New to Ciders. did 2 batches no ferm yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cieje

Reaction score
Hello all :mug:

I'm new to cider brewing and yesterday did these two batches:

1:
5Gal Motts all natural AJ
4 pounds white sugar
Lalvin EC1118
SG 1.079

2:
5Gal White House Natural Cider
4 pounds light brown sugar
Notingham Ale Yeast
SG 1.061

It's been about 12 hours since pitching yeast and so far only the Mott's cider as bubbled at all, about 1-2 times a minute. I opened them both up, sanitized a long handle spoon, and gave them both a really good stir to make sure everything was fairly mixed. The Mott's cider had a lot of yeast bouncing near the surface, but the WH cider didn't seem to have any.

The Yeast were packets, I left them at room temp for about 4 hours prior to pitching. I didn't do a starter or anything, just tossed them in after pouring in the juice and sugar in each batch. I didn't heat anything, just poured in a gallon of juice, dumped in sugar, poured more juice, mixed a bit, finished off the juice, and put the yeast in.

I'm somewhat concerned with the temperatures in my apartment as well. I don't have a thermometer on hand, but the weather says it's only 64F out today, so I assume it's between 60-70 in the apartment. I'm not using central heat or anything, and normally I don't even use a heater till later in the year.

I was considering getting some tubs for the brewbuckets to fill with water and throw a cheap fishtank heater in; is this an effective and cheap way of making sure I have the right temps for a brew of this type? I was under the impression that 60F-ish would be ok, but I guess not.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew. Don't open anything up again. 12 hours is nothing in the way of waiting. Instead of stirring, just swirl the container. The yeast will find the sugar. The less you disturb the yeasties, the more clear your end product will be.

Yep, what ColbyJack said. Be concerned after 72 hours of no activity, not 12. Also, I do most of my fermenting at about 65 degrees. For me, "Low And Slow Is The Way To Go".

gotcha, well that's good to hear. I just didn't know if I needed some more temp control, or yeast nutrient or something. With the beer kits I did before, they would be bubbling like crazy by now typically. I'll give it a couple days and see Thanks!

I don't use a "starter" for ciders but I do proof my yeast. I just take a cup or so of juice in a sanitized container and pitch my yeast into it. I place it somewhere warm and wait for visible activity before pitching into my batch. I havn't run into a dead packet yet but I figure better safe than sorry.

With the exception of my skeeter pee and limeade I've never made a starter. I take the yeast out of the fridge and let it get to room hemp while I'm getting everything ready. By the time I pitch the yeast packet directly into the must, it is up to room temp. It seems as though they start growing in numbers almost immediately or a few minutes upon pitching.

It has now been over 72 hours. One of the brews, #1 with the Motts, seems to be going great! it's bubbling away happily. #2 with the WH Cider has still not bubbled at all. So what should be done?

If you are looking at the airlock, don't. I've been brewing over 10 years and my latest cider's airlock wasn't doing anything. Checked the gravity after 72 hours and it was down 25 points.

If you are looking at the airlock, don't. I've been brewing over 10 years and my latest cider's airlock wasn't doing anything. Checked the gravity after 72 hours and it was down 25 points.

sounds good. I'll check the gravity, and if I'm not satisfied I'll try pitching some yeast, but I'll start the yeast prior like the package says. I also grabbed some Yeast Energizer, so maybe some of that too if needed.

If you're going through to effort to repitch, make a real solid starter, not one just off the package instructions. Start out my hydrating the yeast as directed, leave covered 2hrs. Add about 1/2oz apple juice or similar and let sit another 2-3hrs. Add another 1/2 oz juice and set aside 2-3hrs. If you figure the yeast multiply every 4hrs, then a starter that introduces a similar juice to the environment as the cider will help it acclimate and become more robust. This technique has not just restarted stuck batches, but stretched out over 12-24hrs while adding juice, can often overpower the preservatives in commercial juices to produce wines/etc.

I picked up some Yeast Energizer, which essentially looks to be yeast nutrients, and tossed in the appropriate amount. I then stirred it up a bit to aerate and things started bubbling pretty quickly. within a few hours it seemed to be making bubbles in the airlock; not as robust as the Motts juice with EC1118 but it's going now.

I did get another package of Nottingham if I think I need to repitch, but I'm going to try to avoid it if I can.

Are you using buckets? Cuz buckets kinda suck in that way. I had no activity in my last batch too, so I thought. Then after taking a gravity reading and closing it back up, the bubbles started. So I was leaking co2 out somewhere else. Doesn't matter though. Wasn't letting anything in, that's for sure. If you are unsure how fermentation of anything is going, reach for your hydrometer. It's the only way to be sure.

Are you using buckets? Cuz buckets kinda suck in that way. I had no activity in my last batch too, so I thought. Then after taking a gravity reading and closing it back up, the bubbles started. So I was leaking co2 out somewhere else. Doesn't matter though. Wasn't letting anything in, that's for sure. If you are unsure how fermentation of anything is going, reach for your hydrometer. It's the only way to be sure.

I am using buckets. I did take readings after about 48 hours and then 72 hours and there was little to no change, but it looks like the nutrients have helped.

Back