Do full boils make that much of a difference over partial boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldbrew75

Reaction score
I am brewing partial boils right, now but wondering if a big brew pot should be my next investment? Do full boils make that much of a difference over partial boils?

If you are only planning to brew 5-gal batches with malt-extract as your base, a 12-16 quart brew pot and partial boils should be fine. I'm sure that most of us would strongly recommend that you make sure that the water you are adding to your fermenter to bring the total volume up to 5-gal has been boiled beforehand to get rid of any contaminents that might degrade or even ruin your finished product (chlorines, bacteria, etc).

I'm not aware of any advantages to doing full boils when brewing from malt extract. Maybe someone else will having a different opinion on this.

You WILL need at least a 32-quart brew pot and a burner capable of full boils if you plan to brew all-grain batches.

You can make great beer either way. I do full boils now and think the beer tastes better but I also started doing full boils when I went all grain so it could have nothing to do with the boil size. With a full boil you will get better hop utilization since the sugars in the wort aren't as concentrated while you boil, a plus if you like the hoppier beers. If you don't have a chiller of some sorts you may want to purchase one when you buy your kettle to make chilling your beer easier. You didn't say if you were doing your partial boils on stove top or a turkey fryer but you will want to make sure you have a way to get around 6 gallons to a rolling boil.

It's a slippery slope once you start to upgrade your equipment and modify your processes.

:mug:

It's a slippery slope once you start to upgrade your equipment and modify your processes.

+1
I upgraded to an all-grain process about a year ago and it seems like, no matter how much I buy, there's always at least 2 or 3 purchases that I'm convinced will make my beer better. Right now I'm considering a stainless steel conical fermenter and a Blichmann HopRocket.

You can't make a 90 IBU IIPA with a partial boil.

Very true. I wasn't even thinking about the bittering side of things.

If you have the means and plan to be brewing for awhile, I suppose my vote would be yay... get yourself a brew pot and a burner capable of boiling at least 6 or 7 gallons with at least another gallon of head space. This way you will not be limited at all by the pot itself and it will be one less thing to buy if/when you go all-grain.

Thanks for the info guys. This is my concern if I move to full boil, I move outside..my stove can barely handle 3 Gallons. I am still doing extract, but hopefully moving to AG by the end of the year which means full boil. Guess I am answering my own question! Lol!

I recently purchased the Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer on Amazon for like $40 which comes with a solid propane burner and base, and I believe a 7 gallon pot. EDIT: Correction, it was $60..still worth every penny as far as I'm concerned :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Previously I'd been doing partial boils in my kitchen. The quality of this new pot may not be the best, but it does the trick and the entire process is just more enjoyable now as far as I'm concerned. We're sitting around the pot, playing guitar and drinking beer - it's more like being at a campfire than standing around in the kitchen.

Not only that, the color of my beers seem dead on where I used to have much darker beers due to caramelization in the brew pot. Even my pale ales were fairly dark.

Anyway, the proof will be in the taste. I was never dissatisfied with my partial boils in that regard, but there was room for improvement. I've got three batches in the works, one in bottles, one in the secondary and one in the primary so I can't say for sure how big of a difference it has made but my initial findings in every facet are that it's the way to go! Upgrade for the experience if nothing else :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone has made valid points... I typically boil about 75% of my water then top off. I think there are other things that you can do to get "better" beer then just doing full boils. I have accepted these facts...

1. you can top off with tap water. I've done it for two years with no problems (knock on wood)

2. I don't really care about hop utilization because the amount of hops I use per batch is pretty minimal. Plus, I buy in semi bulk fashion so make it even cheaper. At the most you maybe save about 20% of your bittering hops when performing full boils.

3. I don't want to pay nor worry about propane.

I've made plenty of fine tasting IIPA's only boiling 4 gallons. It sounds like I'm kinda in between partial and full boils though

I don't understand why you can't get 90 IBU in a partial boil.
AFAIK, the only reason all-grain brewers do all grain boils is
because they have to: the volume of water including sparge
is ~6gal.

Ray

YOu get better hop utilization with less malt,you could add half the extract at the end getting better hop utilization for the boil, its proabaly depending how much you are boiling in your partial to determine the hop utilization overall.

Color of the beer is one big advantage. Also I've noticed a little better head retention with full boils, or so I think. The flavors taste a little crisper, but then again I have no way to measure this just my opinion.

