Control Panel for Kal Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookeBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've started preparing the garage and ordering a few parts for my electric brewery build like Kal's.

I've priced out building my own vs buying Kal's kit, and though I know it will be harder and will take longer, building my own is important to me both as a challenge, and it allows me to buy components as funds allow. My preliminary calculations place my total cost at about $800 give or take, including shipping. I'm sure Kal and others will disagree, but I think I'm pretty accurate.

Anyway, one of the components I am having most trouble pricing and locating, even, is the control panel box. I can't seem to find what I need on Ebay or Amazon, but I did find this: http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/N1A16167/N1A16167-ND/2569353 - it's 16x16x7 not 8. Do you think that I'll have enough room with one less inch? My feeling is that it will probably be fine, but I just thought I would ask here.

That enclosure is only NEMA 1, not 3,4,12 but I am not concerned as it will only be used indoor. It has a back plate, and best of all shipping is only $8 (this company does free shipping over $200!)

I've seen cheaper enclosures mostly intended for junction boxes, but of course they do not have backplates and the only mounting option is usually through the back of the panel which would make it more difficult to mount with components. As I understand it, the back plate is critical for mounting the components properly.

Thoughts?

That is exactly how I did it as well. It did take awhile, but the bank funds like it a lot more. I only had around 500 in mine, an that's with the auber pids and timer. Just be patient and look for good deals on eBay and amazon for contractors and switches. Believe it or not, I have more money in my keggles/ pumps / hoses etc than I do in my control panel, good luck!!

I bought the 12x16x8 enclosure from that seller for $79 delivered.
I did a 2 element single PID with the deluxe RTD (auber), my total cost for the control panel came in around $600 with the nice flange mounted receptacles

Welcome. Now I'm glad that I dug in to find the right one.
Took some doin' but I'm pleased.

P-J

Me too!

I'm ashamed - I'm usually quite the ebay ninja.

I use a package receiving company in Point Roberts, WA. My mother lives just across the border in Delta, BC. It won't ship till Mid-November, I don't know how I will stand the suspense. I live on Vancouver Island, so I will have to wait until the next time she visits/I visit to get it. I am, however, planning to go to the Springsteen concert in Vancouver on Nov 26, so hopefully it will be there by then!

Now, to order those pricey fittings.

ow, to order those pricey fittings.[/QUOTE]

Bobby at brew hardware dot com, good prices, awesome service

Since this is a Kal Clone build, I have to say. yesterday afternoon I ordered some misc parts from McMaster-Carr. about an hour ago my wife calls me and said 'more beer stuff' was delivered' McMaster-Carr hand delivered it, I guess when they have local distribution centers they take it themselves, and skip usp/usps etc. Pretty impressive.

I found a 16x16x8" enclosure here:
http://www.aiconsol.com/snb-3737-bud.html

The website isn't much to look at but I received my order within 2 days of ordering. Came out to ~ $100 with shipping. The nice thing about this box vs. the Pioneer Breaker that everyone seems to use for Kal Clone builds is there is no removable plate to seal up on the top of the box.

Hey Vinyl- does that box meet the NEMA and IP specs that Kal mentions on his site?

According to the manufacturers website, it meets NEMA type 1, 2, 4, 4X and IP65 ratings. From what I can tell, there is a gasket around the door that seals when the door it locked. There is no hole in the top/bottom of the box to seal either.

Back