Therminator vs 60 plate CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarhan

Reaction score
Keg cowboy offers a 60 plate chiller for less than $200. Is this any more efficient than the Therminator? Anything else I need to know before pulling the trigger on either one?

I bought the 40 plate from Keg Cowboy and love it. Used it two weeks ago and chilled 5 gallons to 75 degrees and into GE fermenter in under 15 minutes. I did use a pre-chiller (I live in TX) but have used it in the winter and it didn't take much longer. I have never used the Therminator but have heard from others that the 40 plate is about equivalent.

One trick I did was actually putting the plate chiller in the ice bath with my pre-chiller. It really seemed like it made a difference. Next batch I will try to remember to take a picture.

Yes. If you are looking for efficiency, the LONGER ones are better than the ones with more plates. More plates means more flow at high pressures (not important to us). Do yourself a favor and go for the longer ones. More plates mean a bit more efficiency (measured in surface area) but longer means exponentially more efficiency. Get a longer one with less plates (or as many plates as you want to afford).

This is a typical misconception re: plates. If you want, call the manu. of the plates that KC sells - dudadiesel.

I use the 30 plate small for 15 gallons and do a recirculating plate chill whirlpool (really tough on filtering) and get 10 mins to 120* and 10 more mins to 70*.

Living in south Texas I want the most efficient one I can buy for a moderate price point. I was shooting for around 200 buck to chill the wort.

@sankepanky- How does KC sell the Dudadiesel CFC for almost half the price?

Thanks for your help, I almost have everything to start my first batch, just caught up in wort chillers. I almost bought a immersion until I read about how CFC are better for really hot climates, now just narrowing it down so I don't have to upgrade later on.

Try this: instead of using a 40 plate chiller, use 2 20 plate chillers. The wort is run in series and the water is run in parallel. The wort goes through 2 cold cycles back to back.
This is the method we are currently employing on our stands.

@sankepanky- How does KC sell the Dudadiesel CFC for almost half the price?

Not sure what you're looking at. Looks like Duda doesn't even have the 50 plate small listed on their website. Might be a new item or a custom OEM (doubtful).

The price seems equivalent as a scale up from the 40 @ $94.

or are you looking at the 50 plate Medium?

Back