I don't understand why you can't get 90 IBU in a partial boil.

The limit of iso-alpha acid solubility in wort is around 100 IBU. When you dilute that wort with water, it is necessarily less than that. You might be able to make it up with hop extracts (IsoHop?).

I think it's time for me to step it up and get a propane burner for some all grain, outdoor brewing. The messes in the kitchen aren't appreciated either, lol.

Full boils don't change hop utilization..as per Yooper in another thread:

"According to John Palmer's new research, the wort gravity does NOT have a significant impact on hops utilization.

However, break matterial DOES. In a nutshell, all of the break material in the wort can "hold" some of the isomerized hops oils and reduce the utilization.

So, it's not the SG of the wort at all. He said that he was wrong when he wrote the it did. He was correct that the hops utilization suffered, but not for the reasons he first stated.

As Z mentioned, though, the calculators in Beersmith and other programs that figure it by wort gravity are close enough most of the time."

Here's another thread where I got schooled on the issue: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/extract-brewing-questions-265426/

msehler said:
Full boils don't change hop utilization.

Disagree. No matter how many alphas you pump into your partial boil, you can't exceed ~50 IBU if you dilute it with an equal volume of water. A full boil can potentially achieve a theoretical doubling of utilization over a half-volume boil.

Beersmith (and pretty much all homebrewing software) gets this wrong pretty dramatically. The formulas used by software are based on the old, mistaken belief that hop utilization is affected by wort gravity (pretty much all home brewing texts convey that myth too, though I'd expect it to be corrected in forthcoming additions of How to Brew and others).

Hop utilization is independent of wort gravity, and the impact (if any) of late extract addition on IBUs is much, much smaller than what software will calculate.

The most recent test on this was Basic Brewing Radio's experiment where they brewed the same recipe (same hop schedule) as a full boil, partial boil, and partial boil with late extract additions, then measured the IBUs of the 3 beers in the lab. Hop utilization was essentially identical (the three came out with nearly the same IBUs).
March 4, 2010 - BYO-BBR Experiment III:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

You can listen to John Palmer's "What is an IBU, Really?" from 20 March 2008 where he discusses the issue in some depth (including apologizing for getting this wrong in the most recent edition of How to Brew):
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2008

Now, there are some effects that often correlate with wort gravity that can impact final utilization--e.g. isomerized alpha acids can adsorb to break material. Those are much smaller effects than what brewing software calculates, though, and are pretty minimal in extract brewing (see the test above).

More discussion here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/estimating-bitterness-algorithms-state-art-109681/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/hop-utilization-178668/

As per https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/late-addition-hop-utilization-188394/

Are you implying that there is an IBU limit to what 1 gallon of wort can contain? Assuming a linear relationship (which I think it's pretty close), what is the IBU limit on a full boil, then?

IBUs are the measurement of light absorption (usually by bitter compounds). You can have over 100 IBUs, but the most that is perceptible to us by taste is around 100.

Before this thread turns into an argument on alpha acid solubility, which is probably better suited for the brewing science forum, I'll address the OP's question from my experience. I started doing full boils this year after a couple of years doing partials.

The advantage of color is certain. You can't get as light of an SRM doing a partial boil. That may or may not be important to you.

I perceive a difference in melanoidin formation as well. I think I am getting more melanoidins in a partial boil than I get with the same recipe in a full boil. That could be the difference in flavor that other people are reporting.

There are some disadvantages to full boils too:

You have to estimate your boil-off rate, which can be slightly variable and can involve some trial-and-error at first to dial in. This is not as easy as simply topping up the fermenter to the premeasured line. This only matters if hitting your OG is important to you.

Moving 5+ gallons of boiling wort is relatively less safe than moving a smaller amount of boiling wort.

Somebody touched on this before, but it is more difficult to quickly cool a larger volume than it is to cool a smaller volume.

In the end, I chose full boils so that I can BIAB. If you upgrade that kettle, think ahead. In order to keep a pipeline going in the future you might want to make a double batch from time to time. Kettles can be expensive, and your choice of kettle/chiller/burner or electric setup will all influence each other in some way because some of the options are incompatible with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 41,000 btu turkey fryer and 30qt pot for 49.99 at Meijer. I've been looking for a while and seemed like a good deal.

I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat someone's post.

