East Kent Golding or Cascade for my Dunkel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing up a Dunkelwiezen tomorrow, and I can't get the german Hallertau. I have acces to American Hallertau, but I don't want to make the 2 Hour Commute to the Home Brew Shop. The hop addition is a simple 60 minute boiling hop, so I don't think I'll taste a difference. I have Cascade at 6.9% Alpha, and East Kent Golding at 5.0% Alphas. I am looking for right around 14% IBU's. Which do you think I'd be better off with? And do you think it really matters which one I use?

Both are less than ideal, but I suspect the Cascade will be the more noticeable substitution. I can't verify this from personal experience, but I have heard it mentioned a few times that it has a detectable and characteristic flavour even when used only as a bittering hop. Best to stick with the EKG, IMO. It is going to have more neutral flavour and no aroma, which is desirable in a DW.

The things you find when you dig. I just found .60 ounces of US Hallertau burried in the freezer. So, .60 ounces of US Hallertau, and .70 ounces of East Kent Goldings gives me the IBU's I need. :mug:

Back