Scottish Ale Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieutenantDan

Reaction score
I am entering a Scottish ale in a competition, but not sure what category to enter it in. I have it narrowed down to "Amber & Brown Beers" or "Strong Ales".

I am not sure which it fits better in but it definitely doesn't fit the other options. Any advice?

Why would you do that when Irish & Scottish Ales have their own category? It's going to depend on the strength of your Scottish on whether you enter in 9A, 9B, 9C, or 9E.

Amber and Brown ales, but I'd mark 9C on your entry forms since the site says it's getting judged by BJCP style guidelines. Your OG is a little high for that, but too low for 9E. 1.062 is way too low for strong ales.

I think that's what I am having the problem with, do I enter the categories listed or those in the style guidelines?

It looks like you enter the correct BJCP category and then it will compete amongst all the beers types they're grouping in 11 groups.

Back