Bad lot of Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
My last few fermentations with US05 have been off. They've had long lag times, and slow ferments. I know this yeast very well, and I've probably fermented 20+ batches with it, so I know this isn't quite normal. My brew process hasn't changed, and I've had typical quick ferments with WLP007 in a recent brew. I just brewed a 1.070 IPA last night, properly rehydrated 1.5 packs of 05, and we're at 20hrs with no signs of fermentation. Just like my last 3 packs of 05, I'm sure it will take off in the next 12hrs or so, and slowly ferment out, I'm not worried but something is off. Ive double checked my fermentation chamber temp probe, it's fine.

Oddly enough, my attenuation is fine, but the yeast is slow to floc. These are all signs of poor yeast health. Anyone else having any issues with US05 lately? My packs expire 05/13.

Yes, last two fermentations have been extremely slow and taken a few more weeks to fall out. Beer has been fine, but I have noticed a difference.

Just bought a packet on Sat...Do you guys have the lot number? At least what I think is the lot number is the number above the exp date...

Where are you getting it?

How was it stored?

I have used US-05 a lot and have never had problems. It is a great yeast. That is what leads me to believe that it may be improper storage before you got it.

I just used a pack of US-05 on a batch of pumpkin ale on the 21st that I got from northern brewer and it started up just fine within a few hours. No starter or hydration either. Today is the 25th and it's just started slowing down.

This discussion won't go anywhere until you post expiration date. The OP is questioning packs expiring 5/13 not what you see with whatever batch you last used. If you use 05 check the date then post.

No, I bought like 6 packs at the same time, all from the same lot, I still have two left. I checked them before I pitched 2 last night. Packs say 71322 124 1659 expires 05/13.

Now for all I know these could have been handled poorly -- they all came from the same shop at the same time. I started this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue(I forgot the ? Mark in the thread title)

There is no need for panic, me beers taste fine, this isn't like the notty issue last year. Its just annoying when what normally is a four day ferment takes fourteen.

There is no need for panic, me beers taste fine, this isn't like the notty issue last year. Its just annoying when what normally is a four day ferment takes fourteen.

That's what the first guy that posted about the Notty problem probably thought. I saw that thread go nowhere because people were reporting results that were positive because no one was checking lot numbers. Maybe you have a local issue, maybe not. . Anyone else that has the same batch noticing a difference?

That's what the first guy that posted about the Notty problem probably thought. I saw that thread go nowhere because people were reporting results that were positive because no one was checking lot numbers. Maybe you have a local issue, maybe not. . Anyone else that has the same batch noticing a difference?

Well that and Homebrewtalks general nature of insulting the OP and others who dared question their favorite yeast, until one of the mods had the issue then it was butt kisses to the end.

I pitched S-05 (my usual method, just sprinkled it directly) onto a batch of Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA yesterday about 1130, and I have good airlock action this morning......maybe S-05 didn't rip into it the way it usually does, but I'm getting continuous bubbling in 18 hours. The information on my S-05 packet is: 71322 124 2130 / 05 2013......so it looks like the same batch of yeast.

i have some s-05 fermenting right now that i did notice were going slower than normal, but the packets are long gone now I have no clue when they expire

I'm at 36hrs, and finally getting some bubbles in blow off. As i said, definitely not what I'm used to with US-05.

pitched a rehydrated packet w/ exp 5/13 (don't have lot #) on sunday night at 10:30pm in 1.053 wort @ 64°

by time I got up at 7am on Monday the blowoff tube end in the sanitizer was slowly bubbling away

im hoping to cold crash and keg after 2 weeks for a party on 11/11 - i hope these guys don't feel like hanging around in my wort for too long

I hardly use either anymore. After two weeks the beer looks pretty normal and clear. I wouldn't call it so much a "bad" batch as but a slow motion fermentatiin as compared to usual.

For the ones that arent clearing fast, has Gelatine or Isinglas had a noticable effect?

Ya, cold crashing dropped the yeast just fine; my last three are crystal clear as usual. Three batches with US05 in a row, have had the same issue, this DIPA is the fourth. I've really been meaning to pick a 'house yeast', get a liquid pitch, and just keep washing for my pitches, but US05 is just so convenient i never have. This might be the push I need to do it.

Took a gravity reading today. 1.055 down from 1.071. For a beer with dextrose, and very little caramel, this is another very poor ferment.

have you asked your LHBS if they have had other reports from that lot with lag times and slow fermentation?

My last use of US-05 was very slow to start as well and took a while to clear. It fully fermented, actually it attenuated far more than I was expecting. I bought several packets at the same time, I don't know what lot or expiration they were but I'm going to have to use it again this weekend since I noticed my washed 001 had mold in the mason jar. Hopefully this packet behaves better.