Turkey fryer kits usually go on sale a few days after thanksgiving. You can already get one for about $60 online. With an after thanksgiving sale, it could be half that.

IBUs are the measurement of light absorption (usually by bitter compounds). You can have over 100 IBUs, but the most that is perceptible to us by taste is around 100.

Well, no. IBU are "International Bittering Units" and one IBU
is 1 part per million of isomerized hop oils. Typically this is
measured with a UV spectrophotometer (the stronger the
absorbance, the more oil). One part per million is equivalent
to one milligram in one liter. 100 milligrams would be somewhat
more than 5 drops, assuming 20 microliters per drop and a
density 10% less than that of water. I would expect the solubility
limit in water to be more like 1 weight percent, or 10 grams
(10,000 IBU) in one liter. I say one weight percent because
that's typically the solubility of oily solvents like toluene in
water, and the hop oils are actually more polar.

Ray

In the end, I chose full boils so that I can BIAB.

If you put aside your choice to do full boils so as to BIAB, do you really notice an improvement in the quality of your beer with full boil since moving from partials?

Well, no. IBU are "International Bittering Units" and one IBU
is 1 part per million of isomerized hop oils. Typically this is
measured with a UV spectrophotometer (the stronger the
absorbance, the more oil). One part per million is equivalent
to one milligram in one liter. 100 milligrams would be somewhat
more than 5 drops, assuming 20 microliters per drop and a
density 10% less than that of water. I would expect the solubility
limit in water to be more like 1 weight percent, or 10 grams
(10,000 IBU) in one liter. I say one weight percent because
that's typically the solubility of oily solvents like toluene in
water, and the hop oils are actually more polar.

Ray

No, you are wrong about an IBU being 1 part per million of isomerized hop oils! Though, I was also wrong about the light absorption. It is actually light reflection that is used to determine IBUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bitterness_Units_scale#By_bitterness

In reference to the IBU scale:
"This technique was adopted at the same time as another method based on measuring the concentration (in milligrams per liter; parts per million w/v) of isomerized α acids in a beer, causing some confusion among small-scale brewers.[12] The American Society of Brewing Chemists, in the introduction to its methods on measuring bitterness, points out some differences between the results of the two methods:"

I believe that you are one of the confused homebrewers referenced in the Wikipedia entry.

If you put aside your choice to do full boils so as to BIAB, do you really notice an improvement in the quality of your beer with full boil since moving from partials?

I wouldn't categorically say that my beer is "better" because I am doing full boils now, but it is different. Take BM's Centennial Blonde recipe for example. That has certainly changed in a good way. (I have only done the extract + grains version) It has a lighter color, more like I expect a blonde to look. The toasty flavors (melanoidins) are greatly reduced now, leaving a cleaner, more well-rounded flavor that allows the hops to have more presence. On the other hand, I actually enjoyed my Oktoberfast ale (partial mash) more when I had made it with a partial boil. The color was very close this year to last year, not that I care so much about color on darker ales, but I missed some of the additional melanoidin character from this brew. Next year I will do a full boil on this again but I will add a touch of melanoidin malt to the partial mash.

In short, I think the full boil has improved some of my brews, and I think I can adjust the recipes to compensate for those brews that were not as tasty when done as a full boil.

I also feel more confident about the sanitary transfer of my cooled wort from the spigot of my BK into my sanitized fermenter via a length of sanitized tubing. Much safer than pouring from a height and topping off with additional water.

No, you are wrong about an IBU being 1 part per million of isomerized hop oils! Though, I was also wrong about the light absorption. It is actually light reflection that is used to determine IBUs.

"This technique was adopted at the same time as another method based on measuring the concentration (in milligrams per liter; parts per million w/v) of isomerized α acids in a beer, causing some confusion among small-scale brewers.[12] The American Society of Brewing Chemists, in the introduction to its methods on measuring bitterness, points out some differences between the results of the two methods:"

I believe that you are one of the confused homebrewers referenced in the Wikipedia entry.

You have thoroughly confused yourself by taking
a quote out of context from the wikipedia entry.

