keggle false bottom or SS braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks: Kegs are ready for the conversion. I need to know a little more about the different "filters" use in a keggle. In my mash tun (cooler type) I use a SS hose as a strainers for the grains. In the hot water keggle I assume no added bottoms needed. Now the boil Keggle has different options...yes??? I can go with either the SS braided hose or a SS false/folded bottom? What are the benefits of either one. I can make the SS braided hose pretty cheap but the other I will have to buy. Is the purpose of the false bottom to keep hops from burning? Or is is just a filter like the braided hose? Thanks guys. I think I am ready for some 10 gallon batches. I am really having a hard time keeping the kegs filled. Charlie

For your boil kettle, a false bottom or braid is just to filter out the hops. Both of those really only work for whole leaf hops. A hop bag or hopstopper is needed if you want to filter out pellet hops. What have you been using to filter the hops?

Are you switching to a keg as a MLT now too? The options are basically the same as any other MLT. False bottom, braid, manifold.

You shouldn't need anything but a siphon tube in the HLT.

thanks lil Sparky, only took 7 min for reply. I only do PM now and filter hops(always use whole leaf) with a stainer in a funnel into the carboy. I will continue to use the cooler for the mashtun but am building 2 keggles for HW and boil. So why do folks use the more expensive false bottom, larger surface area for filtering?

I use an (is $35 expensive?) FB in a keg as a MLT. It filters out the grain, just like the braid in your cooler.

I use one of these in my BK to filter the hops.

I use neither in my BK. The dip tube bends down close to the bottom of the keg, but about 4" in from the center. I use a copper chore-boy over the end of the dip tube as a hop strainer. It works just fine, as long as I have some whole hops in the boil. I haven't used it with pellet only.

Boil, chill, whirlpool, wait five minutes, and most of the break and hops are toward the center.

I use the hop back posted by sparky and a stainless steel scrubby over the end of the tip tube in the keggle to catch anything else, I have a CFC so i let the coldbreak/yeastfood drain into the fermenter

Does the hop filter work for both pellets and whole?
PS took you 44 minutes for this response...slowing down a little;)
Yeah, trying to actually get some work done today.

That hop bag filters both whole and pellet hops. It's a huge bag - it reaches all the way to the bottom of the keg - so the hops roll around really good in the boil. I don't think I lose much hop utilization with it.

Back