I have a batch fermenting w/ 05 right now that seemed to start a bit slower than normal, and is still bubbling after almost a week (1.056 amber ale brewed on 10/23). I use a lot of US-05, and that stuff is normally done within about 4 days or so with a gravity like this. I know the whole "don't rely on your airlock" thing, but I am familiar enough w/ my fermenting equipment and this yeast to say that this doesn't seem normal.

I also brewed a brown ~2 months ago with what I assume was the same lot of yeast (purchased at the same time from LHBS, taken out of the same box, but I don't have the packet to verify that it is the same). That sucker was bubbling slowly for two weeks and took forever to clear. However, it finished at 1.018, which is pretty close to the 1.016 that I was expecting. That batch was also the first one through my new mash tun, and I would up mashing a bit hotter than I usually do for that recipe, so I'm hesitant to blame the yeast for that.

The brown came out with a bit of diacetyl, which I've never experienced w/ 05, but fermentation/pitching temps could have had something to do with that as well. The beer actually tastes pretty damn good, and the diacetyl is welcome, IMO.

Info on the packet that I pitched into my amber is 71322 125 1509, expiration date 05 2013. Note that the 5-digit # is the same as the other member who posted, but the 3 and 4 digit #s are different. Not sure what the significance of those #s are.

I logged on today to look into whether my batch was maybe contaminated: my 1050 IPA went strong for 2 days, then sat for 2 with no airlock activity at all, then started up again for the last day and a half going gangbusters and hasn't showed any signs of slowing.

I haven't been brewing long, but this seemed odd to me. Then I came across this post: I pitched US05 (just purchased, no idea on the batch #) . . .

Same issue here, brewed a light ale few weeks ago. Took forever to start, very poor flocculation. Lot # 71322 124 1652 exp 5/13, bought at my LHBS in WA state. Noticed strong Phenolic flavor on the final beer. Fermented at 67F.

Edit. Interesting, none of my S04 packs have a lot#, just exp date. All S05 packs do have a lot# and exp date. Weird!

Interesting thread. I had a IPA that I used 05 with a while back. I didn't seem quite right but I attributed that i F*d up someplace else. Maybe I didn't -- the beer wasn't perfect, but it wasn't terrible. I have since moved on to San Diego Super as my house IPA/IIPA ale yeast. Clean, fast and smooth. Best home brews I have ever had.

Anyone send an email to Fermentis regarding the batch of yeast? Seems like it would be a good idea to get the process started. None of my packets are 5/2013 so hopefully I'm ok. Current 01/2013 packet is going gangbusters.

my last US-05 batch was with 5/13 expiring yeast, it was slow to start, but once it got moving it acted as normal, and finished in about 5 days. This was on a fairly basic pale with an OG of 1.052. It came all the way down to 1.09 in 5 days, and then I let it sit for another 7 before I dropped the temp to crash it. I'll try to remember to report on the taste in a week or so once it gets carbed up (kegging it tomorrow).

I just did a 1.082 ale with US-05. Started bubbling 6 hours after pitching. Expiration 6/2013. So, if there was an issue, it does not seem to be a persistent one.

FWIW I pitched US-05 a few days ago, 71322 124 1510 05 2013, I was satisfied and was actually a bit surprised at the kruesen at around 24-36 hours.

I pitched a lot of US-05 yesterday that had an expiration date of 5/2013.. it has yet to start fermenting. If it doesn't take off soon any advice? Should I pitch another packet of US-05 or a different yeast?

I pitched a lot of US-05 yesterday that had an expiration date of 5/2013.. it has yet to start fermenting. If it doesn't take off soon any advice? Should I pitch another packet of US-05 or a different yeast?

Give it a little time. Noticable activity can take up to 72 hours.

That being said, I did an Imperial Stout last week. OG was 1.085, pitched two packets of refrigerated US-05 which I think had the 5-13 expiration (I don't normally pay much attention), and it was surprisingly slow to start up. It did eventually build up a nice kreusen, and I haven't taken a reading, but I've never seen US-05 this slow, and I us it all the time. Looks like I'm going to have to monitor this batch closely. (For the record, it smells fine, exactly like I expect, so I'm not too worried.)

My 1.071 DIPA is at 1.023 today. Still fermenting strong, it should make it down to 1.010 to 1.012. But it's day 6 now. This is usually a 4-5 day ferment for me

I pitched s-05 24 hours ago and The krausen is 1" thick. She's going like mad. It is: 71322 125 1825 05/2013.

image-3111468589.jpg

So the problem doesn't seem to be widespread with that particular exp date. Not so clear on batch numbers. Nice to compare notes using exp. dates and batch codes.

pitched an older this weekend... no probs quick start, checked my date on last pack still older stock... keep me informed ordered new.

I'm going to attribute mine to fluctuating temps: this fall weather & my thermostat has my heat going on and off. I don't have any temp control or heating pad on my fermentor. I think it probably just went dormant for a couple days.

Back