The Bad Breath Burger".

Hey guys, unrelated but timely. Point has stopped using returnables! I was returning a case to Woodman's and she said they won't take them back in the near future. Just thought you might like a heads up. It was my go to beer for getting bottles.

I'm heading to Madison this weekend so this thread was really beneficial to me. Normally we just go to the Great Dane but we'll have to hit up some different bars this time.

Back