From "Malting and Brewing Science" vol 2 by Briggs, Stevens and Young
p491:
"In the internationally agreed upon method, degassed,
acidified beer (10mL) is extracted with isooctane
(2,2,4-trimethylpentane) (20mL) and after centrifugation,
the absorbance of the isooctane layer is read at 275 nm
in a 1 cm cell against a blank of pure isooctane when
Bitterness Units (BU) = 50 x absorbance."

and p789:
"In beers brewed from fresh hops bitterness units are
approximately equal to mg iso-alpha-acids per liter."

and p790:
"By TLC the cis and trans iso-alpha-acids were resolved
and shown to account for 88-100% of the light absorption
of iso-octane extracts of beer."

No reflectance involved. These methods have been known
for quite a long time and there really is no point in debating
their existence.

Ray

Are you even reading what you are posting?

IBU measurements are done with light and they are a useful tool for approximating the amount of isomerized alpha acid in beer. It does not give you the ppm of isomerized alpha acids, but it is close enough to be useful for us as homebrewers.

IBU measurements are done with light and they are a useful tool for approximating the amount of isomerized alpha acid in beer. It does not give you the ppm of isomerized alpha acids, but it is close enough to be useful for us as homebrewers.

IBU's have been interpreted by both professionals and
homebrewers as mg/liter of bitter hop oils since forever.
Whether or not they are *exactly* equal is beside the
point. Everyone knows that they can't be *exactly* equal
because there are multiple hop oils involved and the absorbance
wavelength isn't specific for any one hop oil, it's just a useful
average that gets you close to the true value with a single
simple measurement. The original point I was trying to make
was that a partial boil does not prevent you from making a 90
IBU beer, and my original analysis of the amounts involved
stands.

Ray

Furthermore, there shouldn't be any problem
with color in a partial boil either, if you think
there is then just add the hops to the water
without extract at the times you normally
would, and then add the extract with 5-10 min
to go, enough to sterilize them.

Ray

I just bought a 41,000 btu turkey fryer and 30qt pot for 49.99 at Meijer. I've been looking for a while and seemed like a good deal.

Did you happen to check Academy before you bought? I got my 105,000BTU burner and a 32qt pot for $39.99. Maybe that deal doesn't exist anymore but i figured i would mention it in case you can return your purchase if Academy still has this.

You have thoroughly confused yourself by taking
a quote out of context from the wikipedia entry.

From "Malting and Brewing Science" vol 2 by Briggs, Stevens and Young
p491:
"In the internationally agreed upon method, degassed,
acidified beer (10mL) is extracted with isooctane
(2,2,4-trimethylpentane) (20mL) and after centrifugation,
the absorbance of the isooctane layer is read at 275 nm
in a 1 cm cell against a blank of pure isooctane when
Bitterness Units (BU) = 50 x absorbance."

and p789:

and p790:
"By TLC the cis and trans iso-alpha-acids were resolved
and shown to account for 88-100% of the light absorption
of iso-octane extracts of beer."

No reflectance involved. These methods have been known
for quite a long time and there really is no point in debating
their existence.

Ray

IBU's have been interpreted by both professionals and
homebrewers as mg/liter of bitter hop oils since forever.
Whether or not they are *exactly* equal is beside the
point. Everyone knows that they can't be *exactly* equal
because there are multiple hop oils involved and the absorbance
wavelength isn't specific for any one hop oil, it's just a useful
average that gets you close to the true value with a single
simple measurement. The original point I was trying to make
was that a partial boil does not prevent you from making a 90
IBU beer, and my original analysis of the amounts involved
stands.

Ray

Furthermore, there shouldn't be any problem
with color in a partial boil either, if you think
there is then just add the hops to the water
without extract at the times you normally
would, and then add the extract with 5-10 min
to go, enough to sterilize them.

Ray

So tell me fellas, your bickering above has helped the OP with his question in what way?

OP, for what it's worth, i think my beers have improved going to full boils only because i feel like i carmalize the sugars in solution much less so my flavors come out the way I intended them to. The problem with this question is that generally the upgrade question isn't a single upgrade at a time. Most people will get a kit when they buy a turkey fryer because that's how most retailers sell a turkey fryer. Also consider that people who are thinking about full boils probably are looking because they want to make better beer and a full boil is ingrained in this generation's homebrew segment as a surefire way to accomplish that (i won't go into whether or not thats fact or fiction). Hope that helps.

I can think of one that's indisputable: bittering potential. You can't make a 90 IBU IIPA with a partial boil. Do you have the equipment to measure actual ibus for bittering? Or is it hear say?

Back