Perlick 425 SS - vs - Two cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisendrath

Reaction score
Got two cats that like to scratch their faces on things.
Got two tap handles on my old kegerator.
Saw dammed cat rubbing dammed face on edge of nice handle.
Pictured 10 gallons of great homebrew on floor......
Connected two small bungie cords between tower and handles.
It works....

Now,,,, building a new keezer modeled after Quaffer's great post!
Don't want four ugly bungies on good looking new keezer.

Ideas anyone ????? (that the wife will let me do)......?

Possible retrofit the Perlick 425s with an internal return spring.......?

Wildwest - After the "cat controversy" surrounding your brew lean to build, I don't blame you.

Eisendrath - They make locks for tap handles to keep the children out, but I would think a bungee cord would work just as well to keep a cat from opening a handle, and it is a lot less expensive. Outside of that, I cannot think of anything.

Sorry, but beat the hell out of the cat when it jumps on the bar?

But simpler and more SWMBO friendly, lay foil on the bar surface. Cars don't like walking on it for some reason. Then they won't be up there near the taps.

And this is what you get for having cats in your house on purpose:p

Possibly small springs mounted from the tap handle back to the keezer that are basically autoshutoffs? You would need pretty hefty springs at that point on the handle though.

And it would be ugly.

Going on a cat hunt with a super soaker can be great fun after a few homebrews.

I used really aggressive plastic carpet runner flipped upside down to keep my dogs off the couches.

It doesn't actually cause damage but is really uncomfortable to lay or stand on. It didn't take long for them to stay off the couch.

You can buy it at any home reno store.

Cheers

Get a spray bottle with water (and I think you can safely add a bit of vinegar if they ignore straight water, but you'll have to check on that) and spray them in the face whenever they go near the bar/taps. Cats hate being sprayed in the face, and they usually learn quickly.

Rig up some fancy catapault system that will very rapidly and somewhat politely remove the cats from the tap area. Also, set up a video camera.

Hey, I never posted my solution:
I've now got one of McMaster Carr 1986K5 in each of my 425s.
When I let go of the handle at any position, it automatically closes.
$5.91 for six of them

Back