Novice meader needs help - specks and swirly stuff in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsarkon

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

So it has been almost three months since I started my mead. I transferred to secondary after 1 month and it has already cleared up quite a bit. I'm really quite pleased about that.

Last month I noticed some particulate matter floating but not really moving in the mead. It's just sort of suspended throughout the top 1/3 of the carboy. I'm not sure what it is so I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me analyze what's going on with my mead. There is also quite a bit of cloudy swirly stuff whenever I rock the carboy around. The swirly stuff seems to be coming from the whitish buildup that has formed about an inch below the top of the mead. It sorta reminds me of what sugar looks like after it has been dissolved in cool aid and is left to sit for awhile. You'll see what I mean in this video:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/32597930[/ame]

Thanks again for any help. I'm really hoping I don't have any problems on my hands here. If it is harmless "junk" if anybody has any ideas for separating it from the mead before bottling I would greatly appreciate and advice on that as well.

::fingers crossed::

-Tsarkon

I agree w/ avid, it could be yeast. Might also be some coagulated protiens as well. Either way, nothing to worry about. It looks from the video that you still have some significant clearing up to do overall -- I'd just give it more time (a month or two at least), and if it's not clearing up, consider hitting it with some fining agents.

Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on separating the mead from that stuff or do you think it will settle out?

Tsarkon said:
Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on separating the mead from that stuff or do you think it will settle out?

My first batch did this. I found it cleared up after I moved it to a warmer spot.

I would bet it settles out, but I've seen some residue like that in my cocoa mead that persisted for quite a while (I think it may have been related to some of the lipids that are in the cocoa...). Out of curiosity, what was your recipe?

In terms of separating it, if it doesn't settle out after time, I'd try some fining agents.

It's a traditional mead. I used 15 lbs of blackberry honey, water, and 1 packet of Lalvin D-47 wine yeast which I proofed before pitching.

It fermented really well and although it was warm (around 70F +/-) it has cooled off significantly in my Chicago basement :p meaderbaker has a good point. I haven't tried moving the mead to a warmer place so that might help. I'll take a temp reading when I get back from gorging myself on turkey and then I might try moving it to my room, that is after I've recuperated from thanksgiving.

Thanks again guys for the input. I feel a lot better :D

Oh and happy thanksgiving!

-Tsarkon

Back