American Amber Ale Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkelin81

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1800ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
27 at 68
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Great, a dead ringer for the orginal
5lbs Munich Malt
4.5lb 2-row (Belgian)
16oz Victory
8oz Biscuit
5on Crystal 80L

Single infusion mash at 152 for 90min
Sparge with 170 to get desired pre-boil amount

Northern Brewer .8oz 60min (Leaf) 9.1%
Hallertau .6oz 15min (pellet) 4.3%
Willamette .25oz 5min (leaf) 5.7%

I know this recipe calls for more Victory than most, but I was not getting the bready flavors of with a smaller amount. Also, my secondary timing is a bit goofy. I never racked this beer, I just let is sit the primary for 41days until bottling at 3vols. This by far is the best beer I have ever brewed, i'm already doing a second batch of the same and I'm done tweaking this one. Don't worry if you taste after fermentation stops and it's not so great, it matures in days 15-40 to become something truly special.

I made ftc a few weeks ago. Came out black. Wasn't fat tire but still pretty good. Had chocolate malt in it. I should have realized what that would do. Maybe I'll try this one next.

Btw... Love the Willamete late-add there... I'm going to put this in my brew schedule and see when I can whip it up.

5lbs Munich Malt
4.5lb 2-row (Belgian)
16oz Victory
8oz Biscuit
5on Crystal 80L

I know this recipe calls for more Victory than most, but I was not getting the bready flavors of with a smaller amount. Also, my secondary timing is a bit goofy. I never racked this beer, I just let is sit the primary for 41days until bottling at 3vols. This by far is the best beer I have ever brewed, i'm already doing a second batch of the same and I'm done tweaking this one. Don't worry if you taste after fermentation stops and it's not so great, it matures in days 15-40 to become something truly special.

Do you know your water profile for Baltimore? I'm guessing Fat Tire uses very soft water (RO most likely). Thanks!

I went with a recipe from the 'green' board and its pretty darn close. Good beer at any rate! He toasted his own two row, not sure i did it right but it came out fine non the less.

So what does anyone who has brewed this recipe think of it? My father really loves Fat Tire and we cant get it here in NY so I am going to brew a "clone" (similar enough beer) for him. I just hate when I brew some random persons recipe and it comes out awful. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like it would be close with the munich in there. I haven't seen many clone recipes that call for target or goldings (I assume EKG?), but they all seem to go with NB for bittering.

I haven't tried going with American ale II or California V for the yeast, might give it a little more malt character than straight S-05/1056/001.

I can vouch for the green board recipe, like I said earlier, its pretty close, and toasting the grains is pretty easy and gives it a twist, but I really doubt you will be disappointed with either recipe.

I brewed this recipe in April. I did not stir priming sugar well and got very uneven carb that borderline ruined 35-40 of the bottles. But the ones that were carved properly were awesome. I'm brewing it again as we speak.

There is a very slight subtle taste that is not quite fat tire, but its so close its hard to tell apart. I also mashed a little higher (154) for 60 minutes and the body was just about right.

Fantastic recipe nonetheless

I am going to make this my next brew in 2-weeks (after I brew BM Centennial Blonde tomorrow....for National Homebrew Day).

Putting it in Beersmith now.....hmmmmm

Do you really need a 90 minute mash for this? Seems like 60 min would be fine

This is an interesting recipe. I tried a clone with WLP001 and yeast was really the wrong yeast for that recipe. May experiment with this recipe, but with a Belgian strain. Has anyone changed up the yeast?

I plan to give this one a go possibly this weekend. Even though this poster has only posted this one and only post. The recipe looks solid.

Brewed this yesterday but I messed up the base malts. I had 6 pounds of munich instead of 5 so I cut down on the 2-row. American 2-row was used as well.

I also used Nugget for bittering.

The LHBS only Crystal 90 so I just used 4oz of that.

Everything else was the same.

After brewing this I realized that the original also has different ingredients. Either way I'm sure this will be a solid beer.

5lbs Munich Malt
4.5lb 2-row (Belgian)
16oz Victory
8oz Biscuit
5on Crystal 80L

what is belgian 2-row?

Very tasty from the sample before bottling this weekend. This one is going to be great when it's carbed up.

Back